Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Bitter Rivals Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by efin98 View Post
    I didn't know they played a three game LCS
    That's OK, young fella. If my ideal wish comes true, it'll take 3 more games:

    Two for the Rays to bedevil Beantown and celebrate on Fenway's lawn, and one more for Torre to be unable to spit in anyone's face but his own.

    With the Yankees missing the playoffs, I will do like a 1919-2003 Beantowner, and I will root against the archrival. I will take a Rays-Phanatics WS once a day, every day, twice on Sundays. All I want is for Beantown to get back on the losing track, and let it end in Game 5 at Fenway.

    If that happens and the Philly Phanatics silence Torre and the LA-LA Dodgers, I'll be one very happy camper. Not one team will be able to talk smack to Yankee fans, and we have tons of Yankee fans in St Petersberg & Tampa Bay.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

    Comment


    • Originally posted by efin98 View Post
      I didn't know they played a three game LCS
      That's OK, young fella. If my ideal wish comes true, it'll take 3 more games:

      Two for the Rays to bedevil Beantown and celebrate on Fenway's lawn, and one more for Torre to be unable to spit in anyone's face but his own.

      With the Yankees missing the playoffs, I will do like a 1919-2003 Beantowner, and I will root against the archrival. I will take a Rays-Phanatics WS once a day, every day, twice on Sundays. All I want is for Beantown to get back on the losing track, and let it end in Game 5 at Fenway.

      If that happens and the Philly Phanatics silence Torre and the LA-LA Dodgers, I'll be one very happy camper. Not one team will be able to talk smack to Yankee fans, and we have tons of Yankee fans in St Petersberg & Tampa Bay.
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
        That's OK, young fella. If my ideal wish comes true, it'll take 3 more games:

        Two for the Rays to bedevil Beantown and celebrate on Fenway's lawn, and one more for Torre to be unable to spit in anyone's face but his own.

        With the Yankees missing the playoffs, I will do like a 1919-2003 Beantowner, and I will root against the archrival. I will take a Rays-Phanatics WS once a day, every day, twice on Sundays. All I want is for Beantown to get back on the losing track, and let it end in Game 5 at Fenway.

        If that happens and the Philly Phanatics silence Torre and the LA-LA Dodgers, I'll be one very happy camper. Not one team will be able to talk smack to Yankee fans, and we have tons of Yankee fans in St Petersberg & Tampa Bay.
        Awww gee, Matt. Are you mad at Torre because he's in the playoffs and Joey Pitbull ain't?
        sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
          That's OK, young fella. If my ideal wish comes true, it'll take 3 more games:
          It ain't over until it's over...you should know that better than anyone.

          Where's a fly swatter when you need one?
          Best posts ever:
          Originally posted by nymdan
          Too... much... math... head... hurts...
          Originally posted by RuthMayBond
          I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

          Comment


          • Originally posted by SDL View Post
            Awww gee, Matt. Are you mad at Torre because he's in the playoffs and Joey Pitbull ain't?
            Yeah, well I never thought that Girardi would get us into the playoffs anyway. It took him awhile to adjust, and he had a much larger payroll team to deal with than before. At least he never had any ugly moments with Cashman or the young Steins, unlike his Loria days with Florida.

            This Beantown moment is brought to you by the military bugle players stationed around the world.



            Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. After last night's game, Beantown is surely a bust!

            No a single Beantowner had 2 hits all night, but 4 Rays had 2 hits and Aybar had 5 hits. OK, enough smackey-poo for one night. I'll have to hope that tomorrow is just as enjoyable (if possible).

            *hopes that they don't write me up for posting this*
            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
            THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
            Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

            Comment


            • Originally posted by efin98 View Post
              It ain't over until it's over...you should know that better than anyone.

              Where's a fly swatter when you need one?
              Yeah, I know it's not over. After those ugly "last four games" from you-know-when, I know that all too well. However, I'm willing to go out on a limb (and hope that it doesn't fall off the tree) and say that Wednesday & Thursday will be very good days for me.
              Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
              THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
              Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

              Comment


              • It ain't over until the fat lady sings...and I have not heard my ex since '84; I doubt I'll be hearing her voice anytime soon.

