This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From a non-biased fan:

This back-and-forth Sox/Yankees bantering reminds me of my home town.

There are very rich people who live in west county. They ride around in flashy cars, spend like crazy, and aren't afraid to let everybody know how much money they have.

There are people who live in St.Charles county, who drive nice cars, spend like crazy, and aren't afraid to let everybody know how much money they have. Problem is..they don't have nearly as much money as the people in west county. A few breaks/nice career opportunities in recent years and they act like elite socialites.

The St. Charles people always talk bad about the west county people out of jealousy. However, no amount of talk will ever change the fact that the west county elite have the money/success they wish they had.

I would much rather be around the west county folk who actualy have the cash to back up their talk than the St. Charles people.

Any non-biased person out their with me?
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

• Originally posted by STLCards2 View Post
      From a non-biased fan:

There are very rich people who live in west county. They ride around in flashy cars, spend like crazy, and aren't afraid to let everybody know how much money they have.

There are people who live in St.Charles county, who drive nice cars, spend like crazy, and aren't afraid to let everybody know how much money they have. Problem is..they don't have nearly as much money as the people in west county. A few breaks/nice career opportunities in recent years and they act like elite socialites.

The St. Charles people always talk bad about the west county people out of jealousy. However, no amount of talk will ever change the fact that the west county elite have the money/success they wish they had.

I would much rather be around the west county folk who actualy have the cash to back up their talk than the St. Charles people.

This ain't a gated community. Bank accounts don't matter here
      sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

From a non-biased fan:

So who are the St Charles county people in the baseball fan world, and who are teh West County people in the same? As they relate to the Cards-Cubs, and the Yanks-BoSox, please.
        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
          So who are the St Charles county people in the baseball fan world, and who are teh West County people in the same? As they relate to the Cards-Cubs, and the Yanks-BoSox, please.
          Matt...

When you went to high school, did you ever have one of those rich kids in any of your classes who would talk (down) to you (often without prompting) and yet you had no idea what the hell they were talking about?

I have a feeling we now have one of them here...

Comment

• Originally posted by SDL View Post
            Matt...

When you went to high school, did you ever have one of those rich kids in any of your classes who would talk (down) to you (often without prompting) and yet you had no idea what the hell they were talking about?

I have a feeling we now have one of them here...
            Yes, there was a rich family near me. The area they lived in wasn't really wealthy (just outside of my area in Flatbush, Brooklyn, near Kings County Hospital). They were into real estate and the mother was a licensed broker. I bumped into the son (actually he drove up to me) and he was driving a Beemer (BMW). He was nice, but I still couldn't stand him.

So am I that person talking down (hopefully not), or just those other people? I'm trying to get to the baseball relationship side of what Solair was referring to.

BTW, are you folks rooting for the TB Rays (by way of St Petersburg) or the Philly Phanatics?

Never mind, I just read your sig. So who's the "Bucky 'F' Dent" guy from Tampa Bay to you guys and gals?
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

Yes, there was a rich family near me. The area they lived in wasn't really wealthy (just outside of my area in Flatbush, Brooklyn, near Kings County Hospital). They were into real estate and the mother was a licensed broker. I bumped into the son (actually he drove up to me) and he was driving a Beemer (BMW). He was nice, but I still couldn't stand him.

So am I that person talking down (hopefully not), or just those other people? I'm trying to get to the baseball relationship side of what Solair was referring to.

BTW, are you folks rooting for the TB Rays (by way of St Petersburg) or the Philly Phanatics?

Never mind, I just read your sig. So who's the "Bucky 'F' Dent" guy from Tampa Bay to you guys and gals?
              No Matt, it isn't you

Comment

• Originally posted by SDL View Post
                No Matt, it isn't you
                At least not at this current time
                Best posts ever:
                Originally posted by nymdan
                Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Very simple: Yankees are the west county people: arrogant, spoiled, and have all the hardware (cash) to back up their smugness. You don't like them, but at least they aren't phony. The Red Sox are the St.Charles people - typicaly far inferior to the west county people (Yankees), but they are arrogant and smug anyway. A few recent instances of similar Yankee-like success makes them almost unberrable.

You could make a similar argument for Cardinal/Cub too.

Seriously, nobody sees the irony in Rede Sox fans constantly trying to act like/prove their franchise is superior to the one that has won almost 1/4 of all WS titles?

I am sure you understood the analogy, however.

