This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KenFougere View Post
    You might know this or not. But he married a woman, Peggy Wood and in the old Garden, hanging from the rafters every game was a huge sign stating, "It takes Wood to make Orr's" -
    I remember
    sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

You can't be serious? The longer I know you, the more of your rhetoric I have to endure. Sometimes after reading statements like the one quoted above, I can't accept it simply because you're from New York and you simply don't know any better.

Now try to follow my line of reasoning here...
      • Bobby Orr was a DEFENSEMAN.
      • Gretzky was a OFFENSEMAN
      • Bobby Orr played only 9 healthy seasons.
      • Gretzky played double that.
      • Only you could compare pts/gm between a defenseman & a centerman.

Seriously. Please read up on Orr. Not his stats, but some sportswriters opinions who consistently saw him play and comment on how he truly transformed the game of hockey. Flyer's Rival Bobby Clarke, commenting on Orr, said, "It wasn't fair that he was made to play with us. There should have been a higher league for him to go to."
      He was the most complete hockey player of all time. He made his teammates better players. An example, at the end of the 1971-72 regular season, SEVEN Bruins finished in the top 10 NHL scorers. Without Orr, that can't happen and hasn't happen since.
      Please, put 20-30 minutes aside to research his career and see how highly he was, and is still regarded in hockey history. After that, I'd like to know if your opinion of his place in hockey history has changed...

I know all about Orr. I saw him play, much to my regret <GO RANGERS!>. And he was the "most complete" hockey player I've ever seen. But, IMO, Gretzky was "other worldly" and revolutionized the game of hockey. That said, pick your #1... Most sensible people place the guy you didn't pick at #2. That says a lot... about both of them.
      WORLD CHAMPIONS!

1923 • 1927 • 1928 • 1932 • 1936 • 1937 • 1938 • 1939 • 1941 • 1943

1947 • 1949 • 1950 • 1951 • 1952 • 1953 • 1956 • 1958 • 1961 • 1962

1977 • 1978 • 1996 • 1998 • 1999 • 2000 • 2009

Comment

• Yo Ken, are you against the "Great One"?

BTW, how about on tennis? Federer or Nadal?
        "I am not too serious about anything. I believe you have to enjoy yourself to get the most out of your ability."-
        George Brett

Comment

• Originally posted by yankillaz View Post
          Yo Ken, are you against the "Great One"?

Hey, if neither of them are from Boston (or New York), we might get an objective answer.
          WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Comment

• Man, you've gotta get off the 'scripts!

Originally posted by YankeeMan View Post
            Hey, if neither of them are from Boston (or New York), we might get an objective answer.
            I can't believe, YOU, of all people can come out with a comment like that about someone else.
            You've got more balls than there are currently in Florida & Arizona combined... -
            Ken Fougère

Comment

• Orr: the best all around talented player the game has ever seen.

Originally posted by yankillaz View Post
              Yo Ken, are you against the "Great One"?

Gretzky is without question the best offensive player ever.
              Bobby Orr, however, transformed the game of hockey into the game you see today and in my opinion, was the best all around talented player the game has ever seen. He did it all, at a level that hasn't been seen since 1975, his 9th and final healthy season. His career was cut in half because of constant knee injuries. Gretzky avoided all contact, especially against the boards, which is why he could play 18 years. Twice as long as Orr's career. Don't misunderstand me. Those two are the NHL's best and in a their own class...
              Here is just one example of a fan, hockey player poll. NHL Elo Player Ratings

Orr revolutionized the sport with his scoring ability and play-making from the blue line. Other defenders, beginning as early as Lester Patrick in the nascent days of the game, had been offensive threats, but Orr dominated. He won two scoring titles, the only defender to accomplish that feat, and had career season highs of 46 goals and 102 assists. More than just statistics, Orr had the ability to control the game, to take over. He had the speed to float away from defenders and also to recover should he lose possession or get caught on a rush. Often, odd-man rushes in the other team's favour were reversed by his effortless strides.

For eight consecutive seasons Orr won the Norris Trophy as the best defenseman and three times he was the league's most valuable player to collect the Hart Trophy. Orr's plus-minus rating when he was at his best was untouchable at plus-124 in 1970-71, when he scored 139 points. The great ones all bear a mark of originality, but Bobby Orr's mark on hockey, all too brief in years, may have been the most distinctive of any player in NHL history.

OrrTrophies.jpg

By the end of the '69-'70 season Bobby Orr had collected the Stanley Cup, his third straight Norris Trophy, his 1st (of 2) Art Ross trophy's, the Hart Trophy, and the Conn Smythe trophy. All his hardware made Bobby Orr the first player in NHL history to win four individual achievement awards in the same season.

