This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TonyK View Post
    As of 1 pm today the staff is Porcello, Buchholz, Miley, Kelly, and Masterson. We still have enough prospects and money left to go after Shields, Hamels, or Chris Sales. Sales earns only 6.5 million per year so it will take two or three good prospects and a few position players to get Chicago to even consider it. The staff will all be between 26 and 31 years old, and are above-average ground ball pitchers. Lester will make the same amount of money as Porcello, Miley, and Masterson combined.
    Wow, I must of been either sleeping or very busy lately.

When the hell did we get Masterson back and who did we give up for him? - - :stupidme: - :noidea

Ken Fougère

Comment

• Originally posted by KenFougere View Post
      Wow, I must of been either sleeping or very busy lately.

When the hell did we get Masterson back and who did we give up for him? - - :stupidme: - :noidea

We got him for 950 Salmon B. Chase $10,000 bills. I'll let you do the math.

Website www.mlbtraderumors.com has been reporting every deal made and I've lost count of the Red Sox signings. Cashman of the Yankees tells the press he is being patient right now. Translate that to mean he is going all in for Scherzer and Shields, and will sign them up until they can get Social Security.
      "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
      "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

...Cashman of the Yankees tells the press he is being patient right now. Translate that to mean he is going all in for Scherzer and Shields, and will sign them up until they can get Social Security.
        I agree with you 100%. But since we lost Lester, why the hell can't we go hard after Scherzer? I think he's better than Lester and you and I both know the Sox can afford him. Shields would be a great #2 on our rotation... I just read we traded Cespedes to Detroit for starter Rich Porcello...
        Ken Fougère

Comment

I agree with you 100%. But since we lost Lester, why the hell can't we go hard after Scherzer? I think he's better than Lester and you and I both know the Sox can afford him. Shields would be a great #2 on our rotation... I just read we traded Cespedes to Detroit for starter Rich Porcello...
          You asked Santa for Lester, Shields, and Stanton for Christmas. So far 0 for 2...

Were you naughty this year?

Maybe that's why we're getting a lot of nothing for Christmas?

Comment

You asked Santa for Lester, Shields, and Stanton for Christmas. So far 0 for 2...
            Were you naughty this year?

Maybe that's why we're getting a lot of nothing for Christmas?
            Boy, that's a description of my marriage too . . . :dismay: -
            Ken Fougère

Comment

• To all "Bitter Rivals" contributors . . .

Ken Fougère

Comment

• Hiroki Kuroda to leave Yankees

Hiroki Kuroda to leave Yankees, will reportedly pitch in Japan next season
                After three years in pinstripes and seven in the U.S., Kuroda has agreed to a deal with the Hiroshima Carp that will bring him back to Japan for the 2015 season, according to reports in Japanese media translated and shared by Daisuke Sugiura of Yahoo! Japan.

The Yanks have lost two productive members of the rotation in Brandon McCarthy, whom the Dodgers signed to a four-year, $48 million deal, and now Kuroda, and are banking on bounce-back years from injured starting pitchers. Who knows what they will have in former ace CC Sabathia, who is returning from knee surgery. He will be 35 in July and started just eight games in 2014. The expected ace, Masahiro Tanaka will have every eye in the organization on his right elbow this coming spring. He returned from a partially torn ligament to pitch in two games, calming some fears after he chose to rehab the injury rather than have Tommy John surgery, but there will be uncertainty going into 2015.

Ivan Nova did have Tommy John surgery, so he will not be able to rejoin the staff until May or June. While Michael Pineda has been promising at times, he has also been inconsistent and often injured. He flashed his potential in 2014 when he was not suspended for using pine tar or missing starts due to injury.

Meanwhile, Kuroda had been the Yankees’ steady veteran presence for the last three seasons. Now, with the Yankees looking to make the playoffs for the first time in three seasons, they no longer have that reliable fallback option.

According to reports, Kuroda is going back to where he started, something that had been strongly believed to be his inclination all along. He played with the Carp from 1997 to 2007 before coming to the majors and joining the Dodgers.

In seven seasons in the big leagues, Kuroda was solid and has to be considered one of the most successful pitchers to come from the NPB to the majors. He has a major-league record of 79-79 with a career 3.45 ERA. He was 41-46 with a 3.45 ERA in four seasons with the Dodgers and 38-33 with a 3.44 ERA in three seasons with the Yankees.

The Yankees staff seems to be missing something. I can't quite put my finger on it. Oh Ya, pitchers . . . . After the last 20 years or so when money was never an issue, the Yankees are now seemingly spending like the Rays!
                Last edited by KenFougere; 12-28-2014, 02:50 PM.
                Ken Fougère

Comment

• Yankees signed 32-year old Stephen Drew to a $5 million dollar contract plus incentives based on plate appearances.

Last year Drew batted .150 for NY and his OPS+ was a solid 39. He played in a total of 34 games at second base for NY. The team hopes he can replace Robinson Cano's bat. Cano batted .314 last season for Seattle with an OPS+ of 142.

Comment

Yankees signed 32-year old Stephen Drew to a $5 million dollar contract plus incentives based on plate appearances.