Also, SDL - are you referring to me as the "one of them here." First, I am not rich (at all), I have not "come down" on anybody once (much less "often) - just giving my personal observations on what I see as a sociological parallel between these Yankee vs. Sox debates and something I see in my community. Finally, I very well know exactly what I am talking about. You may disagree with my analogy, but the analogy is well reseasoned and symbolizes a real truth - the Yankees have had far, far more sucess than the Red Sox. I'm not tryingto anger anybody - just saying an observation.
                  Last edited by Bothrops Atrox; 10-24-2008, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Very simple: Yankees are the west county people: arrogant, spoiled, and have all the hardware (cash) to back up their smugness. You don't like them, but at least they aren't phony. The Red Sox are the St.Charles people - typicaly far inferior to the west county people (Yankees), but they are arrogant and smug anyway. A few recent instances of similar Yankee-like success makes them almost unberrable.
                    All depends. If you're talking about people who actually love the players and the game, discuss the game wisely and know fans of other teams, I'd disagree. If referring to fans who act like it's so easy to beat other teams, act like the best free agents are theirs for the taking and expect opposing GMs to trade their best players for undesirable players like Igawa, Giambi, Matsui and Damon, then I'd agree. Every winning team has fans who are spoiled rotten.
                    You could make a similar argument for Cardinal/Cub too.
                    So who are the "haves" and the "have-nots" amongst the Cards and Cubbies?
                    Seriously, nobody sees the irony in Rede Sox fans constantly trying to act like/prove their franchise is superior to the one that has won almost 1/4 of all WS titles?
                    I don't know if the RS team is superior or not to the Yankee team. I just know that they've drafted quite well, if you look at people like Pedroia, Ellsbury, Papelbon , Youkilis (one "not one of my faves player"), and a few others.
                    I am sure you understood the analogy, however.
                    Not really. I've never considered myself as one of the "haves". I love the Yankee history like any other Yankee fan, but each year, the team must put up its skills an win those games. If not, the country club awaits you in October!

Comment

All depends. If you're talking about people who actually love the players and the game, discuss the game wisely and know fans of other teams, I'd disagree. If referring to fans who act like it's so easy to beat other teams, act like the best free agents are theirs for the taking and expect opposing GMs to trade their best players for undesirable players like Igawa, Giambi, Matsui and Damon, then I'd agree. Every winning team has fans who are spoiled rotten.
                      Yeah. I am certainly not refering to the great fans around here- this site is known for its intelligent and courteous fans. I was focusing more on the perception of Yankees and Red Sox-ism more than fans. I wasn't trying to stir things up - just thinking aloud. Maybe the post ws ill-advised as an outsider. I guess you have to be a Yankees or Sox fan to get taken seriously when talking about the other side.

You are right about every franchise having spoiled fans. Cardinal fans have a hard time putting some things into perspective as well.

Comment

Yeah. I am certainly not refering to the great fans around here- this site is known for its intelligent and courteous fans. I was focusing more on the perception of Yankees and Red Sox-ism more than fans. I wasn't trying to stir things up - just thinking aloud. Maybe the post ws ill-advised as an outsider. I guess you have to be a Yankees or Sox fan to get taken seriously when talking about the other side.

You are right about every franchise having spoiled fans. Cardinal fans have a hard time putting some things into perspective as well.
                        Thats the truth, some get all over "some" Yankee fans. Yes some are obnoxious, probably from all the success over the years, not to excuse them but any other city would do the same, it just happened to be NY.

Not much difference in fans in all the city, some good, some jerks.

Comment

Sometimes people get the wrong impression about Yankee fans. If you watch the games, you'll see what appears to be 55,000 Yankee fans, yet there's no such thing as a home game where no visiting fans are present. Never ever.

There are countless Yankee fans who saw Mick in his heyday, but the prices and where they live have kept them away. They're still Yankee fans, but never to be seen on TV. A few have seen DiMaggio play, and a few I know of on another board saw Yogi's rook season (1947, but he played in 1946).

I never get caught up in the thing about what is a "real Yankee" or a "real Yankee fan". So long as you respect the game, respect other fans and act like a good person, I don't worry too much. Now of course, if they root for the Red Sox ... , I may make an exception or two.

Comment

• Get bullied around by the "superior" team's "fans" for decades and see if you don't rub in your recent success in the face of the jerks...I'll bet good money that you would do it.
                            Best posts ever:

Comment

• Originally posted by efin98 View Post
                              Get bullied around by the "superior" team's "fans" for decades and see if you don't rub in your recent success in the face of the jerks...I'll bet good money that you would do it.
                              Yeah, I probably would. Remember, I was making a sociologicial observation, not making a moral judgement. I can definitely see why Red Sox fans dislike the Yankees so much.

Comment

Yeah, I probably would. Remember, I was making a sociologicial observation, not making a moral judgement. I can definitely see why Red Sox fans dislike the Yankees so much.
                                True. Think of it as a David vs. Goliath situation(somewhat fits the story, if taken literally not religiously).
                                Best posts ever:

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X