This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mattingly

More Beantown excuses to erase the memory of Papelbon yielding the GWH to the man whom his "Nation" fans had come to spoof and wear wigs for. Oh, the horror that must've been on their faces as that ball rose and went deep into the RF seats!
    It probably compared to the horror that must've been on your faces, (only a lot more often), when Mariano blew save after save in recent years at the hands of your teams' most 'Bitter Rival' . . .
    Ken Fougère

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
      He's already said that if the fans appreciate him, he may stay. I seriously doubt that he'd have any takers for a 5-year deal. How can he possibly make even more than he's already making?
      NY fans & appreciate don't belong in the same paragragh let alone sentence! :P
      Dustin Pedroia was asked what the Red Sox need to do to turn it around. They have lost six straight and 14 of 21.
      “I don’t know. I’m not a magic person. I just play second base,” he said.

Comment

• Seems like the Yankees had a little trouble in the Sox game last night, when their starter never got past the second inning because of control problems. A-Rod may be great in the regular season, but let's look at him in the playoffs...

Does he have a...
        * World Series ring? Nope.
        * AL Champions ring? Nope.
        * hard time playing in the playoffs? Yep.

And there we have it. A-Rod can never deliever in the playoffs, so he might as well work at Pizza Hut or Domino's if he wants to deliever.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly View Post

^^ Beantown fans Ken Fougere, Williamsburgh, SDL & Solair Wright dressing up as blonds. Must've had lots of fun on Sunday!

Who are the players who grew beards after having left both teams?

BTW, it's either between Don Mattingly (who famously grew a mustache and had semi-long hair) and Girardi. I'd say that Donnie's the fave, since he's such a big star amongst Yankee fans. Pena could get consideration for his work in KC, but like Bowa, I seriously doubt this.
          Sorry, I got long (uncut since late '85) brown/gray hair and a gray beard...so it ain't me in the pic.

Let's see...Boomer Wells grew back his goatee after gettin' out of the Bronx..Oscar Gamble grew back his afro. Reardon gren his beard back after retiring from the Yankees.

When Pat Zachry was traded to the Mets by the Reds in the Seaver deal, he said he was growing a full beard to celebrate. Joel Youngblood did the same when he left the Reds. Ross Grimsley grew a thick mustache and let his hair flow when he escaped to Baltimore and then to the Expos. Will McEnaney did the same when he got paroled to the Expos. Rolie Fingers retired rather than shave off his mustache to play for the Reds.

Girardi won't ever get another chance to manage again. Would you hire a guy who beats the crap out of his players, is a anal-retentive control freak and tells his boss to shut up? From what I've heard, his players didn't exactly rush to his defense after the Marlins canned him.

Supposedly Donnie Baseball gets the gig after Torre is gone..but to be honest, he should get some minor league managing experience first. Bucky Bleeping Dent had to...
          Last edited by SDL; 06-06-2007, 11:43 PM.
          sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

• Well, to paraphrase Yogi Berra, it ain't over until my ex-fiancee sings..and since she's back in the Boston area, I can't hear her.

Sorry to pee on your parade but I doubt a repeat of '78 is going to happen...Terry Francona is no Don "The Gerbil" Zimmer...thank goodness...

Comment

• Originally posted by SDL View Post
              Sorry, I got long (uncut since late '85) brown/gray hair and a gray beard...so it ain't me in the pic.

Let's see...Boomer Wells grew back his goatee after gettin' out of the Bronx..Oscar Gamble grew back his afro. Reardon gren his beard back after retiring from the Yankees.

When Pat Zachry was traded to the Mets by the Reds in the Seaver deal, he said he was growing a full beard to celebrate. Joel Youngblood did the same when he left the Reds. Ross Grimsley grew a thick mustache and let his hair flow when he escaped to Baltimore and then to the Expos. Will McEnaney did the same when he got paroled to the Expos. Rolie Fingers retired rather than shave off his mustache to play for the Reds.

Girardi won't ever get another chance to manage again. Would you hire a guy who beats the crap out of his players, is a anal-retentive control freak and tells his boss to shut up? From what I've heard, his players didn't exactly rush to his defense after the Marlins canned him.

Supposedly Donnie Baseball gets the gig after Torre is gone..but to be honest, he should get some minor league managing experience first. Bucky Bleeping Dent had to...
              Boomer? Man, that guy's no good to me. Very good pitcher, but when your only redeeming quality is the ball that comes out of your left hand, I'd say that speaks for itself. Between his "Not Perfect" book and getting clocked by some small guy at an all-night diner, I can do w/o him. Honest, but if diplomacy means leaving certain things unsaid, I'd say he needs some.

