Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Bitter Rivals Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
    I'm curious, when are you going to answer things other than those parts of a question which favor you? Such as the ones I'd asked?

    I'm not the least bit concerned here about any Pats, Bruins or Celtics players. This is a baseball forum, not some NE fan section.

    You'd mentioned Mike Lowell going 4-for-4. That's fine. I'd mentioned Alex Rodriguez. Did you read that part? Do you wish to compare Lowell to Rodriguez? Yes or no? Who's looking like the runaway AL MVP candidate? Can you even admit who this is w/o changing the topic?

    BTW, Don Zimmer was your manager. Who was the GM in 1978?

    So a RS fan is calling the Yanks cursed? This despite nothing from 1919 through 2003? That's quite a few years. So a 32-yr-old player is cursed? You sure you haven't been believing too much of the anti-A-Rod stuff the Yankee-hating media pours out? How would you describe Ted Williams, Carl Yasztremski and Barry Bonds then?

    I really think you need to put this anti-Yankee thing in perspective, since it's just a game.
    I'd take Lowell over A-Rod in a second. Lowell already has a WS ring (2003 ring a bell?) and maybe he never got that much ink playing down in Hell--oops--The Stadium Formerly Known As Joe Robbie but I'd rather have him than Mr. Overpriced. You bet I'm glad we never made the Manny & Lester for A-Rod deal.

    Maybe A-Rod will get the MVP..that's yet TBD. But look how Seattle actually played better for a while AFTER they let him go..same goes for the Rangers the season he left. Sure, he's been to the post-season with you guys...but he doesn't have any rings, does he?

    I can say the Yanks have been cursed lately...six post-season chokes in a row? Yankees taking lessons from the Buffalo Bills of the 90s?

    Zimmer wasn't technically the Sox GM; the GM was Zimmer(unofficially) and Haywood Sullivan. Those two clowns were joined at the hip. Didn't help that those two had their own PR firm on radio..two hack writers; Larry Claflin & Clif Keane aka "Clif & Claf." (we had a better name, I'm sure Ken F remembers what it was, but I won't say it here). Those two more or less were the voice of the front office and they were a joke...they reflected Haywood and The Gerbil. Not a surprise a few years later that after Haywood and The Gerbil were finally ousted at Fenway, Clif & Claf's show was cancelled. I personally hold Haywood & the Gerbil responsible for the '78 fiasco.
    sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

    Comment


    • Originally posted by SDL View Post
      I'd take Lowell over A-Rod in a second. Lowell already has a WS ring (2003 ring a bell?) and maybe he never got that much ink playing down in Hell--oops--The Stadium Formerly Known As Joe Robbie but I'd rather have him than Mr. Overpriced. You bet I'm glad we never made the Manny & Lester for A-Rod deal.

      Maybe A-Rod will get the MVP..that's yet TBD. But look how Seattle actually played better for a while AFTER they let him go..same goes for the Rangers the season he left. Sure, he's been to the post-season with you guys...but he doesn't have any rings, does he?

      I can say the Yanks have been cursed lately...six post-season chokes in a row? Yankees taking lessons from the Buffalo Bills of the 90s?

      Zimmer wasn't technically the Sox GM; the GM was Zimmer(unofficially) and Haywood Sullivan. Those two clowns were joined at the hip. Didn't help that those two had their own PR firm on radio..two hack writers; Larry Claflin & Clif Keane aka "Clif & Claf." (we had a better name, I'm sure Ken F remembers what it was, but I won't say it here). Those two more or less were the voice of the front office and they were a joke...they reflected Haywood and The Gerbil. Not a surprise a few years later that after Haywood and The Gerbil were finally ousted at Fenway, Clif & Claf's show was cancelled. I personally hold Haywood & the Gerbil responsible for the '78 fiasco.
      I guess we could argue all day, argue all night. I have better things to do.

      You prefer Lowell; I prefer Rodriguez. Anything unexpected about this? I say not.

      I remember when Red Sox fans complained about how often Yankee fans mentioned "Rings", and who's talking about them now? You, that's who.

