Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Bitter Rivals Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by TonyK View Post
    Or his cigar.
    You got that right too!
    Ken Fougère

    Comment


    • Originally posted by SDL View Post
      Chick Hearn couldn't hold Johnny Most's jockstrap!
      Johnny Who? [Oh, and screw Havlicek too -- Magic was better.]

      BTW, check out this page on Chuck Hearn (and especially the expressions he added to the common lexicon of basketball). :scholar: What does your guy got? "Havlicek stole the ball!?" Please.... :stare:


      WORLD CHAMPIONS!

      1923 • 1927 • 1928 • 1932 • 1936 • 1937 • 1938 • 1939 • 1941 • 1943

      1947 • 1949 • 1950 • 1951 • 1952 • 1953 • 1956 • 1958 • 1961 • 1962


      1977 • 1978 • 1996 • 1998 • 1999 • 2000 • 2009

      Comment


      • What did Johnny have? Need you ask???

        "He nicknamed Laker star point guard Magic Johnson "Crybaby Johnson" after Johnson successfully challenged a referee's call. He called Magic this negative nickname throughout the remainder of the 1980s, announcing lines like "Cry with the no-look pass!" and "Crybaby with the rebound!"[2] He also nicknamed Washington Bullets players Rick Mahorn and Jeff Ruland as "McFilthy" and "McNasty", interchanging the two at his whim, and was very critical of the Detroit Pistons for their physical play during the late 1980s. He was particularly hard on Bill Laimbeer (whom he memorably called a "dirty rotten player"), Dennis Rodman, Rick Mahorn and Isiah Thomas, whom he referred to as Little Lord Fauntleroy."

        He called Bobby Jones, Steve Mix and Andrew Toney of the Sixers "The Hatchet Brothers"

        Johnny was the Most!

        http://youtu.be/Yu8Da3pe9h0
        Last edited by SDL; 03-06-2014, 07:43 PM.
        sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

        Comment


        • Chuck Hearn lives on!!!

          Originally posted by SDL View Post
          What did Johnny have? Need you ask???

          "He nicknamed Laker star point guard Magic Johnson "Crybaby Johnson" after Johnson successfully challenged a referee's call. He called Magic this negative nickname throughout the remainder of the 1980s, announcing lines like "Cry with the no-look pass!" and "Crybaby with the rebound!"[2] He also nicknamed Washington Bullets players Rick Mahorn and Jeff Ruland as "McFilthy" and "McNasty", interchanging the two at his whim, and was very critical of the Detroit Pistons for their physical play during the late 1980s. He was particularly hard on Bill Laimbeer (whom he memorably called a "dirty rotten player"), Dennis Rodman, Rick Mahorn and Isiah Thomas, whom he referred to as Little Lord Fauntleroy."

          He called Bobby Jones, Steve Mix and Andrew Toney of the Sixers "The Hatchet Brothers"

          Johnny was the Most!

          http://youtu.be/Yu8Da3pe9h0
          And nobody outside of Boston cared. Conversely, how many times have you heard other announcers use the expression "airball" and, thus, it seems to me that Mr. Hearns left a more lasting impression.

          SDL: Please note that I never followed basketball until after my family moved to Malibu when I was 13 (January 1980).
          Last edited by YankeeMan; 03-07-2014, 02:02 PM.
          WORLD CHAMPIONS!

          1923 • 1927 • 1928 • 1932 • 1936 • 1937 • 1938 • 1939 • 1941 • 1943

          1947 • 1949 • 1950 • 1951 • 1952 • 1953 • 1956 • 1958 • 1961 • 1962


          1977 • 1978 • 1996 • 1998 • 1999 • 2000 • 2009

          Comment




          • As much as I have LOVED pointing out, (multiple times), to YANKEEMAN how no team in professional sports history has ever matched or will ever match what the Celtics have accomplished for consecutive championships, I really can't wait for the ring ceremony on Opening Day at Fenway Park!
            Ken Fougère

            Comment


            • Originally posted by KenFougere View Post


              ...I really can't wait for the ring ceremony on Opening Day at Fenway Park!
              That's because winning a World Series title has been considered a significant accomplishment for over 100 years.

