Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Bitter Rivals Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
    Yeah, I know it's not over. After those ugly "last four games" from you-know-when, I know that all too well. However, I'm willing to go out on a limb (and hope that it doesn't fall off the tree) and say that Wednesday & Thursday will be very good days for me.
    That's a long, skinny limb considering LAST YEAR TOO...oh wait, I forgot that you have blocked out anything that isn't related to the bums in the Bronx
    Best posts ever:
    Originally posted by nymdan
    Too... much... math... head... hurts...
    Originally posted by RuthMayBond
    I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
      Yeah, well I never thought that Girardi would get us into the playoffs anyway. It took him awhile to adjust, and he had a much larger payroll team to deal with than before. At least he never had any ugly moments with Cashman or the young Steins, unlike his Loria days with Florida.
      Sure you didn't think that
      Best posts ever:
      Originally posted by nymdan
      Too... much... math... head... hurts...
      Originally posted by RuthMayBond
      I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

      Comment


      • Originally posted by SDL View Post
        It ain't over until the fat lady sings...and I have not heard my ex since '84; I doubt I'll be hearing her voice anytime soon.

        Matt...what happened in the ALCS four years ago? Who was down 3-0? Hmmmm?
        Or last year...everyone seems to forget last year.

        And the fat lady hasn't sung yet...my sister and cousin have been taking vocal lessons though(women are a combined 600 pounds!) h
        Best posts ever:
        Originally posted by nymdan
        Too... much... math... head... hurts...
        Originally posted by RuthMayBond
        I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

        Comment


        • Originally posted by SDL View Post
          It ain't over until the fat lady sings...and I have not heard my ex since '84; I doubt I'll be hearing her voice anytime soon.

          Matt...what happened in the ALCS four years ago? Who was down 3-0? Hmmmm?
          In Game 3, despite it being a blowout, nobody was rested. Game 4 was the elimination game, so adding extra emphasis to this by keeping starters in seemed meaningless to me. The bench should practically have been empty for the end of Game 3, but Torre never did this.

          Neither Mel Stottlemyre (pitch coach) nor Joe Torre called for a pitch out in Game 4. No IBB either, and when you're desperate for a win, that's what 'd do. The tying run scored. Then Tom Gordon was absolutely horrible (which Torre never seemed to realize), leading to Rivera's overuse.

          I went over this in a thread on te Yankee forum asking us if we were rooting for Joe Torre. Let's just say that I'm not a Joe Torre fan.

          I was told that in the last game vs the Phillies, with a 2-run lead, 2 ducks on the pond and only 1 out, Torre let a reliever hit for himself. Would a self-respecting NL manager not do a double-switch at that time? I don't care if it's just a pinch hitter, it's that same bullpen mismanagement I saw as a Yankee fan and one I knew we'd keep on seeing unless he was gone. Torre has managed the Braves, Mets and Cards, so he's well familiar with NL managing.

          All managers have faults, but Torre's lack of in-game decision-making skills seem very predictable. He'll always give great soundbites in his very interesting voice, but one that too often comes up short in big games like this.

          That last game was an absolute must-win that could've tied the series, and he was leading the game in the 7th, and that same reliever, he took out in the 8th, putting in a guy who'd thrown 30+ pitches the day before. To me, that's the Joe Torre that I didn't want back. Instead of a 2-2 series, he now has to win three elimination games.

          Yes, the Yanks failed in 2004, but think that Game 4 was very winnable.
          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

          Comment


          • Originally posted by efin98 View Post
            That's a long, skinny limb considering LAST YEAR TOO...oh wait, I forgot that you have blocked out anything that isn't related to the bums in the Bronx
            Learn ya baseball. Dem Bums played in Brooklyn, since they couldn't win until 1955, but were always beloved.

            Yes, it's a limb, and when Cleveland got that 3rd win, I kept wishing we'd have played them in an LCS, like we did in 1998. The 5-game series hurt us, since hving a 7-game LDS would've allowed us to come back against them. You folks had that 7-game advantage in the LCS that we didn't.

            Boston only had to win 2 more games when Cleveland won its 3rd game, didn't they? Right now, your saving grace is that poker-faced Matsuzaka is pitching. However, Tampa Bay has lots of momentum on its side and has unexpectedly slammed Lester. I have no idea who Boston has for Games 6 & 7, if it goes that far, but they cannot possibly trot out Wakefield again (if even anytime next season).

