This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SDL View Post
    So, Matt....How's the post-season been for you guys starting in 2001...?
    Does it really matter. The only team that has bragging rights is the team that took the World Series last year, it was not the Bosox and not the Yanks.

OH, so since the Bosox won two WS in recent years and the Yanks have not since 2000............ what about it, it's all in the past, you don't get extra points because your WS wins were more recent.

Like when Yankee fans talk about past WS wins, they are told, thats in the past.

Well now both the Bosox and Yankee WS wins are in the past.

I can tell you this much if it is the past you want to discuss, 86 year dry spell compared to all those flags flying in New York, Yankee fans have had more fun, loads more.

Comment

• Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
      The Giants announced first.

Huhn, have I had it backwards all this time?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Fra..._to_California

Not quite, Dodger's O'Malley got the Giant's to go along with them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_...to_Los_Angeles

But yeah, to Mattingly, they went as twins.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
        Does it really matter. The only team that has bragging rights is the team that took the World Series last year, it was not the Bosox and not the Yanks.

OH, so since the Bosox won two WS in recent years and the Yanks have not since 2000............ what about it, it's all in the past, you don't get extra points because your WS wins were more recent.

Like when Yankee fans talk about past WS wins, they are told, thats in the past.

Well now both the Bosox and Yankee WS wins are in the past.

I can tell you this much if it is the past you want to discuss, 86 year dry spell compared to all those flags flying in New York, Yankee fans have had more fun, loads more.
        Exactly. Boston fans love to selectively edit out or forget all the times when their guys lost bad. 1946, 1967, 1975, 1978, 1986, 2003. Like their heart was ripped out of their soul again and again and again.

The Yanks had an 18-year dry spell from 1978-96, and we got swept in 1976 before winning in 1977-78, and before that, it was 15 years (1961-62), so this isn't that bad. I have no idea how they think we'd somehow forgotten about this. It's like comparing a well-oiled machine vs one whose wheels are falling off as it continues trudging along.

All I can tell you is that I've seen more Yankee WS championship teams in my lifetime than any living Red Sox fan (unless they're at least 100), with the first involving Reggie Jackson, the late and always beloved Thurman Munson, and the other Bronx Zoo characters.

Back to the current state of affairs:

Who's doing better wearing #18? Johnny Damon or $111m Dice-K (Dice-Who)? Just wondering.

Did Brian Cashman do better with CC and AJ, or did Theo do better in his Ca$h for Clunkers deal with Penny and Smoltz? Let me think about that a little.

Is Lowell still the bargain version of A-Rod, or does he even play much these days? How's Ortiz hitting these days?

^^ The Great Pumpkin will save all of Beantown ... from jumping into the Charles River.

Last edited by Mattingly; 08-10-2009, 01:31 AM.
        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by CandlestickBum View Post
          Huhn, have I had it backwards all this time?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Fra..._to_California

Not quite, Dodger's O'Malley got the Giant's to go along with them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_...to_Los_Angeles

But yeah, to Mattingly, they went as twins.
          The Giants announced in August, 1957. The Didgers announced in October, 1957.

Comment

• Well, Red Sox fans keep saying that the only year which counts is this year, soooooo ...

Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

Cool! The Giant's are the first MLB team to the Pacific Coast. Heh. This goes against accepted history why?

Got a cite we can reference?

Comment

• Originally posted by CandlestickBum View Post
                Cool! The Giant's are the first MLB team to the Pacific Coast. Heh. This goes against accepted history why?

Got a cite we can reference?
                The Sporting News
                The Dodgers Move West by Sullivan
                Koppetts Concise History
                and many more

Probably any major newspaper of the day.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification on that.

But which played their first game on the west coast first?

Comment

Team history does certainly matter, and I am sure that the White Sox would trade in their 2005 trophy for the 26 that the Yankees have gotten since the W. Sox first one. And I am sure that the Marlins would trade in their history for the 26 Championships the Yakees despite the 2003 trophy. Same for the Diamonbacks in 2001. Yankees fans hae every right to be proud of their history - which shows something much more important that a single season trophy (which has a lot of luck involved) - franchise domination. give me the latter, thank you very much.

I am not a big Yankee or Red Sox fan, but if I had a chose, I'd rather see the real Yankees on top, than the team that acts like they are the Yankees.
                    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

• Originally posted by STLCards2 View Post
                      Team history does certainly matter, and I am sure that the White Sox would trade in their 2005 trophy for the 26 that the Yankees have gotten since the W. Sox first one. And I am sure that the Marlins would trade in their history for the 26 Championships the Yakees despite the 2003 trophy. Same for the Diamonbacks in 2001. Yankees fans hae every right to be proud of their history - which shows something much more important that a single season trophy (which has a lot of luck involved) - franchise domination. give me the latter, thank you very much.

I am not a big Yankee or Red Sox fan, but if I had a chose, I'd rather see the real Yankees on top, than the team that acts like they are the Yankees.
                      Sounds like you don't think too much of the players representing the Yankee team, this is the Yankees as they are today.

Comment

Sounds like you don't think too much of the players representing the Yankee team, this is the Yankees as they are today.
                        No, I'm not a fan of teams who win a couple championships in recent history and many fans act like they are God's gift to their respected sport or act like a couple of recent success negates decades and decades of inferiority to the team they brag towards the most. This is what I fear most when the Cubs finally win a W.S.. And it isn't just the Sox, lots of franchises do it. Not a fan of either team, and I really don't have anything personal against any of the players on either team and know that most fans of any team are great.
                        1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                        The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

I'm curious, exactly are you saying about the current Yankee team? That their players believe that other teams are unworthy?

Comment

• Originally posted by STLCards2 View Post
                            This is what I fear most when the Cubs finally win a W.S..
                            Heh, exactly. Before Boston won it's WS I was a secret Cubs rooter, feeling that they were much like my own team, historic "almost greats" . After seeing how well *cough* Boston fans handled their own win and now having one less team with a historic losing streak, I now root against the Cubs and don't want them to even sniff a WS.

Not before my team wins one anyway. :gt

After that it's all good.

Comment

• I'm gonna tell you a story
                              I'm gonna tell you about my town
                              I'm gonna tell you a big bad story, baby
                              Aww, it's all about my town
                              Yeah, down by the river
                              Down by the banks of the river Charles
                              (aw, that's what's happenin' baby)
                              That's where you'll find me
                              Along with lovers, muggers, and thieves
                              (aw, but they're cool people)
                              Well I love that dirty water
                              Oh, Boston, you're my home
                              (oh, you're the Number One place)
                              Frustrated women
                              (I mean they're frustrated)
                              Have to be in by twelve o'clock
                              (oh, that's a shame)
                              But I'm wishin' and a-hopin, oh
                              That just once those doors weren't locked
                              (I like to save time for my baby to walk around)
                              Well I love that dirty water
                              Oh, Boston, you're my home
                              (oh, yeah)
                              Because I love that dirty water
                              Oh, oh, Boston, you're my home
                              (oh, yeah)
                              Well, I love that dirty water
                              (I love it, baby)
                              I love that dirty water
                              (I love Baw-stun)
                              I love that dirty water
                              (Have you heard about the Strangler?)
                              I love that dirty water
                              (I'm the man, I'm the man)
                              I love that dirty water
                              (Owww!)
                              I love that dirty water
                              (Come on, come on)

And..as an added bonus...to rebut last night's Yankee win...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm4iU0yx9GY
                              sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

• Based on how the Yankees-Red Sox series has gone so far I think it will be almost impossible to predict the AL Pennant Winner.
                                "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
                                "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X