      6 seasons w/o a WS ring? What were you saying when "1918" was yelled back and forth? Wasn't that slightly more than 6 seasons? Now who's talking about curses?

      If you prefer not to mention (or even acknowledge) 1919-2003, it's up to you. That's quite a few more than 6 seasons, but freely sidestep whichever facts you so choose.

      As to the '78 fiasco, feel free to discuss this under either "History" or the "Red Sox" forums. I'm sure that others will share their views.

      For the Seattle Mariners, have you ever heard of Ichiro Suzuki? He was never a teammate of Alex', but he did have a major influence upon Seattle winning 116 games & reaching the ALCS in 2001. However, Alex Rodriguez has helped the Yanks make the playoffs a few times also. Has Seattle done better than the Yanks since 2001?

      I've got better things to do here than argue about every single thing, especially since it was quite a few Red Sox fans who'd insisted that one certain "curse" hadn't existed.

      It's been almost 21 years for the Mets. Are they cursed? Believe what you want to believe. All I know is that I'd prefer to love baseball, the Yankees and other local teams, rather than hating other teams. Enjoy.
      Last edited by Mattingly; 09-12-2007, 09:04 AM.
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

      Comment


      • The magic number is now 12

        I salute Jose Tartabull who wore #12 in '67 and made THE throw of the year to get Ken Berry out at the plate in a game against the other Sox.

        (and as you know, somebody else in Boston/NEW ENGLAND wears #12 )

        Hmm...I could possibly see a clincher in person at The Trop
        sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

        Comment


        • Originally posted by SDL View Post
          The magic number is now 12

          I salute Jose Tartabull who wore #12 in '67 and made THE throw of the year to get Ken Berry out at the plate in a game against the other Sox.

          (and as you know, somebody else in Boston/NEW ENGLAND wears #12 )

          Hmm...I could possibly see a clincher in person at The Trop
          Your acting like it was just another win, but then again, It was ANOTHER Big Papi walk-off...Boring!

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Williamsburg2599 View Post
            Your acting like it was just another win, but then again, It was ANOTHER Big Papi walk-off...Boring!
            Something tells me that this weekend The Evil Empire is going to be praying that if they have a slim lead in the 9th that Ortiz doesn't some up to bat...
            sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

            Comment


            • Have any managers ever figured out that David Ortiz is a game-ending machine? Why does nobody walk him? It's like I'm looking at reruns of horror movies, yet the pretty girl always runs up the flight of stairs where the ghoul is. The audience says "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!" but she runs upstairs towards the ghoul, like on cue.

              Only Tampa Bay's bullpen could turn a blowout game (8-1) into a reverse rout (16-10). With a base open, why don't people believe in walking Ortiz?

              Oh well, our guys rested on Monday; yours on Thursday. Let the final showdown between teams begin, and hopefully, it'll be as peaceful at Fenway this weekend as it will be at BBF during the same time.
              Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
              THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
              Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
                Have any managers ever figured out that David Ortiz is a game-ending machine? Why does nobody walk him? It's like I'm looking at reruns of horror movies, yet the pretty girl always runs up the flight of stairs where the ghoul is. The audience says "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!" but she runs upstairs towards the ghoul, like on cue.

                Only Tampa Bay's bullpen could turn a blowout game (8-1) into a reverse rout (16-10). With a base open, why don't people believe in walking Ortiz?

                Oh well, our guys rested on Monday; yours on Thursday. Let the final showdown between teams begin, and hopefully, it'll be as peaceful at Fenway this weekend as it will be at BBF during the same time.
                Evidently other managers are dumb not see how how dangerous Big Papi is
                sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

                Comment


                • Originally posted by SDL View Post
                  Evidently other managers are dumb not see how how dangerous Big Papi is
                  Sometimes I'd like to count the ever-present "Clueless Joe" (as the scribes deemed him) amongst them. I don't remember the game, but it was around Game 5 or 6 in 2004. Flash was up, Papi leading off. Good record vs Ortiz, so he pitched to him. BOOM! Tied game. A walk and a single later, it was a tied game, corner runners, no out. Fine time to bring in Mo in the 8th inning. :o

                  Anyway, if I were the TB manager, I had a 1-run lead, especially since Manny's out of the lineup, why in the world would you pitch to Ortiz? Yes, he's had sore shoulder & back problems earlier in the year. Did he change his name to "Mr Pencil-Necked Geek" and have a calculator in his shirt pocket? Thick-rimmed glasses also.