            I'll just hope for both series to end tonight and tomorrow, and that there be a big celebration on the home team's infield by the visiting players. I'll just hope that the limb I'm balancing on is a lower branch on a solid & steady oak tree.
            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
            THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
            Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

            Comment


            • Originally posted by efin98 View Post
              Sure you didn't think that
              I hoped they would, and at times, I believed they would, but too many games were lost to impatient batting. That and our rotation was never that good the past few years, other than Wang and Moose. Didn't exactly seem like a formula for success, especially when some of the younger guys like Cabrera and Cano weren't very disciplined at the plate.

              I'll label 2008 as a lost season, especially since there are many contracts coming off the books, such as Giambi, Damon, and Matsui's contract is finished next season. I doubt we'll see Pettitte again.

              At least 2009 is something to look forward to.
              Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
              THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
              Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
                I hoped they would, and at times, I believed they would, but too many games were lost to impatient batting. That and our rotation was never that good the past few years, other than Wang and Moose. Didn't exactly seem like a formula for success, especially when some of the younger guys like Cabrera and Cano weren't very disciplined at the plate.

                I'll label 2008 as a lost season, especially since there are many contracts coming off the books, such as Giambi, Damon, and Matsui's contract is finished next season. I doubt we'll see Pettitte again.

                At least 2009 is something to look forward to.
                Damon's a free agent?

                No thanks, we don't want him back in Fenway. Besides, somebody else now wears #18...

                And speaking of ex-Yankees (and I hope my fellow Sawx fans don't hate me for mentioning this), what was the name of that catcher you guys gave up to get the Big Unit from the D'backs? Navarro, right?
                sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
                  In Game 3, despite it being a blowout, nobody was rested. Game 4 was the elimination game, so adding extra emphasis to this by keeping starters in seemed meaningless to me. The bench should practically have been empty for the end of Game 3, but Torre never did this.

                  Neither Mel Stottlemyre (pitch coach) nor Joe Torre called for a pitch out in Game 4. No IBB either, and when you're desperate for a win, that's what 'd do. The tying run scored. Then Tom Gordon was absolutely horrible (which Torre never seemed to realize), leading to Rivera's overuse.

                  I went over this in a thread on te Yankee forum asking us if we were rooting for Joe Torre. Let's just say that I'm not a Joe Torre fan.

                  I was told that in the last game vs the Phillies, with a 2-run lead, 2 ducks on the pond and only 1 out, Torre let a reliever hit for himself. Would a self-respecting NL manager not do a double-switch at that time? I don't care if it's just a pinch hitter, it's that same bullpen mismanagement I saw as a Yankee fan and one I knew we'd keep on seeing unless he was gone. Torre has managed the Braves, Mets and Cards, so he's well familiar with NL managing.

                  All managers have faults, but Torre's lack of in-game decision-making skills seem very predictable. He'll always give great soundbites in his very interesting voice, but one that too often comes up short in big games like this.

                  That last game was an absolute must-win that could've tied the series, and he was leading the game in the 7th, and that same reliever, he took out in the 8th, putting in a guy who'd thrown 30+ pitches the day before. To me, that's the Joe Torre that I didn't want back. Instead of a 2-2 series, he now has to win three elimination games.

                  Yes, the Yanks failed in 2004, but think that Game 4 was very winnable.
                  My mind, most of his years with the Yanks Joe seemed to make the right move more often then not. His last couple of years in NY, not very good, over managed at times.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by SDL View Post
                    Damon's a free agent?

                    No thanks, we don't want him back in Fenway. Besides, somebody else now wears #18...

                    And speaking of ex-Yankees (and I hope my fellow Sawx fans don't hate me for mentioning this), what was the name of that catcher you guys gave up to get the Big Unit from the D'backs? Navarro, right?
                    To my knowldge, Damon's a free agent. He joined in 2005 or 2006? I think it was Unit who joined in 2005, and the Yanks gave Damon a 4 year deal, which was less than his requested z years.

                    I'm unsure of Damon's history with Daon's #18, whether he wore this in KC or not (KC Ghost may know), but Matsuzaka's #18 came from some legendary Japanese pitcher, so it was his honor and pride to wear this. Even if Damon had remained in Boston, he'd have had to give up that number anyway.

                    Yes, Dioneer Navarro was the catcher the Yanks traded to get Unit, along with Javier Vazquez. Go to baseball-reference.com and click on "Transactions" under the player profiles for full info.

                    I think that Navarro could've been better used to get Beckett when he was available. That seemed like a great odea at the time. However, ex-Yankee Mike Lowell, who was traded away once the Yanks realized that Scott Brosius was more than just a seat warmer, was thrown into the Beckett deal as a forced duo. Now they're both hurt. Another one of my bright ideas down the drain.

