Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Bitter Rivals Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Chisox73
    Hey Ken,

    Would you have waved the runner home in the bottom of the 9th?

    I would have in that situation.The Red Sox just beat us tonight,nothing to pick apart here.Just a real good game.
    Well, he was out by 2-3 steps. 9th inning with less than two outs, you send him if your sure. The 3rd base coach killed it right there. Should of been 2nd & 3rd with one out.
    The play wasn't even close.
    Should of been held up at third...
    Ken Fougère

    Comment


    • Originally posted by KenFougere
      Well, he was out by 2-3 steps. 9th inning with less than two outs, you send him if your sure. The 3rd base coach killed it right there. Should of been 2nd & 3rd with one out.
      The play wasn't even close.
      Should of been held up at third...
      I agree. Really bad move. Stay at third and a deep fly ball wins the game.
      WORLD CHAMPIONS!

      1923 • 1927 • 1928 • 1932 • 1936 • 1937 • 1938 • 1939 • 1941 • 1943

      1947 • 1949 • 1950 • 1951 • 1952 • 1953 • 1956 • 1958 • 1961 • 1962


      1977 • 1978 • 1996 • 1998 • 1999 • 2000 • 2009

      Comment


      • Strange...isn't it?

        Originally posted by YankeeMan
        The Toronto Blue Jays have changed thier logo for next year... Here's a sneak peek for 2004:

        Do you believe in superstition?

        NAH... Probably just coincidence?
        Ya, that's ... it, yup.
        Ken Fougère

        Comment


        • You DON'T pinch run for your best hitter in a tie game in the bottom of the ninth inning. Torre does it with Giambi and it was done tonight and cost the White Sox the game.

          If Thomas were on first, and he seemed wild and upset when he was taken out and he went down the runway, not even bothering to watch the rest of the game, he NEVER would have been sent home on the hit. It would have been second and third with one out.

          How about, in that situation, a SQUEEZE play? Under those conditions, with the winning run on third, you MIGHT pinch run for Thomas, but it really doesn't matter because if you squeeze it is a suicide play and if the ball is bunted safely, even Thomas would be able to score.

          The fact that the runner was out by thirty feet indicates what a bad play it was, and anyone watching could see as the play was unfolding that a decent defensive sequence would get the runner by a lot. And it did.
          Baseball articles you might not like but should read.

          Comment


          • Excuse me...Do you have the Yankees number? Oh that's right, Toronto's GOT IT!



            • That's Two! Can you make it Three? {Again?}

              {Broom-Broom-Broom!}
            Ken Fougère

            Comment


            • Originally posted by LouGehrig
              You DON'T pinch run for your best hitter in a tie game in the bottom of the ninth inning. Torre does it with Giambi and it was done tonight and cost the White Sox the game.

              If Thomas were on first, and he seemed wild and upset when he was taken out and he went down the runway, not even bothering to watch the rest of the game, he NEVER would have been sent home on the hit. It would have been second and third with one out.

              How about, in that situation, a SQUEEZE play? Under those conditions, with the winning run on third, you MIGHT pinch run for Thomas, but it really doesn't matter because if you squeeze it is a suicide play and if the ball is bunted safely, even Thomas would be able to score.

              The fact that the runner was out by thirty feet indicates what a bad play it was, and anyone watching could see as the play was unfolding that a decent defensive sequence would get the runner by a lot. And it did.
              What does running have to do with hitting? Frank Thomas, at 6-5, 275, is probably the only MLB player larger than David Ortiz, who's an inch shorter and about 10 lbs lighter. Now, if he gets a single in the bottom of the 9th, why *wouldn't* you pinch run for him? Every team has a bench, and the guy running for Thomas was 210 lbs, ran very quickly.

              It's the speedy utility guys who burn the rubber. The Yanks use Enrique Wilson for that, and Boston uses Damian Jackson, just as they'd used Rickey two seasons ago. That's what they're there for, to turn "runners on 1st and 2nd" to "runners on 1st and 3rd" and score even on the sac fly to LF or CF.