                  Anyway, perhaps I'm over dramatizing it, but why not just put him on 1B? This forces him out of the game, since Tito uses a pinch runner, and allows a game-ending DP, since there's 1 out. If Pedroa scores, no more Ortiz. Seems like a win-win thing to me.

                  Nobody listens to that stuff. They all want their closer to go one-on-one with Ortiz. It's like drag racing your luxury sedan (Town Car, etc) against a Vette or a Mustang. Guess who wins, tells you what the towns a few miles ahead are before you even get up to speed?

                  Let's see if my boys can break out the brooms vs Toronto, a team that somehow manages to be their undoing.
                  Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                  Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                  THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                  Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
                    Sometimes I'd like to count the ever-present "Clueless Joe" (as the scribes deemed him) amongst them. I don't remember the game, but it was around Game 5 or 6 in 2004. Flash was up, Papi leading off. Good record vs Ortiz, so he pitched to him. BOOM! Tied game. A walk and a single later, it was a tied game, corner runners, no out. Fine time to bring in Mo in the 8th inning. :o

                    Anyway, if I were the TB manager, I had a 1-run lead, especially since Manny's out of the lineup, why in the world would you pitch to Ortiz? Yes, he's had sore shoulder & back problems earlier in the year. Did he change his name to "Mr Pencil-Necked Geek" and have a calculator in his shirt pocket? Thick-rimmed glasses also.

                    Anyway, perhaps I'm over dramatizing it, but why not just put him on 1B? This forces him out of the game, since Tito uses a pinch runner, and allows a game-ending DP, since there's 1 out. If Pedroa scores, no more Ortiz. Seems like a win-win thing to me.

                    Nobody listens to that stuff. They all want their closer to go one-on-one with Ortiz. It's like drag racing your luxury sedan (Town Car, etc) against a Vette or a Mustang. Guess who wins, tells you what the towns a few miles ahead are before you even get up to speed?

                    Let's see if my boys can break out the brooms vs Toronto, a team that somehow manages to be their undoing.
                    Don't think the sweep's gonna cost Maddon. He just got a extension. You and I both know that no matter what "Clueless Joe" is gonna be gone.

                    I'd lke to see Toronto explode against the Yanks.

                    Thought just hit me and I know Yankeebiscuit knows what I mean. The Yankees are thisn year's Italy...

                    I have three cans of chowder all set for consumption

                    Now all I have to do is to figure out how to get the wife out of the house Sunday night..am gonna have 2 TVs on..Sox/Yanks on ESPN on one and you can probably guess what the OTHER game (not baseball) is that I'll have on...
                    sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by SDL View Post
                      The magic number is now 12

                      I salute Jose Tartabull who wore #12 in '67 and made THE throw of the year to get Ken Berry out at the plate in a game against the other Sox.

                      (and as you know, somebody else in Boston/NEW ENGLAND wears #12 )

                      Hmm...I could possibly see a clincher in person at The Trop
                      That was also Mark Bellhorn's number...he of the 3 run opposite field shot off Lieber in the bloody sock game, and the ringing blast off the foul pole to restore order after Pedro showed us that the Yanks were still his Daddy.
                      Mark could have ruined things by actually playing for the Yanks the next year, but that ended up being a brief and almost unnoticed episode.