                    Now let's see if Navarro is still on the Yankee payroll.
                    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
                      Learn ya baseball. Dem Bums played in Brooklyn, since they couldn't win until 1955, but were always beloved.
                      Don't tell me to learn anything.

                      Dem Bums is not the bums...
                      Best posts ever:
                      Originally posted by nymdan
                      Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                      Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                      I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by efin98 View Post
                        Don't tell me to learn anything.

                        Dem Bums is not the bums...
                        Hey, pal, I was just kidding with you.

                        Which Bums are you talking about? The Yanks are the Bronx Bombers and the Brooklyn Dodgers are Dem Bums. To my knowledge, that nickname stayed in Brooklyn, wasn't transferred to Los Angeles.

                        Well, with Joe Torre finally out due to his mismanagement, I won't have to worry about hearing his voice any more, unless he gets hired by TBS for the WS.

                        Now let's see if Matsuzaka can roll the Dice on Thursday.
                        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
                          Hey, pal, I was just kidding with you.
                          I'm not the kind of person who likes being told point blank something like that without some kind of indication that it's a joke..I'm not hardwired for comedy and sarcasm as others are :blush: h

                          Which Bums are you talking about? The Yanks are the Bronx Bombers and the Brooklyn Dodgers are Dem Bums. To my knowledge, that nickname stayed in Brooklyn, wasn't transferred to Los Angeles.
                          The Dodgers may have been Dem Bums but the Yankees have earned the title this year with the way they played...a bum is a bum no matter where he is.

                          Well, with Joe Torre finally out due to his mismanagement, I won't have to worry about hearing his voice any more, unless he gets hired by TBS for the WS.
                          World Series is on Fox, not TBS
                          Best posts ever:
                          Originally posted by nymdan
                          Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                          Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                          I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by efin98 View Post
                            I'm not the kind of person who likes being told point blank something like that without some kind of indication that it's a joke..I'm not hardwired for comedy and sarcasm as others are :blush: h
                            OK, we'll need to fix someone's sarcasm meter. Sheesh, like the days aren't bad enough without somone not understanding a joke.

                            I shall use a parade of smilies the next time I commandeth thee to learneth thine gameth of baseball.

                            The Dodgers may have been Dem Bums but the Yankees have earned the title this year with the way they played...a bum is a bum no matter where he is.
                            That''s OK. not everyone hits greased lightning like Torre did in 1996. If the Yanks can do much better than this year, we should be fine.

                            I think that if Girardi doesn't coddle the players and lets them know they're there to win and to stop chasing junk pitches, and stresses the game's fundamentals, such as advancing runners, being patient, and if Cashman gets us a solid rotation, we should be fine.

                            World Series is on Fox, not TBS
                            I should've guessed. TBS kept advertising having the playoffs, I'm not surprised. I hope that a cable channel never broadcasts the WS. Regular folks need to watch this.
                            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                            THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                            Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
                              OK, we'll need to fix someone's sarcasm meter. Sheesh, like the days aren't bad enough without somone not understanding a joke.

                              I shall use a parade of smilies the next time I commandeth thee to learneth thine gameth of baseball.
                              Much obliged my bitterest of rivals

                              That''s OK. not everyone hits greased lightning like Torre did in 1996. If the Yanks can do much better than this year, we should be fine.

                              I think that if Girardi doesn't coddle the players and lets them know they're there to win and to stop chasing junk pitches, and stresses the game's fundamentals, such as advancing runners, being patient, and if
                              So let Joey release the pitbulls on the team?

                              Please do!

                              That will be the funnest time in New York since Billy Martin managed...except without the actual skills and Hall of Fame abilities that Billy had

                              Cashman gets us a solid rotation, we should be fine.
                              He will do that, but at a price to the farm system again...although it is nice seeing your top prospects doing great on other teams when they were severely needed in New York

                              I should've guessed. TBS kept advertising having the playoffs, I'm not surprised. I hope that a cable channel never broadcasts the WS. Regular folks need to watch this.
                              Thankfully for us in in Boston we have a nice agreement with the big networks- they highjack the feeds for a small price and broadcast on the local broadcast channels so those few without cable or satellites can watch
                              Best posts ever:
                              Originally posted by nymdan
                              Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                              Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                              I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

                              Comment


                              • Efin...

                                You HAVE to have cable to watch that OveRAYted team down here...FSN Florida carries most of the games, and the local ION station carries some...but their over-the-air signal is weaker than a 60 watt lightbulb.

                                Yeah..Mike Lowell has had a pretty good career with the Marlins & The Sox...and that Rays catcher...I hate him...now who did he originally sign with
                                sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X