Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Boston....no wait, that doesn't sound right. WHEN Boston makes it to the World Series you're almost guarenteed a victory this year, aren't you?

That's too bad for my Cubbies.
    2016 World Series Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammerin Hank
      If Boston....no wait, that doesn't sound right. WHEN Boston makes it to the World Series you're almost guarenteed a victory this year, aren't you?

That's too bad for my Cubbies.
      Ken needs to remember that right now I'm cheering for the BoSox, but if we end up playing each other in the ALDS or the ALCS, I'll be chanting "DOWN WITH NOMAR"

Comment

• Cubs-Red Sox WS

If the Cubbies.....now only 2.5 games behind Houston again....can't win the WS....then I say GO BOSOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        Nothin' like fun at the ol' ballpark!

Comment

• Re: Cubs-Red Sox WS

Originally posted by baseballwise
          If the Cubbies.....now only 2.5 games behind Houston again....can't win the WS....then I say GO BOSOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          A good example of an insightful mind with a true understanding of the game...
          Last edited by KenFougere; 08-06-2003, 10:52 AM.
          Ken Fougère

Comment

• Re: Re: Cubs-Red Sox WS

The Mariners will defeat all that get in their way to greatness! (I just hope I'm right)

Comment

• Magic Number!

Thru Tuesday August 5th, 2003:

Ron Guidry!

49 to non-Yankee fans.
              WORLD CHAMPIONS!

1923 • 1927 • 1928 • 1932 • 1936 • 1937 • 1938 • 1939 • 1941 • 1943

1947 • 1949 • 1950 • 1951 • 1952 • 1953 • 1956 • 1958 • 1961 • 1962

1977 • 1978 • 1996 • 1998 • 1999 • 2000 • 2009

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Back to Boston

Originally posted by KenFougere
                We thought so too...
                then we noticed the tickets were
                ONE WAY! _

Besides, our BIG bats with an OPS of .942 at home, are just too heavy for that single engine propeller job that George got for us...
                and they, {bats} were working very hard last night anyway...

BTW,
                Thought it'd be fun to compare home statistics for 2 "random" American League teams . . .

Code:

TEAM  AVG  SLG  OBP  OPS  HIT  BB  SO  HR  R 

1Bos .326 .544 .398 .942  590 214 250  66 354

12NY .258 .422 .344 .766  436 202 302  59 230

The difference is,...well, sort of,...ah, embarrassing._{sorry}  
                Oh, it's a 1 way trip alrighty. It's to the sawdust factory, and they need some more wood. Don't worry, we'll replace them with lighter ones so the swing is easier.

The opponents will have to put a good pitcher against you guys, so that you don't have any more 7 run 3rd innings against pitchers with an almost 8 ERA. I've seen you guys helpless at the plate before, and that wasn't too long ago!

Anyway, stats, schmats, who cares? You win a game 3-2, you win one 10-9, you know what? You've still won. No outs, a GIDP can score a run. A single can score 2, but a solo HR only scores 1. Besides, what's the purpose of having or wanting good pitching if you win too many games 10-9? How about 6-2 when your 41 year old geezer goes 7, allows 1 run, gets out of a bases loaded, no outs jam without giving up any runs? That's pitching!

You guys should concentrate on starting pitching, since all offense, no ace to #4 pitcher just makes you the Rangers or Blue Jays. Suppan got killed, Weaver, our #5 did great against you guys, even beat up on Zito, despite not looking outstanding.

In the end, check the standings. As many opportunities as we've wasted, we've still managed to win, still beat two west coast teams 4-2 on the road, 5-2 counting last night's home game.
                Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Re: Cubs-Red Sox WS

Originally posted by baseballwise
                  Sure, I wouldn't mind. Especially in game 7! (Pedro won't be able to stop destiny)

*grabs my Mookie t shirt, Bucky Dent jersey, admires pictures of Babe*
                  Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• mattingly, while it's true that good pitching stops good hitting, not everyone the sox have scored 7 runs on has an ERA of 8 (at least BEFORE that inning )

They do pretty well against good pitching too, but on occasion, they'll have an off-day or go up against someone unhittable.

However, the sox are still on a record-setting offensive pace with no real signs of slowing down any time soon. The only offensive categories we weren't number 1 in were home runs (2nd) and stolen bases (middle of the pack). We're number 1 in hits, extra base hits, doubles, tripples, runs, RBI's, SLG, AVG and then some.

Our starters are middle of the pack plus, not nearly as low on the totem pole as the likes of texas.

Our bullpen, dispite the horrible beginning, has moved to the upper-middle of the pack in terms of ERA. Since the all-star break, they're even higher (I think at one point were number 1, but may have dropped a place or two).
                    "Endlessly deferred redemption provides, paradoxically enough, its own kind of reward... It tests our faith and marks us as spiritually stronger than other fans for whom entrance into heaven is a far cheaper thing."
                    -Scott Stossel

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Re: Back to Boston

Originally posted by Mattingly
                      Oh, it's a 1 way trip alrighty. It's to the sawdust factory, and they need some more wood. Don't worry, we'll replace them with lighter ones so the swing is easier.

