This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TonyK View Post
    Didn't I tell you, he parks a first inning bomb off of a high 79 MPH changeup? Yankeeman throws harder than that in his backyard playing catch with his yorkshire terrier.
    I doubt he could throw faster, but I can guarantee his mouth is twice that . . .
    Last edited by KenFougere; 07-10-2015, 06:12 PM.
    Ken Fougère

Comment

• Originally posted by KenFougere View Post
      I doubt he could throw faster, but I can guarantee his mouth is twice that . . .
      I hope Buchholz's elbow injury doesn't mean we give up a key player for a starter.

What about Jake Peavy? He has no wins so the price is right. How about trading Napoli and Ortiz for Pineda?
      "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
      "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

• Need Hamels & Pineda!

Originally posted by TonyK View Post
        I hope Buchholz's elbow injury doesn't mean we give up a key player for a starter.

What about Jake Peavy? He has no wins so the price is right. How about trading Napoli and Ortiz for Pineda?
        You know him. Just like the last couple years. Buchholz pitches well the 1st half, then he goes on vacation. -
        Ortiz has made it clear that he will finish his career in Boston.
        Ken Fougère

Comment

Originally posted by KenFougere View Post
          You know him. Just like the last couple years. Buchholz pitches well the 1st half, then he goes on vacation. -
          Ortiz has made it clear that he will finish his career in Boston.
          And Pineda isn't available for trade. Upside is too high for that. Plus, they'd never send him to Boston.

Update: The season series is currently at 5 - 2
          WORLD CHAMPIONS!

1923 • 1927 • 1928 • 1932 • 1936 • 1937 • 1938 • 1939 • 1941 • 1943

1947 • 1949 • 1950 • 1951 • 1952 • 1953 • 1956 • 1958 • 1961 • 1962

1977 • 1978 • 1996 • 1998 • 1999 • 2000 • 2009

Comment

• Originally posted by YankeeMan View Post
            And Pineda isn't available for trade. Upside is too high for that. Plus, they'd never send him to Boston.

"It's 5 and 2 so the Bosox R Dew!. See what I did there?

Ok. We'll take Tanaka instead of Pineda. We'll throw in Allen Craig and Jackie Bradley Jr. too as they hit like Stephen Drew. Return a favor to us for letting you have Ellsbury and Miller without even raising an eyebrow.

Analyzing Clay Buchholz's career tells me he is not a workhorse...in 8 out of his last 10 starts before last night, he pitched 7 innings or more. He was up to 113 IP already and had never topped 190 IP in his entire career. Back in 2013, Jon Lester was concerned because he was on pace to exceed 200 IP before the playoffs and felt he needed rest and they gave it to him.

So Coach Yankeeman, did the new pitching coach and the mgr overuse him, or was this going to happen anyway? I'm asking this because of what happened to Tanaka last year. The better he pitched, the longer they left him out there. He seemed indestructible up until he had arm problems. Is it worth it to take a risk of burning up your ace or should you micromanage his season?

Comment

BTW, shouldn't you be in hibernation or somewhere, anywhere but, here?
              This season you make these cameo appearances at very inconvenient times, (At least for me!) -
              Ken Fougère

Comment

"It's 5 and 2 so the Bosox R Dew!. See what I did there?

Ok. We'll take Tanaka instead of Pineda. We'll throw in Allen Craig and Jackie Bradley Jr. too as they hit like Stephen Drew. Return a favor to us for letting you have Ellsbury and Miller without even raising an eyebrow.

Analyzing Clay Buchholz's career tells me he is not a workhorse...in 8 out of his last 10 starts before last night, he pitched 7 innings or more. He was up to 113 IP already and had never topped 190 IP in his entire career. Back in 2013, Jon Lester was concerned because he was on pace to exceed 200 IP before the playoffs and felt he needed rest and they gave it to him.

So Coach Yankeeman, did the new pitching coach and the mgr overuse him, or was this going to happen anyway? I'm asking this because of what happened to Tanaka last year. The better he pitched, the longer they left him out there. He seemed indestructible up until he had arm problems. Is it worth it to take a risk of burning up your ace or should you micromanage his season?
                Regardless, the fact it happened to this particular pitcher served as a reminder of two truths that already were self-evident: a) Buchholz is either too delicate or unlucky to ever be an ace, and b) the Red Sox don’t have nearly enough pitching to be considered a serious playoff contender.