Oscar Gamble's interesting. He shows up at every single Old Timer's Day and they always show his huge 'fro out there (wearing Yankee gear, of course). He must be the biggest-haired exception to George's rule.

Lou Piniella had a funny story the old timer fans repeat. Lou asked George Moses became a Yankee, would he have to cut his hair? George quipped (to paraphrase), "See that pool? Walk across that water and you don't have to cut your hair". Lou cut his hair the next day. Man, I can't get enough of that joke!

Who set the no-facial hair rules in the Reds camp? The late Marge Schott?

For Girardi, I guess he's being kept around because he'd preceded Posada and mentored him. I'm unsure if he'll ever even become a coach. Of the ex-Yankee coaches, Girardi, Mazilli and Randolph have managed, but only Randolph was appreciated by the fans, players and FO. Willie never managed in the minors either. In fact, neither did Yogi.
              Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
              THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
              Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
                Who set the no-facial hair rules in the Reds camp? The late Marge Schott?

For Girardi, I guess he's being kept around because he'd preceded Posada and mentored him. I'm unsure if he'll ever even become a coach. Of the ex-Yankee coaches, Girardi, Mazilli and Randolph have managed, but only Randolph was appreciated by the fans, players and FO. Willie never managed in the minors either. In fact, neither did Yogi.
                Actually, Mad Marge rescinded it in '99 when the Reds got Greg Vaughn. It was Sparky Anderson and Bob Howsam who instituted the rule in '72 at the same time that Finley was paying the A's to get hairy. When Anderson took over the Tigers in '79, he "suggested" that the Tigers become clean-shaven, but those who had mustaches didn't get rid of them. Sad to say, some of Anderson's old Red coaches who became managers tried to institute clean-shaven rules...Alex Grammas with the Brewers and Vern Rapp with the Cardinals. We all know that those two didn't last more than 2 years...Rapp got axed after 1 1/8 seasons highlighted by hiw war with al Hrabosky. The rule was ingrained into Reds ownership and after a poll in the local papers showed that most fans favored eliminating the rule, Mad Marge said Greg Vaughn could keep his goatee.

Girardi is a idiot...he instituted similar rules and did other nice things like beat the crap out of Scott Olsen, wish out loud thet he could replace Dusty Baker at wrigley and then tells his boss to shut up in public. Like I said before, not many players in Miami cried tears over Joey Pitbull's departure. For a guy who has a industrial engineering degree, he sure as hell didn't use it while managing the Marlins. Doubt he'll ever manage the yankees. you think king George wants somebody to tell HIM to shut up? Doubtful...

Comment

• Originally posted by Yankeebiscuitfan
                  Hey Boston? How are things right now? Lost four straight?

We are getting closer. Nervous already?

At this pace we will have overtaken the Sawks at the end of July.
                  Not nervous just frustrated with our lack of hitting at the moment, but it will come around sooner rather than later. Keep praying! :nosleep:
                  Dustin Pedroia was asked what the Red Sox need to do to turn it around. They have lost six straight and 14 of 21.
                  “I don’t know. I’m not a magic person. I just play second base,” he said.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yankeebiscuitfan
                    Hey Boston? How are things right now? Lost four straight?

We are getting closer. Nervous already?

At this pace we will have overtaken the Sawks at the end of July.
                    I noticed you ended your post with a praying smilie . . .
                    (you'll need 'His' intervention for that to happen).
                    Ken Fougère

Comment

• No need to worry.

Comment

• Originally posted by KenFougere View Post
                        I noticed you ended your post with a praying smilie . . .
                        (you'll need 'His' intervention for that to happen).
                        No. He must be a Bosox fan. Otherwise we would not have all the trouble with injured players (most pitchers)...

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Pinstripes
                          This is the correct Red Sox mirror. Get out of our way.

Touché . . . .
                          Ken Fougère

Comment

• :disbelief: - 8 2/3 innings. So-o-o close . . . -

Ken Fougère

Comment

• Originally posted by KenFougere View Post
                              :disbelief: - 8 2/3 innings. So-o-o close . . . -

And he DIDN'T hurt his hamstring.

Comment

• Originally posted by Williamsburg2599 View Post
                                And he DIDN'T hurt his hamstring.
                                Gives the pipsqueak kid a swift kick in the rear!

Now then, please be quiet and stop getting on Phil Hughes' case.

-The Grand Poobah

Now then, congrats to Schill. With that performance, he coulda been a Yankee. Of course, you can have him the other 4 days. He'd be a horse for us and a horse's ... ... the other 4 days for you folks.
                                Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                                Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                                THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                                Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X