This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KenFougere
    He who laughs last ...laughs all winter...

{You guys shouldn't worry about Williamson,
    you've got enough to worry about with the fading skills of your closer...}
    I think I'll enjoy this winter. And you?

I don't know about that. Suppan, Lowe and Williamson didn't really impress last time. We'll see about later on though.

As to Mo, he got the save last night. You can't be overworked nonstop and still be effective. We've got Nellie back, who was never replaced, so a piece of the puzzle has just been added, while Benitez got the royal boot.

GO BALTIMORE!
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by KenFougere
      He who laughs last ...laughs all winter...
      You see there, I'm very happy for you Ken, already moved on to acceptance and put this lost season behind you, but don't you think it's a little early to be worrying about winter meetings?

Comment

• Originally posted by BC498
        You see there, I'm very happy for you Ken, already moved on to acceptance and put this lost season behind you, but don't you think it's a little early to be worrying about winter meetings?
        I'm not talking smack, but Boston fans talking about long winters. No insult intended, and I mean that quite honestly, but something about that appears odd.

Looking at the score in game 1, I think that shows my point that you need pitching, not just every offensive stat.

Someone mentioned to me that after the break, Boston has lost their games by over 4 runs, while we're losing 1 or 2 run games. To me, that's pitching. Oh well, they could've had Colon but I guess Fossum was too much to give up. Oh well.
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Tomorrow, Tomorrow . . .

Good-nite everybody.
          {no. not meant literally...ha. beat ya to it.}

Tomorrow is a new day...
          Ken Fougère

Comment

• Shakespeare must have been a precognitive Red Sox fan. Check out this line from Macbeth:

"Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow..."

followed by:

"It it a tale told by an idiot,
            Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

I'm going to bed.
            --Annie
            Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
            Remember Yellowdog
            ABNY

Comment

• The only "tomorrow" I can think of is the line from Annie, the musical. You know, "tomorrow, tomorrow, I'll love you, tomorrow, you're only a day away". Something like this.

Anyway, the lead is now up by 4, as Benitez gave the Yanks the insurance they'd needed (still on George's payroll, I insist), Nellie was lights out, beating Ichiro easily, despite bad numbers against lefties. Oh, and Mr Unautomatic got the save tonight, going Uno-Dos-Tres!

Night, y'all.
              Last edited by Mattingly; 08-08-2003, 07:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by VTSoxFan
                Shakespeare must have been a precognitive Red Sox fan. Check out this line from Macbeth:

"Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow..."

followed by:

"It it a tale told by an idiot,
                Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

I'm going to bed.
                I Had to recite this lol.
                International League Fourm and Pacific Coast League Fourm Triple A Baseball

"The dumber a pitcher is, the better. When he gets smart and begins to experiment with a lot of different pitches, he's in trouble. All I ever had was a fastball, a curve and a changeup and I did pretty good."
                Dizzy Dean.

9 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!

19261931193419421944 1946196419671982

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
                  I'm not talking smack, but Boston fans talking about long winters.
                  Of course you're right, its much easier to talk trash when you're ahead. Hang in there guys its only 4 games and its only August 8th. Besides we need to sweat a little in September.

Comment

• Originally posted by BC498
                    Of course you're right, its much easier to talk trash when you're ahead. Hang in there guys its only 4 games and its only August 8th. Besides we need to sweat a little in September.
                    It would be too easy talking trash tonight, but still, I don't take anything for granted. Despite their pitching woes (starters and pen) this side of Pedro, Boston still has a highly offensive team which can spring and pounce quickly.

I'll have to see how well they play other teams and hopefully, we can hold them down when we play them. I never take anything for granted, not even TB, Cleveland nor Detroit. Even Texas can still kill you.

With Nelson totally dominating and being very happy, I'm hoping it's like a case of David Wells where his record was questionable, but he became very good to excellent back in pinstripes. Not pretending of any "magic" or "mystique" or whatever, just saying that some players happen to like a team.

If Nellie and Mo can be the Mo and Wetteland of 1996, sans Wetteland's Maalox moments in the 9th, the I'll take it. I'd also like to see Joe trust Hitchcock some more, since despite that walk, he was doing OK. It was Hammond who messed up, giving up the 2 run HR to Winn.

Less trying to stretch everybody if Nellie can do the 8th and occasionally the 9th. Despite being 6 years older, he looked infinitely sharper than Benitez, especially taking out the very respected Ichiro so easily, and he doesn't even have good numbers against lefties.

Oh well, I thank the Mets, since without Benitez, we'd have nobody to trade to get Nellie back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
                      I never take anything for granted, not even TB, Cleveland nor Detroit.
                      Nor should you take the D-rays for granted with that immortal Damain Rolls lurking in Tampa. More than any other sport, baseball is unpredictable. Who knows when Billy Traber is going to pitch a one-hitter? Baseball is a thinking man's game, and a wiseman (or woman) always leaves open the realm of possibility.