Indeed, Buchholz has been nothing less than one of the majors’ best pitchers since the beginning of May, posting a 2.54 ERA in his last 10 starts entering last night and stringing together the kind of outings that tantalize everyone into believing he’s a genuine top-of-the-rotation pitcher. Buchholz had one of those runs in 2010. And who can forget his first 12 starts of 2013 when he went 9-0 with a 1.71 ERA?

When he pitches like that, it’s perfectly reasonable for the Red Sox to believe they have an ace.

But Buchholz also has been relegated to the disabled list in each of the past five seasons. He has never made 30 starts, never logged 200 innings, never been reliable enough to lead a rotation for an entire season. Now, for the first time in his injury-ravaged career, he’s dealing with discomfort in his elbow.

Gulp.

Other than an Alex Rodriguez homer in the first inning, Buchholz was generally cruising when he returned to the mound for the fourth. He wasn’t showing signs of anything being wrong, his fastball reaching its normal 93-94 mph velocity, his cutter exhibiting its usual bite, his changeup and curveball doing their thing.

Buchholz gave up a leadoff single to Brian McCann, struck out Garrett Jones on three pitches, then yielded a double to Didi Gregorius. He threw a first-pitch curveball that Drew fouled off, then unleashed an 84-mph cutter that Leon noted was softer than the usual 88-89 mph pitch that he threw the previous inning.

That’s when Buchholz called Leon to the mound.
                Ken Fougère

Comment

• Clay Buchholz did the right thing rather than trying to push through the pain and lack of velocity. So he is out until August or September which might as well be the rest of the season. How does Rookie, Rookie, Masterson, Porcello, and Miley sound to you? If they are going to do anything in the second half it will be because of hitting. I say hold tight until Free Agent signings in the winter.

You can never have too much pitching.

Comment

• 3 AND 5 AND VERY MUCH ALIVE! Keep Your Sox On!

Comment

• Farrell chose not to use either Tazawa and Uihara yesterday in the late innings and the bullpen gave up 2 big runs. Gerardi went with his stoppers and they held the Red Sox in check until the 9th inning. Tazawa had pitched just once in the previous four days. Was Farrell managing too conservatively and didn't he realize the importance of this game?

So the Yankees proved once again that they have a better ballclub. I anticipate they will add one or two players soon as will other AL East contenders. The ML Draft seems to be working since teams are still bunched up at the All Star Break.

Comment

Your Yanks have actually lost games to our horrible Bosox team?!!?!?
                        You should be ashamed!!!
                        ;^)

I should be more upset about the Bosox sucking, but so many championships IN THIS MILLENIUM have apparently made me complacent... ;^)
                        Last edited by Dude Paskert; 07-15-2015, 11:58 AM. Reason: champships??? I blame the crack...
                        "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

3 AND 5 AND VERY MUCH ALIVE! Keep Your Sox On!

Correction: 6 - 3 -- Time to wash your Sox! :clown:
                          WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Correction: 6 - 3 -- Time to wash your Sox! :clown:
                            Sniff..sniff!

Comment

• 22 days, 9 hours, and 9 minutes until Red Sox @ Yankees!

Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
                              ... I should be more upset about the Bosox sucking, but so many champships IN THIS MILLENIUM have apparently made me complacent... ;^)
                              So, how many championships did that take? Three? Wow. I've watched the Yankees win three championships in three years. And SEVEN in my lifetime (most in MLB over that span). I still want more.

Oh, and this Yankee team isn't very good. They may take the AL Least but I doubt they go much further.

I'll be back for my next "cameo" in about three weeks... [Hiya Ken! ]

Break.png
                              WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Comment

[SIZE=4][COLOR="#000080"]So, how many championships did that take? Three? Wow. I've watched the Yankees win three championships in three years. And SEVEN in my lifetime (most in MLB over that span). I still want more.
                                I had already watched the Celtics win 10 NBA Championships before I even graduated from High School. You have no idea what that was like. I'm not sure why Yankees fans keep bringing up vintage baseball history before their time whenever the discussion turns to current championships.
                                Last edited by TonyK; 07-13-2015, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X