                      If I'm Maddon, why walk Ortiz in a game that is totally meaningless to the Rays...see if the young man can get the big stick out in the tight situation. Find out if the kids can get it done when things are tight. If it doesn't happen, so they win 69 instead of 70 games this year. I mean, don't lose the game on purpose, but just play the game straight and see if your closer can really get the big out.
                      Last edited by hellborn; 09-13-2007, 05:14 AM.
                      "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

                      Comment


                      • Mattingly - Why they pitched to Ortiz

                        If you walk Ortiz, you end up with a runner in scoring position where a single will tie it. In this case the next batter would have been Youkilis, who this year has a .457 slugging pct., a .391 OBP, and hits well with men on base. So it is not unreasonable to pitch carefully to Ortiz in that situation - prior to the at bat he had no walk offs this year, a bum knee, and so forth. That's what Tampa Bay did. Ortiz hit a pitch that was out of the strike zone, high, and but for the RF's miscue, the game would have been over. Walking him to get to Youkilis would have been perfectly reasonable too. A tough call, a nice piece of hitting, and a breeze from the Almighty...

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by SDL View Post
                          Don't think the sweep's gonna cost Maddon. He just got a extension. You and I both know that no matter what "Clueless Joe" is gonna be gone.

                          I'd lke to see Toronto explode against the Yanks.

                          Thought just hit me and I know Yankeebiscuit knows what I mean. The Yankees are thisn year's Italy...

                          I have three cans of chowder all set for consumption

                          Now all I have to do is to figure out how to get the wife out of the house Sunday night..am gonna have 2 TVs on..Sox/Yanks on ESPN on one and you can probably guess what the OTHER game (not baseball) is that I'll have on...
                          Which sweep of the D-Rays? They took 2 of 3 from us and 1 of 3 from you guys (remember ex-Met Scott Kazmir's 1-0 game?).

                          Anyway, I've heard of Maddon's extension. Getting to .500 again would be nice, since Baltimore has looked ready to be taken for 4th place for awhile now, not just this year. That's been TB's division standing to lose, and unfortunately for them, they have.

                          As to Torre, he's like the antithesis of what I want. He's like the 2nd half manager who only manages right when his feet's to the fire. All those times we could've won an extra 5-10 games (not bragging), he kept putting in Farnsworth, who would let the lead slip away. Sloppy defense and poor starting pitching doomed us in the first half. About 2 weeks before the break, many felt it was laughable that the Yanks would even contend. Now here we are, about 6 weeks later in contention. How you figure?

                          Torre has said again that he wouldn't mind returning. instead of an alternative choice, I'll sometimes take whatever's behind "Door #2" (if you remember "The Price Is Right" game show w/Monty Hall). He said the same thing nonstop all during the 2001 WS for manager interviews: "I don't even know if I've even got a contract next year". If he could manage like he does in the 2nd half, one with some sense of urgency, rather than just making endless excuses about why the game slipped away, but he didn't have the foggiest on how to replace players to give the team the best chance, then I wouldn't mind. If he only does this after having lost too many games, only to make futile attempts in August & September at coming back, then it'll be one very long several seasons.

                          The 2007 season, I'd definitely like to get a ring. However, if we do, then Torre & Cashman will easily return. If we don't, they may be fired. I'd like a ring, but sometimes I think that losing the WS is the only way to get rid of Joe Torre. Who replaces him? Don Mattingly? Joe Girardi? I don't know, but he's the front-runner for the 2008 manager.

                          Toronto has often given us trouble. I told you that TB was a spoiler. Despite blowing the last 2 games, they had serious chances to win both games and could've swept. Coulda-woulda-shoulda, but didn't, but they did try. Just lousy execution, especially when their pen changed a blowout into a reverse blowout.

                          What do you mean by this year's Italy? Joltin' Joe DiMaggio? Scooter (or his famous cannolis)? Yogi (and his Yogi-isms)?
                          Last edited by Mattingly; 09-13-2007, 10:37 AM.
                          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
                            What do you mean by this year's Italy? Joltin' Joe DiMaggio? Scooter (or his famous cannolis)? Yogi (and his Yogi-isms)?
                            I am referring to the European Olympic Qualfiers which are going on in Barcelona. Italy was supposed to be one of the two teams that had a better than 85% chance to win and get an automatic berth in Beijing..or at least qualify for the Final Eight Tourney, where they they'd have a great chance to win a slot there. They finished 4th in the firrt round (only top three from each group advance to next round; they will finish 5th overall). In other words, they were supposed to fight The Netherlands for a trip to Beijing, but they'll be watching from home.