P.S. The latest CA gubernatorial campaign; Peter Uberoff.
                      Anybody want to loan me $3,500?
                      Last edited by BC498; 08-08-2003, 08:32 PM.

Comment

• It's always a thinking man's game. Who would've thought that Damian Rolls would've hit 2 home runs off Roger Clemens, costing him a win?

Right now, certainly nothing to take away from Boston, I see this long stretch as the Yanks to lose, but with no Benitez, less weird fixes and putting people in who are overused. Nellie can hopefully pick up the slack and close a game or two. I can do without the fakes to 3B then 1B and crazy comments, so he and Boomer shouldn't hang in the same dive bar.

If the pen is used better, no more Hammond killing us in games Weaver started (kind of like how Benitez couldn't close any of Leiter's games as a Met), we may be in OK shape. I just want the following used and fresh, but not overused:

Mo (R-Closer)
                        Nellie (L-Setup)
                        Osuna (R-Mid)
                        Hammond (L-Mid)
                        Hitchcock (L-Long/Mopup)

In the 2001 season, Sweet Lou said he had 5 guys he could trust, and I think that our 5 should get the job done.

As to the race, heck, I'm surprised they haven't nominated dead men yet. Ahnald is supposedly getting ripped about using roids, treatment of women on film sets and whatever. I expect Howard Stern to run also, since he ran for NY governor, but dropped out when time for the required financial disclosures came about.
                        Last edited by Mattingly; 08-08-2003, 08:45 PM.

Comment

• Magic Number!

45!
                          (+11)
                          WORLD CHAMPIONS!

1923 • 1927 • 1928 • 1932 • 1936 • 1937 • 1938 • 1939 • 1941 • 1943

1947 • 1949 • 1950 • 1951 • 1952 • 1953 • 1956 • 1958 • 1961 • 1962

1977 • 1978 • 1996 • 1998 • 1999 • 2000 • 2009

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammerin Hank
                            I never even knew how intense the Cubs-Cardinals rivalry was until I came to this site and found out how much Cards fans hated the Cubs. I couldn't understand why when they always beat Chicago so easily everytime.....
                            I don't know I am a die hard Cards fan and I don't HATE the Cubs but growing up in Chitown it was hard to root for them.. i would say Sox fans hate the Cubs more then Cards fans.. Heck the most fun thing about being a Cards fans is the Cards/Cubs games at Wrigley
                            GO CARDINALS!!!!

Comment

• Has it been a year already?

Originally posted by BC498
                              Originally posted by Mattingly I'm not talking smack, but Boston fans talking about long winters.

Originally posted by KenFougere
                              He who laughs last ...laughs all winter.
                              Boy, you guys got this Soooo wrong!

OK guys...'letme splain theis'

"He who laughs last"...the last one who laughs, will be the happy one {World Champs}

".laughs all winter"... because he'll enjoy the championship all winter.

Since good times never last long enough, I'm planning on celebrating all winter. Now, where did I say that I was giving up or planning on a l-o-n-g winter?
                              You guys really should start reading some non-fiction for a change... Believe me. I know from experience, wishing really hard for something you want seldom works.

ATTENTION MEMBERS!
                              I'd like everyone to join me in wishing YankeeMan a very Happy Birthday number...
                              4 5 !
                              Ken Fougère

Comment

• From Mattingly: "The only "tomorrow" I can think of is the line from Annie, the musical. You know, "tomorrow, tomorrow, I'll love you, tomorrow, you're only a day away". Something like this."

From BC498: "Hang in there guys its only 4 games and its only August 8th. Besides we need to sweat a little in September."

Sympathy from The Evil Empire? Good grief. The end of the world must be at hand.

Well, I'm not quite as depressed as I was last night (god, but I was tired!!) but I'm not exactly clicking my heels this morning. It was only two games (two games! pounds head and fists on wall, weeping in rage) and there's still a long way to go. Well, 7 weeks. (Why is it that I counted about 1671400000 days between the Series and Spring Training, and then the Season goes by before I have time to draw breath? It ain't fair.)

What we need... Walker and Manny to start hitting again; Pedro to pitch CGs every time, with run support; someone to time-travel and go to last year and get that Derek Lowe and bring him here...

No, honestly, Lowe's got to get that goofy head back on his shoulders. Burkett is the one pitching like a #2, not Lowe, and Wake is reliable, in as much as a knuckleball is reliable. Suppan, I think, was not only a little nervous but pretty rusty in his start last week, so I think he'll be okay. Hey, Fossum was pretty good last night, and would have gotten out of it if not for Mueller's unusual error. The problem was the hitters being baffled by off-speed stuff again. That's how they got into trouble in TX last week. They somehow have a knack for getting to good pitchers while making mediocre pitchers look great. They'll get over that.

Keeping hope alive... and next time I'm that tired, I will just hit the hay and not bother to post my miserable musings.
                                --Annie
                                Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
                                Remember Yellowdog
                                ABNY

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X