                Matt...what happened in the ALCS four years ago? Who was down 3-0? Hmmmm?
                sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
                  Yeah, I know it's not over. After those ugly "last four games" from you-know-when, I know that all too well. However, I'm willing to go out on a limb (and hope that it doesn't fall off the tree) and say that Wednesday & Thursday will be very good days for me.
                  That's a long, skinny limb considering LAST YEAR TOO...oh wait, I forgot that you have blocked out anything that isn't related to the bums in the Bronx
                  Best posts ever:
                  Originally posted by nymdan
                  Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                  Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                  I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
                    Yeah, well I never thought that Girardi would get us into the playoffs anyway. It took him awhile to adjust, and he had a much larger payroll team to deal with than before. At least he never had any ugly moments with Cashman or the young Steins, unlike his Loria days with Florida.
                    Sure you didn't think that
                    Best posts ever:
                    Originally posted by nymdan
                    Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                    Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                    I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by SDL View Post
                      It ain't over until the fat lady sings...and I have not heard my ex since '84; I doubt I'll be hearing her voice anytime soon.

                      Matt...what happened in the ALCS four years ago? Who was down 3-0? Hmmmm?
                      Or last year...everyone seems to forget last year.

                      And the fat lady hasn't sung yet...my sister and cousin have been taking vocal lessons though(women are a combined 600 pounds!) h
                      Best posts ever:
                      Originally posted by nymdan
                      Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                      Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                      I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by SDL View Post
                        It ain't over until the fat lady sings...and I have not heard my ex since '84; I doubt I'll be hearing her voice anytime soon.

                        Matt...what happened in the ALCS four years ago? Who was down 3-0? Hmmmm?
                        In Game 3, despite it being a blowout, nobody was rested. Game 4 was the elimination game, so adding extra emphasis to this by keeping starters in seemed meaningless to me. The bench should practically have been empty for the end of Game 3, but Torre never did this.

                        Neither Mel Stottlemyre (pitch coach) nor Joe Torre called for a pitch out in Game 4. No IBB either, and when you're desperate for a win, that's what 'd do. The tying run scored. Then Tom Gordon was absolutely horrible (which Torre never seemed to realize), leading to Rivera's overuse.

                        I went over this in a thread on te Yankee forum asking us if we were rooting for Joe Torre. Let's just say that I'm not a Joe Torre fan.

                        I was told that in the last game vs the Phillies, with a 2-run lead, 2 ducks on the pond and only 1 out, Torre let a reliever hit for himself. Would a self-respecting NL manager not do a double-switch at that time? I don't care if it's just a pinch hitter, it's that same bullpen mismanagement I saw as a Yankee fan and one I knew we'd keep on seeing unless he was gone. Torre has managed the Braves, Mets and Cards, so he's well familiar with NL managing.

                        All managers have faults, but Torre's lack of in-game decision-making skills seem very predictable. He'll always give great soundbites in his very interesting voice, but one that too often comes up short in big games like this.

                        That last game was an absolute must-win that could've tied the series, and he was leading the game in the 7th, and that same reliever, he took out in the 8th, putting in a guy who'd thrown 30+ pitches the day before. To me, that's the Joe Torre that I didn't want back. Instead of a 2-2 series, he now has to win three elimination games.

                        Yes, the Yanks failed in 2004, but think that Game 4 was very winnable.
                        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by efin98 View Post
                          That's a long, skinny limb considering LAST YEAR TOO...oh wait, I forgot that you have blocked out anything that isn't related to the bums in the Bronx
                          Learn ya baseball. Dem Bums played in Brooklyn, since they couldn't win until 1955, but were always beloved.