Last year Drew batted .150 for NY and his OPS+ was a solid 39. He played in a total of 34 games at second base for NY. The team hopes he can replace Robinson Cano's bat. Cano batted .314 last season for Seattle with an OPS+ of 142.
                    Drew is an excellent fielder. No doubt. But as far as him replicating Cano at the plate, is ludicrous.
                    Ken Fougère

Comment

Drew is an excellent fielder. No doubt. But as far as him replicating Cano at the plate, is ludicrous.
                      Maybe it is Jeter's bat. I liked Drew in 2013 and you hate to watch players like him lose it once they reach their 30's. Heck, I didn't even have it to lose so what do I know?

Comment

• Posada ignited infamous 2003 Red Sox - Yankees brawl . . . .

Pedro Martinez implies that Jorge Posada ignited infamous 2003 Red Sox - Yankees brawl by insulting his mother.

'He let it go a little bit too far with the (Don) Zimmer incident,' Martinez said of Posada on Daily News Live. 'Between Latinos you don’t mention anybody’s mother.'
                        There was never much doubt that Pedro Martinez relished the idea of intimidating Yankee hitters and plunking them when he felt like it.

On Wednesday he admitted the one guy with whom he considered it personal was Jorge Posada.

On Wednesday’s Daily News Live, Martinez made it clear that he still holds a grudge against Posada, claiming the ex-Yankee catcher carried their running feud too far at one point by insulting the Red Sox pitcher’s mother.

“Between Latinos you don’t mention anybody’s mother,” Pedro said. “And I never forgot that one. To this day.”

Martinez was on the TV show with fellow newly elected Hall of Famers John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Craig Biggio.

When Daily News Live host Jonas Schwartz asked Martinez lightheartedly if he had a Yankee he preferred hitting the most, Martinez didn’t hesitate:“Posada,” he said.

When Schwartz asked why, Martinez said, “Because Jorge always seemed to have a bad attitude toward me.”

Under further questioning Pedro admitted to making fun of Posada’s ears at times, saying, “I call him Dumbo, but that’s no reason for him to want to kill me.”

Martinez, who hit Posada only once during his career, then seemed to change course, saying he never tried to hit Posada intentionally. Yet he said the bad blood came to a head during the Yankees-Red Sox 2003 post-season brawl, during which Martinez famously threw 72-year-old coach Don Zimmer to the ground.

“Believe it or not we competed cleanly, I never tried to hit him or do anything,” Martinez said of Posada. “It was just competing. But he was always mad at me for some reason.

“Then he let it go a little bit too far with the Zimmer incident. Between Latinos you don’t mention anybody’s mother. I did not appreciate that. I know it was in the heat of the situation, but that’s sensitive to Latino players.”

Martinez wasn’t clear if Posada’s insult helped ignite the brawl or was delivered after Zimmer had charged Pedro and wound up on the ground

In any case, the Yankees were furious at Martinez that day when they felt he intentionally drilled Karim Garcia in the upper back. Posada was seen gesturing angrily from the dugout toward Martinez, and soon after the dugouts emptied when Manny Ramirez took exception to a high pitch from Roger Clemens.

In 2013 Martinez told reporters that 90% of the batters he plunked during his career were hit intentionally, but he insisted he wasn’t trying to hit Garcia.

Former Red Sox first baseman Kevin Millar, however, told the Daily News last year that Martinez hit Alfonso Soriano and Derek Jeter back-to-back in another famous incident intentionally in retaliation for Clemens plunking Millar.

“First pitch to Soriano —wham! Up near the neck," Millar said. “Next batter, Jeter — wham! Up near the neck. Pedro later told me, ‘You tell Clemens, he hits one of mine, I take two of his.’

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
                        Ken Fougère

Comment

• Ken,

It's a good thing they have the DH in the AL or Pedro and Roger might not have had very long careers. Those were some intense battles and I'm glad things settled down.

Comment

Ken,

It's a good thing they have the DH in the AL or Pedro and Roger might not have had very long careers. Those were some intense battles and I'm glad things settled down.
                            Tony, personally, I much prefer the "intense battles". The days of Fisk & Munson, Bill Lee, etc. are exactly what made this THE BEST "Bitter-Rivalry" not just in baseball, but all professional sports...

This is how Yankee Stadium looked when the Red Sox came in to play!

ImageProxy.mvc.jpg
                            Last edited by KenFougere; 01-09-2015, 02:06 PM.
                            Ken Fougère

Comment

Tony, personally, I much prefer the "intense battles". The days of Fisk & Munson, Bill Lee, etc. are exactly what made this THE BEST "Bitter-Rivalry" not just in baseball, but all professional sports...

This is how Yankee Stadium looked when the Red Sox came in to play!

[ATTACH]144797[/ATTACH]
                              Some of those seats stink for boxing unless you had binoculars.

Reminds me of the night I sat near the top of the LA Coliseum watching a football game in bad seats. The top was swaying back and forth and all I could think of was when did they predict the next earthquake would come to So. California.

I recall the rivalry was keen back in 1955 when I first rooted for the Red Sox.

Comment

• EQ is well over due.

Originally posted by TonyK View Post
                                Some of those seats stink for boxing unless you had binoculars.

Reminds me of the night I sat near the top of the LA Coliseum watching a football game in bad seats.

The top was swaying back and forth and all I could think of was when did they predict the next earthquake would come to So. California.
                                ROFLMBO.gif

- You know buddy, NOW might be a really good time to take your vacation . . .
                                Ken Fougère

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X