This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Yankees2k6 View Post
    Why "Red Sox"? It should be "Red Socks". It's not hard to put in "cks" in a team name.
    And then JSF19 is calling me grammar police...

Comment

• you got that right

Comment

• I'm a grammar police.

No "X" in place of "cks"
        http://lh5.ggpht.com/_Q_Zerpnj63I/Sa...flbot-qUQb.jpg

Comment

• you'll never take us alive!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Yankeebiscuitfan View Post
            Let me put it this way: I am not very keen on the Steinbrenners. Not Hank and certainly not George.
            Finally something sensible coming out of the mouth of a Yankees fan :bowdown:
            Best posts ever:
            Originally posted by nymdan
            Too... much... math... head... hurts...
            Originally posted by RuthMayBond
            I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

• Originally posted by efin98 View Post
              Well, he and I share the same citizenship, so he's not all bad
              sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

Oh dear. Hell has frozen over. A Red Sox fan who is telling that a Yankee fan says something sensible.

Comment

• What's with this "Yankees" stuff, anyway?

--------------
                  The Oxford English Dictionary states that one of the earliest theories on the word derivation is from the Cherokee word "eankke" for coward as applied to the residents of New England. Also, as the Northeastern Native American approximation of the words English and Anglais.[5] It has been rejected by some linguists.[6]

The Oxford English Dictionary suggests the most plausible origin to be that it is derived from the Dutch first names "Jan" and "Kees".
                  --------------

OK, I liked the coward stuff until it said it originally applied to New Englanders (even though I'm not a native of that region). Too dangerous to tread there after that factoid.
                  The second one is even better, because it explains the allegiance of the YBF.
                  New York Jan Kees...I like it!!!
                  "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

• Originally posted by hellborn View Post
                    What's with this "Yankees" stuff, anyway?

--------------
                    The Oxford English Dictionary states that one of the earliest theories on the word derivation is from the Cherokee word "eankke" for coward as applied to the residents of New England. Also, as the Northeastern Native American approximation of the words English and Anglais.[5] It has been rejected by some linguists.[6]

The Oxford English Dictionary suggests the most plausible origin to be that it is derived from the Dutch first names "Jan" and "Kees".
                    --------------

OK, I liked the coward stuff until it said it originally applied to New Englanders (even though I'm not a native of that region). Too dangerous to tread there after that factoid.
                    The second one is even better, because it explains the allegiance of the YBF.
                    New York Jan Kees...I like it!!!
                    Etymology is a bit difficult in some cases. Most of the time it is obvious where a word comes from but in this case... Both sound very plausible to me.

Comment

Etymology is a bit difficult in some cases. Most of the time it is obvious where a word comes from but in this case... Both sound very plausible to me.
                      New York was a former Dutch colony...that seems most likely due to that tie in.
                      Best posts ever:

Comment

Oh dear. Hell has frozen over. A Red Sox fan who is telling that a Yankee fan says something sensible.
                        who'd think that would happen. too bad i'm probably gonna start a blood feud with you when the season starts:cap:

Comment

• Originally posted by JerseySoxFan19 View Post
                          who'd think that would happen. too bad i'm probably gonna start a blood feud with you when the season starts:cap:
                          'Dems fightin' words!!!!

Only three weeks to go!!!
                          Best posts ever:

Comment

• anything i say during the season please forget it when 08's past

Comment

New York was a former Dutch colony...that seems most likely due to that tie in.
                              I know. You know what we trade it for with the English? Surinam. Imagine that the Dutch would have kept New York, the first language probably would have been Dutch then. . Would have been a lot easier for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by JerseySoxFan19 View Post
                                anything i say during the season please forget it when 08's past
                                What? Did anybody hear him say something?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X