*(Not a big tennis fan since the '70's & '80's (Connors, McEnroe, Borg etc.) Today's players are too dull, no personalities anymore...)
              Last edited by KenFougere; 03-17-2014, 09:47 PM.
              Ken Fougère

Comment

Gretzky is without question the best offensive player ever.
                Bobby Orr, however, transformed the game of hockey into the game you see today and in my opinion, was the best all around talented player the game has ever seen. He did it all, at a level that hasn't been seen since 1975, his 9th and final healthy season. His career was cut in half because of constant knee injuries. Gretzky avoided all contact, especially against the boards, which is why he could play 18 years. Twice as long as Orr's career. Don't misunderstand me. Those two are the NHL's best and in a their own class...
                Here is just one example of a fan, hockey player poll. NHL Elo Player Ratings

Orr revolutionized the sport with his scoring ability and play-making from the blue line. Other defenders, beginning as early as Lester Patrick in the nascent days of the game, had been offensive threats, but Orr dominated. He won two scoring titles, the only defender to accomplish that feat, and had career season highs of 46 goals and 102 assists. More than just statistics, Orr had the ability to control the game, to take over. He had the speed to float away from defenders and also to recover should he lose possession or get caught on a rush. Often, odd-man rushes in the other team's favour were reversed by his effortless strides.

For eight consecutive seasons Orr won the Norris Trophy as the best defenseman and three times he was the league's most valuable player to collect the Hart Trophy. Orr's plus-minus rating when he was at his best was untouchable at plus-124 in 1970-71, when he scored 139 points. The great ones all bear a mark of originality, but Bobby Orr's mark on hockey, all too brief in years, may have been the most distinctive of any player in NHL history.

[ATTACH]136816[/ATTACH]

By the end of the '69-'70 season Bobby Orr had collected the Stanley Cup, his third straight Norris Trophy, his 1st (of 2) Art Ross trophy's, the Hart Trophy, and the Conn Smythe trophy. All his hardware made Bobby Orr the first player in NHL history to win four individual achievement awards in the same season.

*(Not a big tennis fan since the '70's & '80's (Connors, McEnroe, Borg etc.) Today's players are too dull, no personalities anymore...)
                ...oh, were you still talking? [I must've nodded off there for a minute <yawn>. :clown:]

Gretzky was better.
                WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Comment

• Originally posted by YankeeMan View Post
                  ...oh, were you still talking? [I must've nodded off there for a minute <yawn>. :clown:]

Gretzky was better.
                  No way to prove that you know.

If it's sudden death overtime and the puck goes into the corner and both Orr and Gretzky go after it, I know which one will probably be coming out of the corner with the puck.
                  "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
                  "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyK View Post
                    No way to prove that you know.

If it's sudden death overtime and the puck goes into the corner and both Orr and Gretzky go after it, I know which one will probably be coming out of the corner with the puck.
                    You've got that right. No brainier. .
                    But you forgot one thing
                    Gretzky never went into a corner. (Unless of course, he was the only player going for the puck . . . )
                    Ken Fougère

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyK View Post
                      If it's sudden death overtime...
                      Yeah, I know. I'm just trying to get Ken's goat... :clown:
                      86goat.jpg Hiya Ken!

Besides, who can argue with this...

15 Days 18 hours and 19 minutes until Red Sox @ Yankees! :gt
                      WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Comment

• Still hurting buddy?

Originally posted by YankeeMan View Post
                        Yeah, I know. I'm just trying to get Ken's goat... :clown:
                        [ATTACH]137272[/ATTACH] Hiya Ken!

Besides, who can argue with this...
                        [ATTACH]137273[/ATTACH]

15 Days 18 hours and 19 minutes until Red Sox @ Yankees! :gt
                        Billy Buckner? Really? There's still 2 weeks of spring training left and you pull out his picture already? -
                        Sounds like
                        'someone's' still feeling a bit bitter over last year's WS outcome. -

Well, have your wife buy you a nice comfy pillow cause you're gonna need it after, We Kick Your Ass! - ass-kicking.gif
                        Ken Fougère

Comment

• I reserve the right to pull out a picture of Buckner at anytime...
                          WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Comment

• Originally posted by yankeeman View Post
                            i reserve the right to pull out a picture of buckner at anytime...
                            [ATTACH]137282[/ATTACH]

u s o s u c k

Ken Fougère

Comment

• 13 days, 2 hours, and 13 minutes until: RED SOX @ YANKEES!

Originally posted by KenFougere View Post
                              u s o s u c k

Who me?! I'm a paragon of sportsmanship! I'd never intentionally mention the past foibles and failings of your beloved Red Sux.

teafortwo.jpg
                              Hiya Ken!
                              WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Comment

• Jacoby who.jpg
                                sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X