              The NBA Finals... not so much.
              WORLD CHAMPIONS!

              1923 • 1927 • 1928 • 1932 • 1936 • 1937 • 1938 • 1939 • 1941 • 1943

              1947 • 1949 • 1950 • 1951 • 1952 • 1953 • 1956 • 1958 • 1961 • 1962


              1977 • 1978 • 1996 • 1998 • 1999 • 2000 • 2009

              Comment


              • Originally posted by YankeeMan View Post
                That's because winning a World Series title has been considered a significant accomplishment for over 100 years.

                The NBA Finals... not so much.
                I understand your point that baseball has a history that spans over 125 years, but, to me, a championship in any of the 4 major professional sports is very hard to accomplish and should be considered equal. The NFL even more so because the Super Bowl is a single game, not a best 4 out of 7 series like the NHL, NBA & MLB. -
                Ken Fougère

                Comment


                • Originally posted by KenFougere View Post
                  I understand your point that baseball has a history that spans over 125 years, but, to me, a championship in any of the 4 major professional sports is very hard to accomplish and should be considered equal. The NFL even more so because the Super Bowl is a single game, not a best 4 out of 7 series like the NHL, NBA & MLB. -

                  Okay, then let me ask you this: Since the National League was founded in 1876 (thus beginning the "Major League Era"), how many of those championships earned would equate in level of difficulty to the 2013 Red Sox? Not many "B.R." [see note below].

                  Consider this... In 1903 the World Series began as an "exhibition" and the Red Sox later claimed (after winning) that they were the "World Champions." Thus, in 1904, the NY Giants refused to play the series. Also, corruption was rampant -- a gaggle of players were selling games daily, etc. Historians put the start of the "modern era" with the introduction of the new baseball and the banning of the Black Sox. To me, the modern era might start even later... (Say 1923? ) I think of it as "Before Ruth/After Ruth" ("B.R./A.R.") and personality of the entire sport in flux around this larger-than-life figure.

                  The "modern era" in the NFL = Super Bowl I

                  The "modern era" in the NHL = Gretzky

                  The "modern era" in the NBA = Magic+Bird


                  Last edited by YankeeMan; 03-09-2014, 10:43 PM.
                  WORLD CHAMPIONS!

                  1923 • 1927 • 1928 • 1932 • 1936 • 1937 • 1938 • 1939 • 1941 • 1943

                  1947 • 1949 • 1950 • 1951 • 1952 • 1953 • 1956 • 1958 • 1961 • 1962


                  1977 • 1978 • 1996 • 1998 • 1999 • 2000 • 2009

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by YankeeMan View Post

                    Okay, then let me ask you this: Since the National League was founded in 1876 (thus beginning the "Major League Era"), how many of those championships earned would equate in level of difficulty to the 2013 Red Sox? Not many "B.R." [see note below].

                    Consider this... In 1903 the World Series began as an "exhibition" and the Red Sox later claimed (after winning) that they were the "World Champions." Thus, in 1904, the NY Giants refused to play the series. Also, corruption was rampant -- a gaggle of players were selling games daily, etc. Historians put the start of the "modern era" with the introduction of the new baseball and the banning of the Black Sox. To me, the modern era might start even later... (Say 1923? ) I think of it as "Before Ruth/After Ruth" ("B.R./A.R.") and personality of the entire sport in flux around this larger-than-life figure.

                    The "modern era" in the NFL = Super Bowl I

                    The "modern era" in the NHL = Gretzky

                    The "modern era" in the NBA = Magic+Bird
                    Ok, I can see your points and I agree somewhat with all you've said, EXCEPT.
                    The "modern era" in the NHL = Bobby Orr ( Have you even SEEN him play?) He totally changed everything about the NHL.

                    Orr is widely acknowledged to be one of the greatest hockey players of all time. As a defenceman, Orr revolutionized how the game was played. He used his ice skating speed and scoring and play-making abilities to revolutionize the position.

