X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rotflmao
    International League Fourm and Pacific Coast League Fourm Triple A Baseball

"The dumber a pitcher is, the better. When he gets smart and begins to experiment with a lot of different pitches, he's in trouble. All I ever had was a fastball, a curve and a changeup and I did pretty good."
    Dizzy Dean.

9 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!

19261931193419421944 1946196419671982

Comment

• ESPN.com: Baseball

Friday, August 22, 2003
      Boss puts aside rivalry with Red Sox

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Associated Press

BOSTON -- New York Yankees owner George Steinbrenner set aside his rivalry with the Red Sox on Friday to make a $10,000 donation to the Jimmy Fund, the longtime Boston charity that works with children with cancer.

"I certainly like the Jimmy Fund and all it stands for," Steinbrenner said in a phone call to WEEI-AM, which held an all-day radiothon that had raised $1Million by 12:00am.

Celtics owner Wyc Grousbeck pledged $50,000. Baseball commissioner Bud Selig also called in, pledging $20,000. Red Sox manager Grady Little chipped in $3,000.

The second annual Jimmy Fund radiothon began with a $150-per-person "Breakfast with the Bosses," which was attended by the owners of all four Boston sports teams. Red Sox players Tim Wakefield, Johnny Damon and Scott Sauerbeck were the guests at a $200 lunch; cocktails with old-timers such as Luis Tiant and John Havlicek were $250.

Wakefield, who lost a grandfather and grandmother to cancer, said the donation from Steinbrenner initially surprised him.

"I think it's a wonderful thing that George would actually go out of his way to support an organization with such a rivalry," he said.

Tiant, a retired Red Sox pitcher, lost his father to cancer in 1976. He said the Jimmy Fund is a way to reach out to children who also suffer.

"It's not easy," he said. "You suffer a lot. It's a sickness that's very bad."

Steinbrenner and Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein were in positive spirits to celebrate the fund despite the historic rivalry between their teams.

The Yankees' boss made his donation in honor of Ken Coleman, the longtime Red Sox announcer who died Thursday at age 78. The two were once neighbors in Ohio before they moved to the East Coast.

Steinbrenner, who had just learned of Coleman's death on Friday, called the late announcer a "prince of a fellow."

A funeral service will be held for him Monday morning in Plymouth, Mass. His family has requested that donations be made to the Jimmy Fund.

The Jimmy Fund was established in 1948 to support cancer research at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. It has been the primary charity for the Red Sox since 1953, maintaining a close tie with players from Ted Williams to Trot Nixon.

The fund raised $37.8 million in 2003.
      Last edited by KenFougere; 03-30-2006, 08:12 PM.
      Ken Fougère

Comment

• Ken, I see that you've reprinted the article I'd posted in the BoSox forum. I was wondering whether to post it here (Current Events) or not. If here, I would've posted it as a separate article, but I guess it makes more sense to post in this thread.

Oh well, welcome back as a BoSux fan, and when your team chokes in another 2-3 weeks, I can rag on you. It's always nice to have another victim (errrr, BoSox fan) to tolerate my smack!
        :gt

TFAM, George will always get his man, and yes, price will surely be no object this time! BTW, one good sig deserves another.
        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• news flash

wow.
          jeff suppan actually won a game.

and mulder could be out for the year

go sox!

Comment

• Re: news flash

Originally posted by RedSoxFanAtic
            wow.
            jeff suppan actually won a game.

and mulder could be out for the year

go sox!
            Well, would ya mind making up your mind? Are you "in" or are you "out"? Ahhhh, I thought you'd given up on 2003.
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Kim can't do the job, it's as simple as that.

Williamson should be moved up to closer ASAP!!!
              Ken Fougère

Comment

• Originally posted by KenFougere
                Kim can't do the job, it's as simple as that.
                Well I could have told you that.

Buck up Ken, it is Ron Guidry day. Ahh what a great season 1978 was, wouldn't you say?
                Last edited by BC498; 08-23-2003, 02:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BC498
                  Well I could have told you that.

Buck up Ken, it is Ron Guidry day. Ahh what a great season 1978 was, wouldn't you say?
                  Do you hang out with YankeeMan much?
                  Ken Fougère

Comment

• You guys just got lucky. Melvin was ejected. Other wise, We would've gotten Shiggy with it in the 10th.

Comment

• I guess I don't get out much...

Originally posted by tearforamariner
                      You guys just got lucky. Melvin was ejected. Other wise, We would've gotten Shiggy with it in the 10th.
                      Will somebody please tell me what the hell a 'Shiggy' is?
                      Ken Fougère

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
                        Ken, I see that you've reprinted the article I'd posted in the BoSox forum. I was wondering whether to post it here (Current Events) or not. If here, I would've posted it as a separate article, but I guess it makes more sense to post in this thread.
                        Sorry, I didn't even think to look to see if it was already posted...
                        Ken Fougère

Comment

• Kevin Millar hit a game-winning double off the glove of leaping center fielder Mike Cameron with two outs in the 10th inning, sending the Boston Red Sox over the Seattle Mariners 7-6 Saturday.

Boston won its third in a row and sent the AL West-leading Mariners to their season-high fourth straight loss and a change of team colors for TFA Mariner this week looks likely...

Flashback:
                          July 4th Fireworks at Yankee Stadium . . .
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by KenFougere; 08-23-2003, 10:30 PM.
                          Ken Fougère

Comment

• Re: I guess I don't get out much...

Originally posted by KenFougere
                            Will somebody please tell me what the hell a 'Shiggy' is?
                            Shigetoshi Hasegawa. Perhaps the best closer in the AL this season. His save record is 13/13, with an ERA of 0.76. His WHIP is 0.94 and his BAA is .215. That's after 59.1 IP.

Comment

• Originally posted by KenFougere
                              Do you hang out with YankeeMan much?
                              Don't be silly. If it gets close, Goose and Bucky *bleeping* Dent will also get their days. Who better to show up to give Beantown good luck?

Hey, Mookie and Buckner are still around, even if my highly *reliable* friend (and I don't mean Tommy Henreich) isn't.

Comment

• Just got back...

From my "summer home." Pic added 'cause Ken (and other BoSux fans) like lots o' pictures....

And it's one of Ken's favorite places!
                                Attached Files
                                WORLD CHAMPIONS!

1923 • 1927 • 1928 • 1932 • 1936 • 1937 • 1938 • 1939 • 1941 • 1943

1947 • 1949 • 1950 • 1951 • 1952 • 1953 • 1956 • 1958 • 1961 • 1962

1977 • 1978 • 1996 • 1998 • 1999 • 2000 • 2009

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X