X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Old Sweater View Post
    Curt Who??????????
    say...how'd that Carl Pavano signing turn out for you..?
    sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by KenFougere View Post
      Of course getting the W is the goal in every game
      but, the better your teams' ERA, offense, defense etc. is, the better your chances of winning more games.
      Considering how people like Ken kept talking about how many wins the Beantown starters had, I figured that the win itself would still be important.

Oh yeah, the team has to win, not just the pitcher. Considering we're in the DH league, all a pitcher, catcher, defense can do is prevent runs. If the offense doesn't do much, the ERA isn't as important.

To me, a team has to pitch and provide great run support. In Arizona, once again, the Red Sox were flustered by Unit. Since both Johnson and Matsuzaka pitched 6 frames, Unit's 1 run was the difference to Matsuzaka's 2 runs allowed.

I'll agree that ERA is nice. However, great defense seriously improves this. To me, ERA itself is a team effort. If an infielder or outfielder misjudges a ball, a hard single could be turned into a stand-up double. If it goes all the way to the wall, it could even be a sliding triple. That increases the pitcher's Opposing OPS, and if they're 2 ducks on the pond, that ERA will rise. No ducks on the pond, 2 outs, the very same hit could be followed by a groundout. By this, I say that pitching stats, even ERA, can be misleading.

Onto the good news: Wang was superb in defeating the Snakes' ace and reigning NL CYA winner on Tuesday, and Moose went 7-2/3 and only allowed 2 ER. Yeah, that crazy ERA thing again. Still, Moose could've just as easily have lost 2-1, but instead, the Yanks are scoring so we won 7-2 tonight.

To me, I don't have time to concentrate on individual stats (or even team stats). If you win lots of games by 8-6, then you'd have scored many runs. You'll win, but those are ugly wins. Either the team's clicking on all cylinders (pitching, offense, defense, baserunning) or it isn't. That's why I don't bother worrying about all these team stats.

Now then, Beantown (as a team) got skunked 12-2. Schill went 5.0 innings, allowed 5 runs. I don't believe that this totally reflects the difference between what Colorado scored and what Boston did.

I have no idea why the batter in front of Helton was IBB'd, unless going for the DP, but the bases-clearing double must've surprised Tito.
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by SDL View Post
        He's pitched more innings in 2007 than Matt Clement has, that's for sure!

Anyway, Pavano isn't our ace. Wang and Pettitte (and perhaps shortly, Moose) are our co-aces. Schill got shelled tonight, lasting only 5 innings (with 5 ER). Matsuzaka has some very nice starts, but then he goes back and lasts just a few innings. I think he needs to be more consistent.

I've always felt that anyone's pen can be weak once it's exposed. While Boston's pen has looked strong before, once you don't have the option of handing the ball from starter to Okajima and then Paps, you're getting your pen exposed. While it's bad (for you guys & gals, anyway) that Schill gave up 5 runs over 5 frames, there were still 4 innings left. Over those 4 innings, 7 Colorado runs scored. I believe they're finally getting exposed.

Before, it was the Yanks overtaxing their pen since starters couldn't last very long. Now it's you people who may be having that situation repeat itself.
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Originally posted by KenFougere View Post
          Of course getting the W is the goal in every game
          but, the better your teams' ERA, offense, defense etc. is, the better your chances of winning more games.
          Would I prefer a pitcher who loses a game 3-2 and went 7 innings over one who wins the 8-6 game? Debatable. If it's late in the season and I absolutely had to win a game, sometimes you'll have to remember that certain pitchers get lots of run support. Others, the offense doesn't turn out for them, so they'll almost have to be perfect every time.

Moose used to be stingy with the pitching and got very little offense. It seemed like he'd want to win 4-2 every game. Once he got a lot of run support, he'd often fall apart. Must've been from his Baltimore days when he didn't get much run support. Anyway, he's pitching better now, went 7-2/3 innings. He'd gotten more run support tonight than did Wang on Tuesday and both won.

Oh yeah, tell Ortiz, Manny, Youk, Drew and the whole gang that you won't win many games even against a low-placed NL West team if you only score 2 runs. At least you'd thrown a nice 12-run party for them tonight!

Hiya, Ken!

Originally posted by Williamsburg2599
          Except in the Yankees case, where arrogance comes before, during and after the downfall. My arrogance? Your the ones who think you "have a shot."
          With the way Boston's been losing games recently, I'd be very surprised if they even made the playoffs. Unless they have a great July, then 2nd or 3rd place may seem very comfy by the trade deadline. You think I'm kidding you? I'm not.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/standings

Beantown = 4-6 in the L10 column; the Evil Empire is 9-1 for the same. Who should be really worried about having a "shot"? If Boston keeps playing like that, the "ya coulda been a contender" may not just be for boxers.
          Last edited by Mattingly; 06-13-2007, 11:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
            Beantown = 4-6 in the L10 column; the Evil Empire is 9-1 for the same. Who should be really worried about having a "shot"? If Boston keeps playing like that, the "ya coulda been a contender" may not just be for boxers.
            Says the guy whose team is 8.5 games back. Largest division defecit in baseball. Its funny what Yankees fans get excited about nowadays. :hyper:
            Originally posted by Domenic
            The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Westlake View Post
              Says the guy whose team is 8.5 games back. Largest division deficit in baseball. Its funny what Yankees fans get excited about nowadays. :hyper:

Yankee fans celebrate thier 9.5 games back deficit dropping to 8.5 games.

Comment

• Originally posted by Williamsburg2599 View Post

Yankee fans celebrate thier 9.5 games back deficit dropping to 8.5 games.
                I thought this pic was a peek into the future: Yankee fans celebrate their 27th WS win. :hyper:

If things go on like this, it won´t be impossible. Boston keeps losing, the Yanks keep winning.

Comment

• Yankees fans, remember:

We know we're gonna win the divison, or at least the wild card.. Let the Sox fans enjoy their 14.5 (oops, i mean 8.5.. last 2 weeks really F'd with ya, huh?).. cause we kno its not how you play in april/may/june... its how you FINISH.. and we finish.

Comment

• Originally posted by SDL View Post
                    I don't know why don't you ask Matt Clement? They hang out together a lot
                    2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly View Post

Oh yeah, tell Ortiz, Manny, Youk, Drew and the whole gang that you won't win many games even against a low-placed NL West team if you only score 2 runs. At least you'd thrown a nice 12-run party for them tonight!

Hiya, Ken!
                      Well, never let it be said that, (occasionally), we don't make our out-of-town guests feel welcome. I just hope we don't make it a habit . . .
                      Ken Fougère

Comment

• redsox fans dont make out of town guests feel very unwelcome, actually.. redsox fans respect the yankees

completely the opposite in new york and in terms of sox fans and the sox

Comment

• Originally posted by Yankeebiscuitfan View Post
                          I thought this pic was a peek into the future: Yankee fans celebrate their 27th WS win. :hyper:
                          I noticed "your peek into the future", didn't mention the year . . .
                          Ken Fougère

Comment

• Someone needs to check the calendar again because it's a little early for the "Swoon Season" in Boston. It usually comes around August and September. Just hang on it will be here soon enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveNYY View Post
                              redsox fans dont make out of town guests feel very unwelcome, actually.. redsox fans respect the yankees

How do you mean?
                              Ken Fougère

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveNYY View Post
                                redsox fans dont make out of town guests feel very unwelcome, actually.. redsox fans respect the yankees

I got yelled at by a tour guide at Fenway Park for knowing too much. Of course, I guess she didn't realize that Cincinnati is baseball (crappy baseball, but baseball).
                                Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X