                    As of 2013,
                    • Orr remains the only defenceman to have won the league scoring title. Not once, but twice with two Art Ross Trophies
                    • Orr holds the record for most points and assists in a single season by a defenceman.
                    • Orr won a record eight consecutive Norris Trophies as the NHL's best defenceman
                    • He won three consecutive Hart Trophies as the league's Most Valuable Player.
                    • Orr was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1979 at age 31. He was the youngest to be inducted into the Hall at that time.


                    And I feel...
                    The "modern era" in the NBA = Bill Russell + Wilt Chamberlain
                    Last edited by KenFougere; 03-11-2014, 07:29 AM.
                    Ken Fougère

                    Comment


                    • Hey Ken, I'm new on this thread. Just got a question: Is this Beantown against the world or something? I'm all up against bashing the Lakers and the Yankees and the Heat.
                      "I am not too serious about anything. I believe you have to enjoy yourself to get the most out of your ability."-
                      George Brett

                      Comment


                      • Whose your favorite and least favorite teams?

                        Originally posted by yankillaz View Post
                        Hey Ken, I'm new on this thread. Just got a question: Is this Beantown against the world or something? I'm all up against bashing the Lakers and the Yankees and the Heat.
                        Welcome yankillaz. I started this thread over 12 years ago with one subject in mind. Favorite rivalries. No rules. Just speak your mind and let your opinions flow . . .
                        Ken Fougère

                        Comment


                        • Ok. Talking about rivalries:

                          Toronto Blue Jays vs. Oakland Athletics from 1989 to 1992. I HATED Dave Stewart. Of course, then he went to Toronto so I HAD to like him.
                          "I am not too serious about anything. I believe you have to enjoy yourself to get the most out of your ability."-
                          George Brett

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by yankillaz View Post
                            Ok. Talking about rivalries:

                            Toronto Blue Jays vs. Oakland Athletics from 1989 to 1992. I HATED Dave Stewart. Of course, then he went to Toronto so I HAD to like him.
                            Hey yankillaz, Welcome to the THREAD OF DOOM! There's only ONE RULE in here...

                            Ken has his opinion and he thinks everyone's entitled to it!


                            Hmm, no, wait, I think that's me! :clown:

                            Jays-A's? And you didn't have to like Stewart. I've despised A-Rod his entire tenure in pinstripes.
                            Last edited by YankeeMan; 03-11-2014, 10:37 PM.
                            WORLD CHAMPIONS!

                            1923 • 1927 • 1928 • 1932 • 1936 • 1937 • 1938 • 1939 • 1941 • 1943

                            1947 • 1949 • 1950 • 1951 • 1952 • 1953 • 1956 • 1958 • 1961 • 1962


                            1977 • 1978 • 1996 • 1998 • 1999 • 2000 • 2009

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by KenFougere View Post
                              And I feel...
                              The "modern era" in the NBA = Bill Russell + Wilt Chamberlain
                              Really, because in 1979 (year before Magic-Bird roof: ), except in certain cities (most notably Seattle and Washington), some of the games of the NBA "World Championship Series" (later known as the "NBA Finals") were shown on "tape delay" (after the 11 o'clock news on the east coast). [And, Ken, you're old enough to remember that!] Does that sound "major league" to you? :stare:
                              Last edited by YankeeMan; 03-11-2014, 11:16 PM.
                              WORLD CHAMPIONS!

                              1923 • 1927 • 1928 • 1932 • 1936 • 1937 • 1938 • 1939 • 1941 • 1943

                              1947 • 1949 • 1950 • 1951 • 1952 • 1953 • 1956 • 1958 • 1961 • 1962


                              1977 • 1978 • 1996 • 1998 • 1999 • 2000 • 2009

                              Comment


                              • Modern NBA began in 1984, the famous draft year.

                                I had to like him, Yankeeman, he gave my team a different edge.
                                "I am not too serious about anything. I believe you have to enjoy yourself to get the most out of your ability."-
                                George Brett

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X