                          Yes, it's a limb, and when Cleveland got that 3rd win, I kept wishing we'd have played them in an LCS, like we did in 1998. The 5-game series hurt us, since hving a 7-game LDS would've allowed us to come back against them. You folks had that 7-game advantage in the LCS that we didn't.

                          Boston only had to win 2 more games when Cleveland won its 3rd game, didn't they? Right now, your saving grace is that poker-faced Matsuzaka is pitching. However, Tampa Bay has lots of momentum on its side and has unexpectedly slammed Lester. I have no idea who Boston has for Games 6 & 7, if it goes that far, but they cannot possibly trot out Wakefield again (if even anytime next season).

                          I'll just hope for both series to end tonight and tomorrow, and that there be a big celebration on the home team's infield by the visiting players. I'll just hope that the limb I'm balancing on is a lower branch on a solid & steady oak tree.
                          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by efin98 View Post
                            Sure you didn't think that
                            I hoped they would, and at times, I believed they would, but too many games were lost to impatient batting. That and our rotation was never that good the past few years, other than Wang and Moose. Didn't exactly seem like a formula for success, especially when some of the younger guys like Cabrera and Cano weren't very disciplined at the plate.

                            I'll label 2008 as a lost season, especially since there are many contracts coming off the books, such as Giambi, Damon, and Matsui's contract is finished next season. I doubt we'll see Pettitte again.

                            At least 2009 is something to look forward to.
                            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                            THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                            Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
                              I hoped they would, and at times, I believed they would, but too many games were lost to impatient batting. That and our rotation was never that good the past few years, other than Wang and Moose. Didn't exactly seem like a formula for success, especially when some of the younger guys like Cabrera and Cano weren't very disciplined at the plate.

                              I'll label 2008 as a lost season, especially since there are many contracts coming off the books, such as Giambi, Damon, and Matsui's contract is finished next season. I doubt we'll see Pettitte again.

                              At least 2009 is something to look forward to.
                              Damon's a free agent?

                              No thanks, we don't want him back in Fenway. Besides, somebody else now wears #18...

                              And speaking of ex-Yankees (and I hope my fellow Sawx fans don't hate me for mentioning this), what was the name of that catcher you guys gave up to get the Big Unit from the D'backs? Navarro, right?
                              sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
                                In Game 3, despite it being a blowout, nobody was rested. Game 4 was the elimination game, so adding extra emphasis to this by keeping starters in seemed meaningless to me. The bench should practically have been empty for the end of Game 3, but Torre never did this.

                                Neither Mel Stottlemyre (pitch coach) nor Joe Torre called for a pitch out in Game 4. No IBB either, and when you're desperate for a win, that's what 'd do. The tying run scored. Then Tom Gordon was absolutely horrible (which Torre never seemed to realize), leading to Rivera's overuse.

                                I went over this in a thread on te Yankee forum asking us if we were rooting for Joe Torre. Let's just say that I'm not a Joe Torre fan.

                                I was told that in the last game vs the Phillies, with a 2-run lead, 2 ducks on the pond and only 1 out, Torre let a reliever hit for himself. Would a self-respecting NL manager not do a double-switch at that time? I don't care if it's just a pinch hitter, it's that same bullpen mismanagement I saw as a Yankee fan and one I knew we'd keep on seeing unless he was gone. Torre has managed the Braves, Mets and Cards, so he's well familiar with NL managing.

                                All managers have faults, but Torre's lack of in-game decision-making skills seem very predictable. He'll always give great soundbites in his very interesting voice, but one that too often comes up short in big games like this.

                                That last game was an absolute must-win that could've tied the series, and he was leading the game in the 7th, and that same reliever, he took out in the 8th, putting in a guy who'd thrown 30+ pitches the day before. To me, that's the Joe Torre that I didn't want back. Instead of a 2-2 series, he now has to win three elimination games.

                                Yes, the Yanks failed in 2004, but think that Game 4 was very winnable.
                                My mind, most of his years with the Yanks Joe seemed to make the right move more often then not. His last couple of years in NY, not very good, over managed at times.

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X