This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Kid View Post
    All right, oh leader of the Yankees on BBF, I challenge you to a little bet, to see how confident you are in Brian Cashman and Hank Stienbrenner. Whoever's team signs the bigger free agent this offseason (from this piont on!) must have a banner displaying "YANKEES or RED SOX ROCK!" in bright, red or black letters for an entire week. What do you say, Mattingly?
    I love how you say from this point on. After the Yankees have signed two of the top free agents in baseball. A-Rod who their is no bigger free agent than him and Rivera who was the best closer on the market.

Neither team will also probably signj any big free agents anyway. Saying that the Yankees signing of Jose Molina is the bigger than the Red Sox signing of some bench player is pretty meaningless. The Yankees have already done most of their free agent signings.

Aren't these the same Boston fans that constantly complain about the Yankees going out and buying all the best players and bragging about how signing the biggest free agents don't really help?

I`d take that bet easily even though it wasn't directed at me.

Anyway, I hope evryone in the US had a good Thanksgiving
    2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

• Originally posted by The Kid View Post
      All right, oh leader of the Yankees on BBF, I challenge you to a little bet, to see how confident you are in Brian Cashman and Hank Stienbrenner. Whoever's team signs the bigger free agent this offseason (from this piont on!) must have a banner displaying "YANKEES or RED SOX ROCK!" in bright, red or black letters for an entire week. What do you say, Mattingly?
      So, I, with the most posts on BBF, am expected to accept a bet with someone who has all of one post here? Hey, pal, what's in it for me?

Why don't you change "from this point on" to "this offseason", with the word "offseason" being defined as beginning on the day after the end of the 2007 World Series, and ending on the day before the 2008 regular season?

If that were the case, I'd have already won, since Alex Rodriguez became a free agent and was re-signed by the Yankees. While I like Mike Lowell, does anyone think he's a bigger star than A-Rod? Is he even a bigger star than Miguel Cabrera, who gets more interest, despite the king's ransom in players his team would expect for him via trade?

Between the "from this point on" thing, to your having all of 1 post, something smells fishy about your post. That you even would come to think that I'm the so-called leader of the Yanks here on BBF (which I'm not if you really knew us) shows to me that you may not just be the innocent passerby that you make yourself out to be.

I also don't understand why the color choices would be red or black. Why not red or navy blue?

No thanks on the bet. Enjoy your day, however.
      Last edited by Mattingly; 11-23-2007, 12:33 AM.
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by Mariano_Rivera View Post
        I love how you say from this point on. After the Yankees have signed two of the top free agents in baseball. A-Rod who their is no bigger free agent than him and Rivera who was the best closer on the market.

Neither team will also probably signj any big free agents anyway. Saying that the Yankees signing of Jose Molina is the bigger than the Red Sox signing of some bench player is pretty meaningless. The Yankees have already done most of their free agent signings.

Aren't these the same Boston fans that constantly complain about the Yankees going out and buying all the best players and bragging about how signing the biggest free agents don't really help?

I`d take that bet easily even though it wasn't directed at me.

Anyway, I hope evryone in the US had a good Thanksgiving
        My advice is to never take a bet with a newbie. The odds are greatly in their favor, and the low-risk thing of their not even having to show up after a loss is another obvious thing they don't mind one bit.

I'd say it's like if you made a bet with someone for $5. Not that I recommend it, but if they win, they've got money to show they could pay; if they lose, they somehow have trouble paying. People like that, I don't have much time for, and this forumer came with the cheesy excuses made in advance.

I'd just give a simple "no thank you", since from this point on, I don't see the Yanks signing any more big-name free agents. If they'd signed for Aaron Rowand, I'd be happy. The Indians signed a Japanese closer, and if we'd done that, we could have an excellent setup man for the next year or so, and he could take over for Mo sometime in 2009, putting Joba in the rotation in 2008.

Who are we going to argue about? Which low-level FA is higher valued? To me, it's a wasteful battle, and the fact that the newbie has mentioned "from this point on" indicates that he/she has no confidence that Boston will ever sign a free agent bigger than Messrs Rodriguez, Posada and Rivera.
        Last edited by Mattingly; 11-23-2007, 12:19 AM.
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Originally posted by JordanDL3891 View Post
          ok, and I respect the gutless fans that root for all boston/new england teams.
          I have no idea why you'd say this. I'm just catching up here on this thread.

If someone was from the New England area, then I have no idea how, if they've got one MLB, NBA, NHL & NFL team in the whole area, that they would be "gutless" for rooting for those teams. Only one team for each of the above-mentioned sports in that whole multi-state region to root for.

If someone has lived for many years in New England, or at least worked or went to school there for several years, I wouldn't consider rooting for the NE teams to be "gutless" in any way.

I think that I'd have more criticism for the NY/NJ area fans who'd rooted for the New England teams, yet had absolutely no ties to the NE area, nor had they rooted for those teams before they'd started winning.

Whether or not someone was a "bandwagoner" is the key word here, I'd think.

Comment

• To SDL

Yo SDL!
            Even if there was a conflict with Giambi's number 25, which Girardi has usually worn throughout his career, Yankees ownership or their publicity department were quick to urge Girardi to take # 27 instead, with all the World's Championship implications that that would involve.

Comment

• Originally posted by JCStone07 View Post
              I wasn't talking about Drew, but you could add him to the list. I find it funny that Boston fans rag on him all year and has one good hit and now he's awesome.
              Its funny how he has a world series ring, and every Braves player was at home in October too. Come back when you finish in the top 2 in your division.

Haha, talking trash about paying 100 mil for an under-performing pitcher, how's Mike Hampton working out for you?
              Originally posted by Domenic
              The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

• Soon I get rid of this disgusting outfit
                2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

• * Merry Christmas, Bitter-Rivals 'Post'ers . . . *
                  Attached Files
                  Ken Fougère

Comment

• Happy Yankee Christmas Everybody!

And may Dice-K get lit up like a Christmas tree in 2008!

Comment

• Have a merry Red Sox Christmas everyone from the Boston Red Sox. May you all have a safe and wonderful Christmas Day. May Phil Hughes get lit up in the 2008 season like outdoor Christmas decorations!!

Comment

• Don't forget, y'all got a few at the beginning of last century also. Afterwards, the doors were shut for good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
                          Don't forget, y'all got a few at the beginning of last century also. Afterwords, the doors were shut for good.

Yes, that's true.
                          Following that logic, you'll have your next championship by 2023 . . .

(Remember: Patience is a virtue!)
                          Ken Fougère

Comment

• Originally posted by KenFougere View Post
                            [INDENT]Yes, that's true.
                            Following that logic, you'll have your next championship by 2023 . . .
                            If that would mean that we will win another 26 this century, I could live with that.

And even better, if that would mean that 2018 would be your last WS title for 86 years to come... priceless

Comment

• Fool us once . . .

Originally posted by Yankeebiscuitfan View Post
                              If that would mean that we will win another 26 this century, I could live with that.

And even better, if that would mean that 2018 would be your last WS title for 86 years to come... priceless
                              But, a 'Babe Ruth' certainly won't be coming your way via Boston this century . . .
                              Ken Fougère

Comment

• I'd like to sincerely wish the (success-starved) New York fans something to cheer about this year.

(Not even you guys should have to endure the failures of the Yanks, Mets, Jets & Knicks in the same season again . . . )
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by KenFougere; 01-01-2008, 03:55 AM.
                                Ken Fougère

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X