• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• - You know, it's a beautiful night for a walk- off! - image280.gif
    Ken Fougère

Comment

• Originally posted by KenFougere View Post
      - You know, it's a beautiful night for a walk- off! - [ATTACH]127580[/ATTACH]

It sure is
      sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

• Apparently it was also a great night to call Nunez out when he was clearly safe. Eh, what does it matter? This Yankee team is going nowhere. Time to watch some old World Series Championship videos... But which ones? There's so many to choose from...
        WORLD CHAMPIONS!

1923 • 1927 • 1928 • 1932 • 1936 • 1937 • 1938 • 1939 • 1941 • 1943

1947 • 1949 • 1950 • 1951 • 1952 • 1953 • 1956 • 1958 • 1961 • 1962

1977 • 1978 • 1996 • 1998 • 1999 • 2000 • 2009

Comment

• Originally posted by YankeeMan View Post
          Apparently it was also a great night to call Nunez out when he was clearly safe. Eh, what does it matter? This Yankee team is going nowhere. Time to watch some old World Series Championship videos... But which ones? There's so many to choose from...
          Try either 2004 or 2007.
          "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
          "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyK View Post
            Try either 2004 or 2007.
            Those are my two favorites

Comment

Apparently it was also a great night to call Nunez out when he was clearly safe. Eh, what does it matter? This Yankee team is going nowhere. Time to watch some old World Series Championship videos... But which ones? There's so many to choose from... ---> Ken -
              Oh, come on now. That's just, (4th place-7 GB), talking...

Originally posted by TonyK View Post
              Try either 2004 or 2007.
              Very good comeback!

Originally posted by SDL View Post
              Those are my two favorites
              I particularly like 2004, myself. (For some historic reason which I can't put my finger on at the moment . . . )

* BTW, it's so nice to have educated baseball fans who see things as I do! The correct way.
              Ken Fougère

Comment

• Recognition of my childhood baseball heros' accomplishments 34 yrs ago this week!

Inside Pitch - Baseball's Hall of Fame
                BY andrew kivette
                JUly 22, 2013

Thirty four years ago in 1979 – Boston’s Carl Yastrzemski became the first player in American League history to record over 3,000 hits, and over 400 home runs in a career.

He joined Ted Williams as the only other Red Sox player to hit 400 home runs in a career with the Red Sox, playing to a near capacity Fenway Park crowd on a Wednesday evening in the summer of 1979.

Few baseball players embodied the Boston Red Sox spirit the way that Yastrzemski did. A career-long Red Sox player, “Yaz” – as he quickly became known – played all 23 of his professional seasons with Boston and ended his career as one of the all-time greats to ever don the Red Sox jersey.

Born Carl Michael Yastrzemski on Aug. 22, 1939, the ballplayer from Southampton, N.Y., had much to prove when he first took the field at Fenway Park for the Boston Red Sox in 1961. Yastrzemski was taking over for a future Hall of Famer in left field, Ted Williams.

He quickly became a star and one of the most adored Sox players to ever roam the outfield grass out by the Green Monster in left field.

In 1967, Yastrzemski won the AL’s Triple Crown by batting .326, while clubbing 44 home runs and driving in 121 runs, en route the AL MVP. He led the Red Sox’s Impossible Dream team to the 1967 AL Pennant the same year, eventually losing in seven games to the St. Louis Cardinals in the World Series. Boston went from ninth place in 1966 to the pennant in 1967.

Yastrzemski entered the 1979 season with 383 home runs, and on a steamy summer night in front of the hometown Red Sox fans on July 24, Yaz circled the bases of Fenway Park with his 400th career home run off of Oakland’s Mike Morgan. Breaking a 3-3 tie in the bottom of the seventh inning, the two-run blast that landed in the Oakland bullpen ultimately sealed the victory for the hometown Sox, a game they would go on to win 7-3.

The 1979 season was a banner year for Yaz. Not only did he smash his 400th home run in July, but he also collected the 3,000th hit of his career later in the year, in September, becoming the first American League player to accomplished both feats.

Ending his career with 452 home runs, Yaz ranks second on the all-time Red Sox charts and 35th in major league history. The lifelong Red Sox player totaled 3,419 hits in his 23 years and is the only Red Sox player to reach the plateau of 3,000 hits.

Yaz ranks eighth in MLB history in hits, and before Miguel Cabrera won the American League’s Triple Crown last season, Yastrzemski was the last man to do so – in his MVP year of 1967.

An 18-time All-Star at three different positions – left field, center field and first base – and recipient of seven Gold Glove Awards, Yastrzemski was a first-ballot Hall of Famer as his name appeared on 94.6 percent of the Baseball Writers Association of America’s ballots in 1989.

* Attention YM!
                Yastrzemski is the greatest left fielder I’ve ever seen,” the late former YANKEE manager Billy Martin said. “Nobody in my years in baseball could make the plays out there Yaz does.”

When Carl Yastrzemski retired he was the all-time Red Sox leader in eight major categories - games, at-bats, runs, hits, doubles, total bases, RBI and extra-base hits. (Rich Pilling/NBHOF Library)

*Andrew Kivette is the 2013 public relations intern in the Hall of Fame’s Frank and Peggy Steele Internship Program for Youth Leadership Development
                Ken Fougère

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyK View Post
                  Try either 2004 or 2007.
                  Hmm, I don't seem to have those particular seasons...
                  [FYI: I also don't have 1976, 1981, 2001, or 2003.]

Oh,
                  Yaz was a great player. But the greatest LF? I doubt it. :twocents:

And, back to that wonderful Autumn day in 1978, I always thought the luckiest break the Yankees got was Piniella's half-blind stab that preserved the lead in the ninth.
                  WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Oh, Yaz was a great player. But the greatest LF? I doubt it. :twocents:

And, back to that wonderful Autumn day in 1978, I always thought the luckiest break the Yankees got was Piniella's half-blind stab that preserved the lead in the ninth.
                    Now, you see how you are?
                    And you wonder why nobody likes you. Out of the blue, unprovocative, you have to bring up that 1978 sunny afternoon & that lucky, (blind-as-a-bat), ******* you had playing left . . . :dismay:
                    FYI, You didn't watch Yaz play left field every day for the better part of 23 years like I did. So I strongly disagree with with you. He still holds the all-time record for leading the league in outfield assists, (7). In 1977, at the age of 38, played left the entire season without making a single error earning another gold-glove I could go on & on if you'd like? -
                    Ken Fougère

Comment

• T h a n k - Y o u, Y A N K E E S !
                      Ken Fougère

Comment

T h a n k - Y o u, Y A N K E E S !
                        Dammit....:disgruntled:
                        WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Comment

• Un-Freaken Believable!

:dismay: - * It figures. YankeeMan is on vacation, so I can't rub his nose in it! -
                          Last edited by KenFougere; 08-02-2013, 08:51 AM.
                          Ken Fougère

Comment

• Yankees posed to jump past Orioles into 3rd place.

It's starting to get interesting again . . .

mlb.mlb.com 2013-8-31 8 56 39.png
                            Ken Fougère

Comment

• They're falling and they can't get up . . .

The Rays are choking. Much like another team too. -
                              Ken Fougère

Comment

The Rays are choking. Much like another team too. -
                                [ATTACH]128359[/ATTACH]
                                Since I live 10 minutes from Tropicana Field...I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X