              As to Thomas never being sent home, you think a guy that big would even have a likely chance to score? Like others, I'd fault the 3B coach for sending the runner, since despite the LF's slow throw, Nomar has a gun and is an excellent cutoff man. Not a wise idea testing his arm, to me.

              Had the 3B coach not waved the windmill, he would've only had 1 out, 2 RISP, and a sac fly, squeeze play or single would've won the game. Of course, a bunt would've needed to have been well placed, since a "popup" bunt wouldn't have scored anyone, and it would've needed to have been hit where a play at home would've been nearly impossible. A GIDP would've killed that rally also.
              Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
              THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
              Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

              Comment


              • 21 + 11

                So how many games do the Red Sox have to win this weekend to make it a race in the AL East?
                WORLD CHAMPIONS!

                1923 • 1927 • 1928 • 1932 • 1936 • 1937 • 1938 • 1939 • 1941 • 1943

                1947 • 1949 • 1950 • 1951 • 1952 • 1953 • 1956 • 1958 • 1961 • 1962


                1977 • 1978 • 1996 • 1998 • 1999 • 2000 • 2009

                Comment


                • We are only 3.5 GB.

                  Comment


                  • I say the Red Sox have to win at least one game -- leaving Da' Bronx no more than 4.5 GB. If Boston gets swept, they'll be 6.5 games out and that's a lot of games to make up considering how much season is left.

                    That said, I'm sure the Boston media is thinking they gotta' take at least 2 of 3.
                    WORLD CHAMPIONS!

                    1923 • 1927 • 1928 • 1932 • 1936 • 1937 • 1938 • 1939 • 1941 • 1943

                    1947 • 1949 • 1950 • 1951 • 1952 • 1953 • 1956 • 1958 • 1961 • 1962


                    1977 • 1978 • 1996 • 1998 • 1999 • 2000 • 2009

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by BoSox Rule
                      We are only 3.5 GB.
                      That's right. It's not like you're 14.5 games out or anything. Or was that 25 years ago?
                      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Mattingly
                        That's right. It's not like you're 14.5 games out or anything. Or was that 25 years ago?
                        The Yankees were only* 6.5 games out on September 2, 1978.

                        *It is also the largest deficit overcome to win a division.
                        WORLD CHAMPIONS!

                        1923 • 1927 • 1928 • 1932 • 1936 • 1937 • 1938 • 1939 • 1941 • 1943

                        1947 • 1949 • 1950 • 1951 • 1952 • 1953 • 1956 • 1958 • 1961 • 1962


                        1977 • 1978 • 1996 • 1998 • 1999 • 2000 • 2009

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by YankeeMan
                          The Yankees were only* 6.5 games out on September 2, 1978.

                          *It is also the largest deficit overcome to win a division.
                          Not by much. The 1995 M's overcame a 6 game deficit in September, and a double digit deficit going back to July.

                          Comment


                          • NY CLASS. Let's try this again... Repeat after me...

                            Originally posted by Mattingly
                            That's right. It's not like you're 14.5 games out or anything. Or was that 25 years ago?

                            2 words / 2 syl•la•bles each word. READY?
                            [list=1][*] Cur•rent
                            [*] E•vents[/list=1]

                            Practice, Practice & Practice some more!
                            Ken Fougère

                            Comment


                            • What was that noise?

                              Originally posted by KenFougere

                              2 words / 2 syl•la•bles each word. READY?
                              [list=1][*] Cur•rent
                              [*] E•vents[/list=1]

                              Practice, Practice & Practice some more!
                              Did you guys here something?
                              WORLD CHAMPIONS!

                              1923 • 1927 • 1928 • 1932 • 1936 • 1937 • 1938 • 1939 • 1941 • 1943

                              1947 • 1949 • 1950 • 1951 • 1952 • 1953 • 1956 • 1958 • 1961 • 1962


                              1977 • 1978 • 1996 • 1998 • 1999 • 2000 • 2009

                              Comment


                              • Re: What was that noise?

                                Originally posted by YankeeMan
                                Did you guys here something?
                                Swing & miss, perhaps?
                                Attached Files
                                Ken Fougère

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X