The opponents will have to put a good pitcher against you guys, so that you don't have any more 7 run 3rd innings against pitchers with an almost 8 ERA. I've seen you guys helpless at the plate before, and that wasn't too long ago!

Anyway, stats, schmats, who cares? You win a game 3-2, you win one 10-9, you know what? You've still won. No outs, a GIDP can score a run. A single can score 2, but a solo HR only scores 1. Besides, what's the purpose of having or wanting good pitching if you win too many games 10-9? How about 6-2 when your 41 year old geezer goes 7, allows 1 run, gets out of a bases loaded, no outs jam without giving up any runs? That's pitching!
                      *Pitching? But, the subject was team home hitting!

BUT A . 2 5 8

Team Batting Average?

.......At HOME?

Really, what's goin' on this year?_
                      Code:

The difference is BIG.

Last edited by KenFougere; 08-06-2003, 04:19 PM.
                      Ken Fougère

Comment

• The Magic-Number guy is back!

Originally posted by YankeeMan
                        Thru Tuesday August 5th, 2003:
                        Ron Guidry!
                        49 to non-Yankee fans.

______Oh
                        Nooooooooooooooo!____

{There goes the neighborhood...
                        It figures - just when the property value started to recover too...}
                        Last edited by KenFougere; 08-06-2003, 05:08 PM.
                        Ken Fougère

Comment

• ok where's mosey
                          International League Fourm and Pacific Coast League Fourm Triple A Baseball

"The dumber a pitcher is, the better. When he gets smart and begins to experiment with a lot of different pitches, he's in trouble. All I ever had was a fastball, a curve and a changeup and I did pretty good."
                          Dizzy Dean.

9 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!

19261931193419421944 1946196419671982

Comment

• Originally posted by Biggerin
                            mattingly, while it's true that good pitching stops good hitting, not everyone the sox have scored 7 runs on has an ERA of 8 (at least BEFORE that inning )

They do pretty well against good pitching too, but on occasion, they'll have an off-day or go up against someone unhittable.

However, the sox are still on a record-setting offensive pace with no real signs of slowing down any time soon. The only offensive categories we weren't number 1 in were home runs (2nd) and stolen bases (middle of the pack). We're number 1 in hits, extra base hits, doubles, tripples, runs, RBI's, SLG, AVG and then some.

Our starters are middle of the pack plus, not nearly as low on the totem pole as the likes of texas.

Our bullpen, dispite the horrible beginning, has moved to the upper-middle of the pack in terms of ERA. Since the all-star break, they're even higher (I think at one point were number 1, but may have dropped a place or two).
                            Actually, I wasn't really saying that you guys were the equivalent of Texas (despite my now realizing I'd written that earlier), but that winning games by a score of 10-9 isn't what I'd call impressive. I was in my ornery/purist mode.

My thinking was that before Suppan was acquired (Fanatic had wanted Ponson badly), you'd said that he was one of the best available pitchers. Well, maybe I was being harsh on his BoSox debut, but his given up all those runs didn't really help much. I mean, what if you guys were facing Halladay?

I'll always give your offense all the credit, heck, I'm even watching your game on ESPN right now, but Suppan has to do better to give you guys more of a chance. Those numbers looked almost like what Zito or Garcia get when they're on a bad day.

Good luck with your highly potent offense, but I think that the totality of the game I was referring to (sorry if I'd seemed like almost lecturing), pitching has to be the stopper.
                            Last edited by Mattingly; 08-06-2003, 06:27 PM.

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Back to Boston

Originally posted by KenFougere
                              *Pitching? But, the subject was team home hitting!

BUT A . 2 5 8

Team Batting Average?

.......At HOME?

Really, what's goin' on this year?_
                              Code:

The difference is BIG.

True. Giambi didn't hit a lick in the beginning (bad eyesight), and Soriano's below the Mendoza line the past few weeks. Then there's the infamous LOB and GIDP stats, so basically, we're a team that's having our starting pitching bail us out.

Right now, I see Jeter still hitting around .400+ since July 1 (from what I've read), Giambi is hitting better, as have others. I still see a lack of taking advantage of scoring opportunities, so I guess that bunts, squeeze plays and sac flies are almost rocket science.

I think that in 2001, Seattle had about the best road record, and we've got one of the best now also (37-21), which along with Seattle's 34-19, seem like the best in MLB right now.

I won't make excuses, the Yanks need to improve their home BA, win more 1-run games, but like they say, you can only change the future, not the past.

Comment

• Fanatic, my apologies, I'll definitely have to respond on Thursday, as certain responses take longer, due to greater thinking, and my laziness forced me to keep pushing this back.

I'll check you out soon.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X