X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Re: Re: SOMETHING TO TAKE HOME FROM LAST NIGHTS GAME

Originally posted by bigtime39
    My point got missed, but that's not much of a surprise, so let me try again:
    The team with the highest payroll in the history of baseball...the team with the most wins in the AL...needed a freak play miracle to BARELY squeek by a team of kids and castoffs making less than your DH...not to mention that they got wasted by the Royals last week.
    I don't really care that we're going to finish fourth again THIS YEAR...that trend is coming to it's conclusion. Important structural changes have been made in the O's front office, and as long as we don't do something REALLY STUPID, like fire Hargrove, this is a team on the rise.
    The Cash Machine, on the other hand is going to be sorely lacking in the one attribute money has trouble buying: young, quality pitchers.
    The rotation is 150 years old. The bullpen is among the worst in the AL (save for Rivera)...the owner is still a meddelsome windbag...the crows are on their way home...and it'll be an extreme pleasure to see them roost.
    Not just here, but in Boston, Toronto and even Tampa
    I suggest you realize my main point was that had your team been able to win quite a few more, instead of just being some spoiler team, you'd have gone through ugly wins also. In order to win 90-100 games a season, there's no way that all those 90-100 games are pretty wons. You'll have to endure a few 10-9 games, not just 12-3 games. Some games, you'll get spanked hard by pitchers with ERAs about 7.

If you're on a losing team, then that losing becomes almost commonplace. On a winning team, you struggle, and you somehow win. Last night's game was an example of this, where nothing goes right, but you somehow win 1 run games. The more of those 1 or 2 run games you win, the better of a contender you are.

As to the Royals, fine, we lost. At least we're not losing this series to Baltimore, so if next season will be better, I'll believe it when I see it, but not a second before. I guess Sidney Ponson didn't really think the O's were going to get any better, and guess who's starting for us right now?

I would think that any fan's team would rather have those ugly wins, and quite a few of them, than just plain losing. If not, then would they prefer to have a losing team knowing that those wins that were ugly? I'd take the ugly losses, so long as we win, payroll not being an issue. If payroll were an issue, we've lost series to Tampa Bay at Yankee Stadium before, so I can't see how we're supposed to win every single series against every single team. Try worrying more about your own team sometime, since they're mired in 4th place, *as expected*.

Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammerin Hank
      With their payroll don't you think after their rotation retires they'll buy some new pitchers? They'll go after the best ones in the game because they can. They've done it before. In a few years their rotation could have Prior, Beurhle, Mulder, Oswalt, and Morris.

The good news is that it's going to be a while before that group hits free agency. The Cash Machine is going to need pitching YESTERDAY.
      4 5 (7) 8 20 22 33 42 (44)

Comment

With their payroll don't you think after their rotation retires they'll buy some new pitchers? They'll go after the best ones in the game because they can. They've done it before. In a few years their rotation could have Prior, Beurhle, Mulder, Oswalt, and Morris.
        I expect our 2004 rotation to include:

Mussina (he's already signed)
        Pettitte
        Contreras (also signed)
        Leiber (if he works out, as he's coming off TJ surgery I think)

Other than this, I wouldn't consider Mulder, since the A's are highly unlikely to get rid of anybody. If so, we'd definitely make a run for him. If Millwood is available, hasn't been re-signed by Philly, they may make a run for him.

Prior I wouldn't expect to be available. What's his availability, as well as that of Oswalt and Morris?
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Originally posted by bigtime39
          The good news is that it's going to be a while before that group hits free agency. The Cash Machine is going to need pitching YESTERDAY.
          And I'm quite sure that YESTERDAY, your pitching could get you above 4th place? No Sidney Ponson, tell me who's going to do that for you. Please do.

Comment

• My Promise to all Red Sox Fans: You will not win today.

Comment

• Burkett vs. Garcia....quite a premiere matchup.
              2016 World Series Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by tearforamariner
                My Promise to all Red Sox Fans: You will not win today.
                I promise to wear your av all tonight if you get a win. Hold up, I'm already wearing your av, so what the heck?

Comment

Burkett vs. Garcia....quite a premiere matchup.
                  It's one of those games you wonder if you'll have two losers.

Comment

Burkett vs. Garcia....quite a premiere matchup.
                    Garcia gave up one run against the Blue Jays in his last start and out-duelled Halladay. What was that you were saying?

Comment

• will your missions win today.
                      International League Fourm and Pacific Coast League Fourm Triple A Baseball

"The dumber a pitcher is, the better. When he gets smart and begins to experiment with a lot of different pitches, he's in trouble. All I ever had was a fastball, a curve and a changeup and I did pretty good."
                      Dizzy Dean.

9 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!

19261931193419421944 1946196419671982

Comment

• Originally posted by drillerman
                        will your missions win today.
                        I haven't had a chance to respond to your PM yet, but yes, I do know who the M's AA club is. The San Antonio Missions, who play in the same league as your beloved Drillers.

Comment

• April 1: allows 5 runs in 4.2 IP
                          April 11: allows 4 runs in 5 IP
                          May 8: allows 9 runs in 2.2 IP
                          May 14: allows 7 runs in 6 IP
                          May 21: allows 7 runs in 7 IP
                          July 4: allows 7 runs in 6.1 IP
                          July 17: allows 6 runs in 5 IP
                          July 22: allows 7 runs in 2.2 IP
                          July 27: allows 6 runs in 5.2 IP
                          August 1: allows 7 runs in 1.1 IP

May ERA: 7.22 in 28.2 IP
                          July ERA: 9.45 in 26.2 IP
                          August ERA: 6.28 in 14.1 IP

What were you saying??

Comment

April 1: allows 5 runs in 4.2 IP
                            April 11: allows 4 runs in 5 IP
                            May 8: allows 9 runs in 2.2 IP
                            May 14: allows 7 runs in 6 IP
                            May 21: allows 7 runs in 7 IP
                            July 4: allows 7 runs in 6.1 IP
                            July 17: allows 6 runs in 5 IP
                            July 22: allows 7 runs in 2.2 IP
                            July 27: allows 6 runs in 5.2 IP
                            August 1: allows 7 runs in 1.1 IP

May ERA: 7.22 in 28.2 IP
                            July ERA: 9.45 in 26.2 IP
                            August ERA: 6.28 in 14.1 IP

What were you saying??
                            I notice you left off his last two starts. He's back.

Comment

• Two starts?!?! You can't be serious. Obviously I left out a lot of starts. And after having two average starts he goes back to pitching craptacular every time.

Comment

• BTW, he's had a total of THREE starts this month and his August ERA is still 6.28.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X