This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by keystone View Post
    Wow -- now, *that's* saying something! Especially since somebody got killed in a Yanks/Sox discussion last night!

I have been to Busch Stadium before, but the Cards were playing the Giants, not the Cubs (Opening Day, 1993). People were really nice and fun to talk to. Willie McGee was playing for the Giants back then, and he got a standing O when he was introduced. I thought that was pretty classy.

So, stay away from the bleachers at Wrigley! Tacky, tacky...
    The year was 2002. One season after the very much ballyhooed acquisition of Oakland farmhand, Jason Giambi, the Yanks let Tino Martinez walk. Despite St Louis trying to get Giambi also, they settled upon Tino, saving face that he'd previously followed a legend at 1B, that, of course, being my namesake.

In 2002, the Cards played the Yanks on a weekend at Yankee Stadium. That's the first time I've ever seen Cards fans, since I'm not a Mets fan. There were more jerseys I've never seen before, such as Gibson, Slaughter, Brock, McGwire and so many others. The place was awash in great players' jerseys.

So as to prove he wasn't a slouch, Tino hit the same 2 jacks that Giambi did. Everyone knew they were trying to one-up the other. Either way, upon the first Tino longball, the whole stadium erupted in standing cheers, yet verbal infighting flew amongst a few Yankee fans.

We were on some trip hosted by friends on another forum, but some argued, "Hey, that's Tino Martinez out there", while others complained, "He's no longer a Yankee, and that HR has hurt the Yankees' chance to win". We just let it slide under the carpet, since it would've never ended.

In the end, it was an interesting moment in baseball when a popular star player returns.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• It was actually in 2003 when the Cardinals played the Yankees at their great ballpark. Even if the Cards got swept three games, it was still a good series to watch once. And I'm afraid Giambi is slowing down today in all departments. He can't run very well, the bat he has today is nothing like his 2006 form, and he's a liability at first base, even though he has two errors.

Not trying to start fires, but I fear he could be done.

Comment

• bitter rivals

Nice story, Mattingly. Good to hear that Cards fans behaved themselves in the House That Ruth Built. The Giambi/Tino match-up made those games special.

Solair -- It doesn't feel like you're lighting any fires, just stating what is obvious about Giambi. He's had a great run... Hey, we all slow down!
        Born to an age where horror has become commonplace, where tragedy has, by its monotonous repetition, become a parody of sorrow, we need to fence off a few parks where humans try to be fair, where skill has some hope of reward, [and] where absurdity has a harder time than usual getting a ticket." -- Thomas Boswell, 1984

Comment

• Fine, I will light fires tonight. How's Andy Pettite doing against the Rays tonight?

Comment

• Yankees can't handle those Rays, can they? Moose is losin' his antlers!!
            Born to an age where horror has become commonplace, where tragedy has, by its monotonous repetition, become a parody of sorrow, we need to fence off a few parks where humans try to be fair, where skill has some hope of reward, [and] where absurdity has a harder time than usual getting a ticket." -- Thomas Boswell, 1984

Comment

• Where the heck is li'l Ken at?

Oh yeah, I finally found that vid from efin98 he'd stashed. Seems he always wanted to experiment on his secret batting stance. I'm sure he'll hit one all the way to New Hampshire with this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21pVW_ouZYk
              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Originally posted by Solair Wright View Post
                Fine, I will light fires tonight. How's Andy Pettite doing against the Rays tonight?

Beantown lost and the Cards lost. How do you people talk smacky-poo when your own team just lost? Wouldn't it be a wise idea to be hiding out at this time?

No shame amongst the Cardinals, eh?

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/scoreboard/20080512

Comment

• Not Smack, TRUTH!

There's a team that's playing below 500, and it's not Boston or the Cards...
                  Giambi....I offer my services, or my cat's services, whichever is worst-either of us would still be better than him. I know when he's at bat, or in a play-can hear the groans from NY.
                  Question-is Giambi really THAT bad, or is Jeter not able to throw to first? People laugh at Manny, but he throws strikes to home plate...Any Yank outfielders have assists this year? Last year?
                  I got my double steal. I don't know whether I want another double steal, or a steal of home. If somebody dances off third, distract while second is stolen, and the ball goes to second, third dance can steal home. I wonder if there has ever been a triple steal?
                  Yawn...it's no fun when the rival is below 500-not sportsmanlike, sportsladylike, to hit 'em when they're down.
                  All Yfans on this forum have been mailed a special crying towel. Please don't dilute alcohol.
                  Last edited by CuriousBoston; 05-13-2008, 04:45 PM.
                  Varitek=Future Red Sox Manager
                  Boston Boxer - a Real Hero

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
                    Beantown lost and the Cards lost. How do you people talk smacky-poo when your own team just lost? Wouldn't it be a wise idea to be hiding out at this time?

No shame amongst the Cardinals, eh?

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/scoreboard/20080512
                    Hey, they lost 8-3, and your team lost 7-1. I think it is obvious which losing team did "better."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
                      Where the heck is li'l Ken at?

Oh yeah, I finally found that vid from efin98 he'd stashed. Seems he always wanted to experiment on his secret batting stance. I'm sure he'll hit one all the way to New Hampshire with this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21pVW_ouZYk
                      Ain't my video...I cut my hair for mine
                      Best posts ever:
                      Originally posted by nymdan
                      Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                      Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                      I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

• Originally posted by efin98 View Post
                        Ain't my video...I cut my hair for mine
                        Haircut? haven't had one in over 22 years
                        sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by SDL View Post
                          Haircut? haven't had one in over 22 years
                          About the only benefit of being bald!(in general, not saying you are )
                          Best posts ever:

Comment

• Originally posted by efin98 View Post
                            About the only benefit of being bald!(in general, not saying you are )
                            Trust me...I ain't bald. Let's say I make a pre-Yankee Johnny Damon look bald
                            sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by SDL View Post
                              Trust me...I ain't bald. Let's say I make a pre-Yankee Johnny Damon look bald
                              So you are the inspiration behind the Jesus/caveman/idiot look!

We finally found out what happened to big foot!

The jokes write themselves

Yakking about hair, nice way to take emphasis off of the encroaching Rays and the fact that we lost 3/4 to the Twins in tough fashion...
                              Best posts ever:

Comment

• It seems like every time I post here, it sedates the Yankee fans for a bit. Though, it doesn't sedate them for long, but it sure does the job at times. At times...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X