Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Before he came to the Bronx, he was a run-of-the-mill manager.
    http://lh5.ggpht.com/_Q_Zerpnj63I/Sa...flbot-qUQb.jpg

Comment

• I think the most annoying rivalry is the yankees- red sox. I hate how everytime they play its all over espn but every other rivary doesnt make it on there unless there not playing.

Personaly my favorite rivals are the same state or city rivalrys...
      Yankees- Mets
      Royals - Cardinals
      Cubs- White Sox

Comment

• I always thought the Dodger-Giant rivalry would survive, but it seems to have waned. I must be proof of that: I root for the Dodgers and married a Giants fan! Several people must be turning over in their graves.

As to other rivalries, I'm convinced that if the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry didn't exist, ESPN would have invented it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael Green View Post
          I always thought the Dodger-Giant rivalry would survive, but it seems to have waned. I must be proof of that: I root for the Dodgers and married a Giants fan! Several people must be turning over in their graves.

As to other rivalries, I'm convinced that if the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry didn't exist, ESPN would have invented it.
          It survives, I detest you and all your kind. :grouchy :grouchy

Feel better now?

And oh yeah, you're wife'll learn to hate ya too, just you wait until you're old and feeble. Then she'll dress you up in Giant's P.J.s. Revenge is a dish best served cold

One of my fondest baseball memories involves our rivalry. It took place back at the old Candlestick, probably about 7 years before the Giant's left it when about the only games they'd sell out were weekend Dodger series'.

Well, it was a beautiful weekend day game, sold out crowd against the hated Dodgers. It wasn't too long before game time and people were getting a bit restless, when all by himself, out of the deep rightfield along the baseline wall saunters out Tony Lasorda.

He walked out onto the outfield grass so as to make sure everyone could see him and as the boos grew in loudness, his waves to the stands became more animated, with a big ole grin splitting his face.

I'd never known boos could sound almost like laughter before that day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael Green View Post
            Both towns are about 3 hours apart. It isn't just Sox/Yankees. It's also Celtics/Knicks; Patriots/Jets-Giants (Giant games are routinely televised in the Boston area) and Bruins/Rangers.

Boston University isn't called "Long Island University--Boston Campus" for nothing.

It's WAAAAAY beyond sports.

I admit, I married a LI girl...she's a Met fan...we met 3 years AFTER the '86 Series. Had she been a Yankee fan, I wouldn't have given her the time of day.
            sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by SDL View Post
              Both towns are about 3 hours apart. It isn't just Sox/Yankees. It's also Celtics/Knicks; Patriots/Jets-Giants (Giant games are routinely televised in the Boston area) and Bruins/Rangers.

Boston University isn't called "Long Island University--Boston Campus" for nothing.

It's WAAAAAY beyond sports.

I admit, I married a LI girl...she's a Met fan...we met 3 years AFTER the '86 Series. Had she been a Yankee fan, I wouldn't have given her the time of day.
              It serves you right if one day in a nursing home you glance at yourself in the mirror after she dresses you and....you are wearing a Mets uniform!!!!!

Better start practicing - "Let's Go Mets!"
              "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
              "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyK View Post
                It serves you right if one day in a nursing home you glance at yourself in the mirror after she dresses you and....you are wearing a Mets uniform!!!!!

Better start practicing - "Let's Go Mets!"
                No, I'll be calling my lawyer to get info on a divorce

Comment

No, I'll be calling my lawyer to get info on a divorce
                  My two kids are both Yankee fans since I live in NY State. My wife is not a sports fan. So I'll be drinking beer out of a big Yankees mug when they put me in the Happy Farm.

Comment

• Yanks - Red Sox BUT...

This was a bitter rivalry in the 1940s and of course again since the 1970s. However, when I became a Yankee fan in the 1950s, the rivalry of rivalries was with the Dodgers. That was a short-term one, of course, beginning in about 1947 (I don't count 1941--for who knows what reason?) and continuing until the Dodger sweep in 1963. The intensity of feeling in those great WS of the 1950s was something else. Those were pretty evenly matched teams, and a series like 1952 or 55 or 56 could have gone either way.

But since the resurrection of the Yankees in the 1970s, yep, it's the rivalry with Boston.

Comment

• I have a feeling some more Yankees and Red Sox players will be named as testing positive for steroids in the past. Now that the vultures are circling over A-Rod the chase is on by the hungry media.

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyK View Post
                        I have a feeling some more Yankees and Red Sox players will be named as testing positive for steroids in the past. Now that the vultures are circling over A-Rod the chase is on by the hungry media.
                        I say that they should've either named none of them, or name all of them. This bit of selective naming doesn't seem quite Kosher to me.

To the BoSox fans, they play BC every single spring, right?
                        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
                          I say that they should've either named none of them, or name all of them. This bit of selective naming doesn't seem quite Kosher to me.

Yes..and they also play Northeastern U as well
                          Last edited by SDL; 02-26-2009, 08:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly View Post

BC has been playing the Red Sox every year since 1993, the Red Sox have been playing Boston area college teams off and on since 1912(first game at Fenway was against Harvard).

U. of Michigan plays the Mets, Florida Southern plays Detroit, Manatee Community College plays the Pirates in other college vs. MLB matchups.
                            Best posts ever:
                            Originally posted by nymdan
                            Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                            Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                            I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Yes..and they also play Northeastern U as well
                              That's only within the last few years, the BC game is over a decade older.
                              Best posts ever:
                              Originally posted by nymdan
                              Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                              Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                              I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

• Originally posted by KenFougere View Post

Which teams do you feel have the strongest 'most bitter' rivalry in Major League Baseball? Also, what makes your favorite rivalry so special?
                                What's needed to make a rivalry stand out from all the others?

My View:

THE rivalry began almost 100 years ago. Ever since, it has taken on a life of its own! It starts at the front office exec's to the players, right down to all the Boston & New York baseball fans (past to present). Unlike other rivalries, these two teams have never re-located, to, or from another city since their inception into the league. They have the same basic team uniforms that date back to before the Titanic sunk! I feel no other rivalry can match this historic Boston Red Sox - NY Yankee rivalry!

Let the games begin!
                                (Added in Nov/2004)
                                Since the Red Sox made history, as the first team to win a playoff series after being down 0-3 to the Yankees, :choke:, (which enabled them to win their first World Series in 86 years by sweeping the Cardinals), how can anyone doubt that this rivalry is the best in American pro sports . . .

:atthepc - I started "The Bitter Rivals Thread" on Feb. 2, 2002 -
                                I think your right. No rivals can match the Sox-Yankees hate for each other

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X