                            Kind of like what I'm hoping for King George and his not-so-merry crew.

                            (sorry for going OT, but I cover International baseball as part of my day job)

                            I know Jeter lives down here...hope he contacted that miniature golf course on US 19 in Clearwater about his October 1 tee-off date...
                            sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by SDL View Post
                              I am referring to the European Olympic Qualfiers which are going on in Barcelona. Italy was supposed to be one of the two teams that had a better than 85% chance to win and get an automatic berth in Beijing..or at least qualify for the Final Eight Tourney, where they they'd have a great chance to win a slot there. They finished 4th in the firrt round (only top three from each group advance to next round; they will finish 5th overall). In other words, they were supposed to fight The Netherlands for a trip to Beijing, but they'll be watching from home.

                              Kind of like what I'm hoping for King George and his not-so-merry crew.

                              (sorry for going OT, but I cover International baseball as part of my day job)

                              I know Jeter lives down here...hope he contacted that miniature golf course on US 19 in Clearwater about his October 1 tee-off date...
                              To tell you the truth, the playoffs are extremely funny. When the 83-win Cards won the last WS, I couldn't help but wonder how that could be. The Yanks won about 85 in 2000, had the most September losses (around 20) of any WS winner in MLB history. Weird, huh?

                              The Yanks have on paper a great team, but they need to play well down the stretch. Between Anaheim and a few other teams, we haven't gotten that done the last few years.

                              I figure that "Top 3" thing can be sorta like how the HR Derby Contest is: you'll need just enough jacks to get you past the 1st round, then just enough to get you past the 2nd, etc. Same with the playoffs. You'll need just enough runs to win the LDS, then the LCS. You'll need just enough runs to win 4 games. Get too many runs in one game, you may not have enough for the 2nd. Perhaps Italy may have not gotten enough runs to get to the next level.

                              Hopefully, the Yanks can win 2 of 3 this weekend. I wouldn't expect a sweep in either direction.

                              Oh well, so long as the WC is available, I can deal with it if we happen to not win the division. Of course, if we do win this, that'll be extra gravy on the meat & mashed taters , and a little extra dressing on the salad!

                              Gotta run, see ya around this weekend.
                              Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                              THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                              Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                              Comment


                              • Who knows, come next season we might have [email protected] & [email protected]!

                                Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
                                I'm curious, when are you going to answer things other than those parts of a question which favor you? Such as the ones I'd asked?

                                I'm not the least bit concerned here about any Pats, Bruins or Celtics players. This is a baseball forum, not some NE fan section.

                                You'd mentioned Mike Lowell going 4-for-4. That's fine. I'd mentioned Alex Rodriguez. Did you read that part? Do you wish to compare Lowell to Rodriguez? Yes or no? Who's looking like the runaway AL MVP candidate? Can you even admit who this is w/o changing the topic? Let me start it off.

                                Lowell has 18 jacks and 103 RBI. Compare that to Alex' 52 and 140 RBI, then an OPS that's almost 1.100. That's about .220 higher. One is a very good hitting third bagger most teams would enjoy having. Another is an elite athlete.


                                BTW, Don Zimmer was your manager. Who was the GM in 1978? Did Zim have a role in Reggie Cleveland's trade? If so, please specify.

                                So a RS fan is calling the Yanks cursed? This despite nothing from 1919 through 2003? That's quite a few years. So a 32-yr-old player is cursed? You sure you haven't been believing too much of the anti-A-Rod stuff the Yankee-hating media pours out? How would you describe Ted Williams, Carl **Yasztremski and Barry Bonds then? I really can't stand bringing up their names, but none of them have any rings either. Nothing can ever change that.

                                I really think you need to put this anti-Yankee thing in perspective, since it's just a game.
                                Let me put it this way.
                                Mike Lowell, in my opinion, is ,without question, the MVP of the Red Sox.
                                Alex Rodriguez, in my opinion, is ,without question, the MVP of BOTH Leagues.

                                With that said, guess which one I'd rather have . . .



                                ** (Spelled): Yastrzemski
                                Ken Fougère

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X