Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mattingly, if you don't respond you are a coward!

All right, oh leader of the Yankees on BBF, I challenge you to a little bet, to see how confident you are in Brian Cashman and Hank Stienbrenner. Whoever's team signs the bigger free agent this offseason (from this piont on!) must have a banner displaying "YANKEES or RED SOX ROCK!" in bright, red or black letters for an entire week. What do you say, Mattingly?
    "He studied hitting like a broker studies the stock market, how a scribe studies the scriptures" - Carl Yastrzemski on Ted Williams

"The greatest clutch hitter in Red Sox history has done it again! Big Papi!" - Don Orsillo's call of Ortiz's walk-off single

Comment

• Dear Beantown,

It didn't happen. It was a dream y'all were having.

Now go back to sleep!
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
        Dear Beantown,

It didn't happen. It was a dream y'all were having.

Now go back to sleep!
        Acutally, YOUR nightmare is about to begin..

sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by SDL View Post
          Acutally, YOUR nightmare is about to begin..

Yeah, well finally we get a manager who actually wants to travel around in the off-season and see how thnings go as far as who we see.

I'll take Girardi. Not perfect, but at least I don't have to worry about him acting like he's being catered to. He took a few coaches, but no A-Rod, Mo or any of the 2007 Yanks on his squad. He can have Giambi and Pavano if he wants.

If only that 2090 thing had lived true.

Anyway, it'll never happen againfor a million years this time!
          Last edited by Mattingly; 11-22-2007, 12:42 AM.
          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Some of us have alot to be thankful for.
            Others . . . not so much.

Ken Fougère

Comment

Yeah, well finally we get a manager who actually wants to travel around in the off-season and see how thnings go as far as who we see.

I'll take Girardi. Not perfect, but at least I don't have to worry about him acting like he's being catered to. He took a few coaches, but no A-Rod, Mo or any of the 2007 Yanks on his squad. He can have Giambi and Pavano if he wants.

If only that 2090 thing had lived true.

Anyway, it'll never happen againfor a million years this time!
              You have a manager who looks like he could be a hit man on The Sopranos, a guy who is a anal-retentive bully who slaps players around and disrespects his bosses.

Can't wait to see the fisrt fight between him and King George...it'll be Billy Martin redux...

Comment

You have a manager who looks like he could be a hit man on The Sopranos, a guy who is a anal-retentive bully who slaps players around and disrespects his bosses.

Can't wait to see the fisrt fight between him and King George...it'll be Billy Martin redux...
                I'll accept as truth what you'd said about him in the Florida forum re his one year there. However, he's different over here. He's Posada's predecessor, and after some reported difference, Posada said he had no problem playing for Girardi.

I don't worry about his looks. Torre looked like a sad-faced person and while he doesn't look like a goon, his endless excuse-making was getting on my nerves.

I'd prefer to see what actually happens. Girardi will have a mix of vets and young guys out there, so I don't believe he'd be able to get away with some of the nonsense he'd been allowed in Miami.

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving. Oh, and no chowda is allowed today!

Comment

• Cubs - Everyone
                  :radio Please check out my collection of vintage baseball recordings:

http://www.oldtimesports.net/users/AWilliams

Comment

• Originally posted by NineWorldSeries View Post
                    Cubs - Everyone
                    There are Cubs fans in Ohio? I thought that Ohio residents were either Indians or Reds fans?

Comment

• Buzz-Cut Joe

This Girardi guy reminds me of the most gung-ho gym teacher/ assistant high school football coach that ever lived. He was okay at first (in small doses )but every player hated his guts by the end of the season. That Girardi would select # 27 for his uniform number, to indicate that the Yankees are in search of their 27th Worlds' Championship is like painting a giant bullseye on your back at a rifle range.

Comment

• Originally posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
                        This Girardi guy reminds me of the most gung-ho gym teacher/ assistant high school football coach that ever lived. He was okay at first (in small doses )but every player hated his guts by the end of the season. That Girardi would select # 27 for his uniform number, to indicate that the Yankees are in search of their 27th Worlds' Championship is like painting a giant bullseye on your back at a rifle range.
                        Joey Pitbull (leave us face it, he looks like one) took #27 because Giambi has his old #25.

You're right about the gym-teacher look. I can just see him in the gym in his white t-shirt with "Property of XXXX HIgh School" on it, whistle ariund his neck, white gym shorts, calf-high socks and crisp white sneakers ordering laps and pushups for guys who screw up. And given his USMC grooming standards, him having a couple of his jock students grabbing longhairs and playing barber would have fit.

Trust me...players in the Yankee clubouse are gonna hate Joey Pitbull...

This a manager? Looks more like a prison guard...or a hit man on The Sopranos...

Comment

• I still wonder why he was given a 3-year deal. In either case, I'm not the only one who got tired of the Yanks losing the ALDS for the last 3 seasons.

For #27, yes, that's a big bullseye on his back. Then again, I don't like A-Rod's #13, worn for former Dolphins QB Dan Marino, as Alex went to school in Miami. It's like now the 27th WS win is a "do or die" thing, rather than the previous "failed season".

After some hitting coach was fired after Phil Hughes, the most prized of the young lions, hurt his hamstring, I'd say that Girardi would be taking the absolute worst advice if he ever tried enforcing military discipline or "court marshal" of any type on the young guys. He'd never get away with this against Posada, Jeter, Mo or A-Rod.

Like I said, it'll take time, and we'll have to get used to him. If we can win some games and guys don't have to do "20 laps" after every loss, we should be fine.

Now then, y'all get on the floor and give me 50 pushups!

Comment

Joey Pitbull (leave us face it, he looks like one) took #27 because Giambi has his old #25.

You're right about the gym-teacher look. I can just see him in the gym in his white t-shirt with "Property of XXXX HIgh School" on it, whistle ariund his neck, white gym shorts, calf-high socks and crisp white sneakers ordering laps and pushups for guys who screw up. And given his USMC grooming standards, him having a couple of his jock students grabbing longhairs and playing barber would have fit.

Trust me...players in the Yankee clubouse are gonna hate Joey Pitbull...

This a manager? Looks more like a prison guard...or a hit man on The Sopranos...
                            Edited to add...

Joey Pitbull also looks like this character from Beavis & Butthead...certainly acted like him while managing the Marlins

Comment

There are Cubs fans in Ohio? I thought that Ohio residents were either Indians or Reds fans?
                              Who knows..it's possible somebody moved out of ChiTown to Ohio. Heck, I moved from Boston to Florida

Comment

• Originally posted by The Kid View Post
                                All right, oh leader of the Yankees on BBF, I challenge you to a little bet, to see how confident you are in Brian Cashman and Hank Stienbrenner. Whoever's team signs the bigger free agent this offseason (from this piont on!) must have a banner displaying "YANKEES or RED SOX ROCK!" in bright, red or black letters for an entire week. What do you say, Mattingly?
                                I love how you say from this point on. After the Yankees have signed two of the top free agents in baseball. A-Rod who their is no bigger free agent than him and Rivera who was the best closer on the market.

Neither team will also probably signj any big free agents anyway. Saying that the Yankees signing of Jose Molina is the bigger than the Red Sox signing of some bench player is pretty meaningless. The Yankees have already done most of their free agent signings.

Aren't these the same Boston fans that constantly complain about the Yankees going out and buying all the best players and bragging about how signing the biggest free agents don't really help?

I`d take that bet easily even though it wasn't directed at me.

Anyway, I hope evryone in the US had a good Thanksgiving
                                2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X