X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: $$$

Originally posted by Mattingly
    For Ichiro, he was already signed to a contract in Japan, so he wasn't an FA, as used in the USA. Since he was in a contract, his bidding fee was $13m just to negotiate. At least that's when Seattle paid, in some auction type of bidding war, from what I remember.

Yes, the eventual $5m+ fee is a steal, but after having lost out on Hideki Irabu, the pitcher, I guess George wasn't truly convinced of how Japanese players - especially position players - would do in the USA. Ichiro is the first Japanese position player who's really considered among the best, and who'd have known that? I guess George didn't want to bid that much. Had he done so, he would've played LF in 2001 (in deference to Paulie O'Neill), and after that, in RF.

For Shiggy, I guess he wasn't really on the radar screen much, since his ERA was a little high (but certainly not ridiculous), but his pitching is awesome from what I'd seen against Boston. If I were Anaheim, I'd rather have him go to a the Yanks than a division rival. As a Yankee fan, him and Nelson in the pen would make an awesome 1-2-3 when Mo is added in. All 3 could close games out.

As to Steinbrenner avoiding players who could've been busts, I dunno. We were outbid for the K-Rod kid from the last playoffs, and he snuck in unscouted. No one can really predict what someone's going to do (like in the Buhn case), and unless I've seen a player, it's hard saying whether someone is worth the risk or not.

Oh, and Shiggy's way underpaid. I think that Mike Stanton was offered $2.5m by Brian Cashman, was insulted and hopped crosstown to the Mets. Had Shiggy done this before (how was he last season?), he would've been a great pickup if signed as a Yankee.
    Last season he was incredible. Not as incredible as he is this season, but incredible. He was a middle reliever, and He went 8-3 in 53 games pitched (no starts). He had a 3.20 ERA, pitching 70.1 innings. He gave up 26 earned runs. He made quite an impression his first season in Seattle. Shiggy is a great pitcher because he can play, and play well, in all pitching positions. He can start games, close games, and anything in between. And he doesn't care what he does, as long as he gets to pitch. He has the greatest attitude I've ever seen.

Comment

• here we go again.
      International League Fourm and Pacific Coast League Fourm Triple A Baseball

"The dumber a pitcher is, the better. When he gets smart and begins to experiment with a lot of different pitches, he's in trouble. All I ever had was a fastball, a curve and a changeup and I did pretty good."
      Dizzy Dean.

9 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!

19261931193419421944 1946196419671982

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: $$$

Originally posted by tearforamariner
        Last season he was incredible. Not as incredible as he is this season, but incredible. He was a middle reliever, and He went 8-3 in 53 games pitched (no starts). He had a 3.20 ERA, pitching 70.1 innings. He gave up 26 earned runs. He made quite an impression his first season in Seattle. Shiggy is a great pitcher because he can play, and play well, in all pitching positions. He can start games, close games, and anything in between. And he doesn't care what he does, as long as he gets to pitch. He has the greatest attitude I've ever seen.
        Great, lemme call George on the phone, so he can steal him away from you guys! Hey, maybe he wants to win a few WS there. (cheap shot at Seattle here)

Anyway, he seems to embody what I consider the ideal reliever. I think it was Bill James who popularized the notion that a closer shouldn't just end the games, as in 8th or 9th innings, but brought in at a time when the game is most on the line. If that's the 5th inning, 2 on, red hot hitters up, your starter's folding, that's the time.

Anyway, most managers would be run out of town if they ever did that (if you read the NY or Boston press, anyway). Still, if Shiggy could come in and out the fires when they're raging the hottest, he'd be awesome.

OK, that's it, I'm getting on the phone with George, and don't be surprised if Shiggy's missing from the pen this weekend. You've already got Benitez, so Nellie's and Shiggy's salary should be about equal to this, so don't complain!
        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: $$$

Great, lemme call George on the phone, so he can steal him away from you guys! Hey, maybe he wants to win a few WS there. (cheap shot at Seattle here)

Anyway, he seems to embody what I consider the ideal reliever. I think it was Bill James who popularized the notion that a closer shouldn't just end the games, as in 8th or 9th innings, but brought in at a time when the game is most on the line. If that's the 5th inning, 2 on, red hot hitters up, your starter's folding, that's the time.

Anyway, most managers would be run out of town if they ever did that (if you read the NY or Boston press, anyway). Still, if Shiggy could come in and out the fires when they're raging the hottest, he'd be awesome.

OK, that's it, I'm getting on the phone with George, and don't be surprised if Shiggy's missing from the pen this weekend. You've already got Benitez, so Nellie's and Shiggy's salary should be about equal to this, so don't complain!
          Yeah, right. You and I both know that Shiggy is "under-payed". But Shiggy doesn't know that. Don't go putting ideas in his head.

Only a fool wouldn't want a reliever like Shiggy, so by that, you aren't a fool Mattingly. This season he has an ERA so low you need a microscope to see it. 0.62??? Is that even a real number???

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: $$$

Yeah, right. You and I both know that Shiggy is "under-payed". But Shiggy doesn't know that. Don't go putting ideas in his head.

Only a fool wouldn't want a reliever like Shiggy, so by that, you aren't a fool Mattingly. This season he has an ERA so low you need a microscope to see it. 0.62??? Is that even a real number???
            That sounds like Mo Rivera's ERA in October.

*Waves $5m contract in front of Shiggy, tells him how much more yen his could earn.*
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: $$$

That sounds like Mo Rivera's ERA in October.

*Waves $5m contract in front of Shiggy, tells him how much more yen his could earn.*
              You know that Shiggy probably has a better grasp of English and American Economics than most Americans right? When he was in Anaheim, he wrote a book showing Japanese Business men how to survive in America.

The sad thing is you could probably get Gillick to trade Shiggy. I want a good GM.

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: $$$

You know that Shiggy probably has a better grasp of English and American Economics than most Americans right? When he was in Anaheim, he wrote a book showing Japanese Business men how to survive in America.

The sad thing is you could probably get Gillick to trade Shiggy. I want a good GM.
                I'm curious as to how Shiggy knows about surviving in America. I mean, he's making much more than the average businessman, so it would be relative easy to survive, wouldn't it? I mean, if you're an entrepreneur, aren't you always looking for new business prospects and opportunities? As a jock, Shiggy's already got his money guaranteed, even if he gets sick, is out for the season.

If Gillick would let Shiggy go, I'll take him, and let the "How could he?" cries go out. He really deserves in the $5m range, as he's a strong setup man. I guess the Yanks pay more than others, since Gagne makes $550,000, which is about the same that Zito makes, whereas Steve Karsay, our setupman on the post-surgery DL, makes $5m.

Man, we've gotta sign some of these guys on the cheap.

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: $$$

I'm curious as to how Shiggy knows about surviving in America. I mean, he's making much more than the average businessman, so it would be relative easy to survive, wouldn't it? I mean, if you're an entrepreneur, aren't you always looking for new business prospects and opportunities? As a jock, Shiggy's already got his money guaranteed, even if he gets sick, is out for the season.

If Gillick would let Shiggy go, I'll take him, and let the "How could he?" cries go out. He really deserves in the $5m range, as he's a strong setup man. I guess the Yanks pay more than others, since Gagne makes $550,000, which is about the same that Zito makes, whereas Steve Karsay, our setupman on the post-surgery DL, makes $5m.

Man, we've gotta sign some of these guys on the cheap.
                  How about this for ya Mattingly: The M's starting rotation, which is considered one of the best in the game this season, makes only about 2 million more than what the Yanks spend on Mussina alone. If you want Freddy, you can have him. You guys shouldn't mind spending 7 million for him.

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: $$$

How about this for ya Mattingly: The M's starting rotation, which is considered one of the best in the game this season, makes only about 2 million more than what the Yanks spend on Mussina alone. If you want Freddy, you can have him. You guys shouldn't mind spending 7 million for him.
                    Teams with smaller payrolls pay less. Mussina's not the only one in that range. Didn't the Dodgers' Kevin Brown set the yardstick deeper with his $105m contract?

I'll take Moose over Freddy anyday, since he's had a more consistent past few seasons. I'd say that Boomer, at 12-4 and about a 4 ERA, is better than Freddy also, and he's got a bad back, is about 39.

Man, can you guys at least beat Boston? Pedro's not out there, win the game.

Comment

• ITS GETTING DEEP IN HERE! BETTER GET MY BOOTS.
                      International League Fourm and Pacific Coast League Fourm Triple A Baseball

"The dumber a pitcher is, the better. When he gets smart and begins to experiment with a lot of different pitches, he's in trouble. All I ever had was a fastball, a curve and a changeup and I did pretty good."
                      Dizzy Dean.

9 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!

19261931193419421944 1946196419671982

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: $$$

Teams with smaller payrolls pay less. Mussina's not the only one in that range. Didn't the Dodgers' Kevin Brown set the yardstick deeper with his $105m contract?

I'll take Moose over Freddy anyday, since he's had a more consistent past few seasons. I'd say that Boomer, at 12-4 and about a 4 ERA, is better than Freddy also, and he's got a bad back, is about 39.

Man, can you guys at least beat Boston? Pedro's not out there, win the game.
                        I think Freddy has a drug problem personally.

Anyway, I know that Mussina isn't the only one. I was using to compare salaries. Now, you said "Teams with smaller payrolls pay less", but the M's have the 5th largest pay roll in baseball. Granted, it's no where near that of the Yankees, Dodgers, or Red Sox, it's still not very small.

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: $$$

I think Freddy has a drug problem personally.

Anyway, I know that Mussina isn't the only one. I was using to compare salaries. Now, you said "Teams with smaller payrolls pay less", but the M's have the 5th largest pay roll in baseball. Granted, it's no where near that of the Yankees, Dodgers, or Red Sox, it's still not very small.
                          It could be lots of things. Has he had drug problems in the past?

Yeah, you'll never get the same out of TB than you would out of the others. Anaheim's was half of the Yanks' last season, and Oakland was half of Anaheim's, and they all contended.

Anyway, please win the game. I've gotta go for tonight. See ya!

Comment

• Boo-hoo beantown!

I do believe something must be done about baseball's finances. But it must cut both ways:

Read Fair Ball by Bob Costas -- that's the plan I support.

Further, my contention is the BoSux have the money but the owner would rather have it in his pocket than on the field.

Kinda like Harry Frazee.
                            WORLD CHAMPIONS!

1923 • 1927 • 1928 • 1932 • 1936 • 1937 • 1938 • 1939 • 1941 • 1943

1947 • 1949 • 1950 • 1951 • 1952 • 1953 • 1956 • 1958 • 1961 • 1962

1977 • 1978 • 1996 • 1998 • 1999 • 2000 • 2009

Comment

• The M's might have lost tonight, but it was for a good cause. Boston pulls dead even with Oakland in the WC race, and pulls within 6 games of New York for the East Division Title. Is New York getting a taste of what the Orioles can do?

Comment

• Originally posted by tearforamariner
                                How can you mis-spell Ichiro?
                                How ironic it is when the word "mis-spell" is misspelled.
                                2016 World Series Champions

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X