Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mattingly
    I can't fathom a payroll so obscenely high
    I bet they would say the same thing about today's payrolls.
    2016 World Series Champions

Comment

Yeah...

In 2015, when inflation will dictate the dollar bill as the lowest form of currency...

Hey, ya never know...
      http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploa...-showalter.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Hammerin Hank
        I bet they would say the same thing about today's payrolls.
        Had you not removed the parenthetical directly following my partial quote you'd used, you may have noticed I'd already acknowledged the payroll was currently pretty high. Being more complete in your quotes may provide better context of what people are trying to say, if you think about it.

That said, if the players' salaries' don't increase from today's standards, I don't see the payroll escalating beyond today's at the rate you project.

To look at it in pure "per player" scenario, if you divide $187.5m (on the high end of what today's payroll is), you'd *AVERAGE* $7.5m/player out of 25 men. If you had $1b, that would require $40m/player out of 25 men.

Now then, in 11 years, would you mind naming who will be the $40m *MEN* playing for the Yankees? This also indicates that not only will this not be the highest-paid Yankee, but merely the *AVERAGE* of what 25 Yankee players will make in 2015. This would indicate that the highest-paid Yankee player would make at least $60-70m/yr.

Currently, the highest-paid Yankee, Alex Rodriguez (based upon total salary averaging $25.2m/yr), makes >3x the Yankee average of <$7.5m/yr. Do you believe that in 2015, a single Yankee ballplayer will make 3x what the *AVERAGE* Yankee player would make in 2015 ($40m/yr)? Do you honestly believe this will actually happen?

Please demonstrate likelihood of this occurrence becoming reality. If not, then I consider all logic resulting upon this presumption to be greatly flawed, especially if player salaries don't increase at the same rate that they have in the past decade.
        Last edited by Mattingly; 05-12-2004, 06:04 AM.
        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

I actually see the Yankees payroll declining (adjusted for inflation) over the next decade. The Yanks will remain #1 in payroll, but the disparity won't be so great. In the era of 8 playoff teams, money can't guarantee a ring by any stretch. They key is spending enough money to have an excellent team and having a good chance at making the playoffs. You don't need $200M for that.
          BOSTON RED SOX WORLD CHAMPIONS 19031912191519161918 20042007

Comment

They haven't yet?

.....oh sometime around the trading deadline.

Comment

Originally posted by mikey_s
              They haven't yet?

.....oh sometime around the trading deadline.
              Don't worry, George will have Beltran, Torii *AND* Andruw in CF, then Vidro *AND* Boone at 2B. It'll happen right now and before July 31st, too!
              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

Actually when you think about the article you posted he should probably get Benson, Sheets, Johnson, Millwood.... then he could save their arms and let them go 5 innings each start with the other "bums"doing mop up for 3 and Rivera for 1.

Wouldn't need no stinking middle relief.

Comment

2004 Team Payrolls

Here are the payrolls for all teams playing in 2004. The source used is USA Today:

New York Yankees $ 184,193,950
                  Boston Red Sox $ 127,298,500
                  Anaheim Angels $ 100,534,667
                  New York Mets $ 96,660,970
                  Philadelphia Phillies $ 93,219,167
                  Los Angeles Dodgers $ 92,902,001
                  Chicago Cubs $ 90,560,000
                  Atlanta Braves $ 90,182,500
                  St. Louis Cardinals $ 83,228,333
                  San Francisco Giants $ 82,019,166
                  Seattle Mariners $ 81,515,834
                  Houston Astros $ 75,397,000
                  Arizona Diamondbacks $ 69,780,750
                  Colorado Rockies $ 65,445,167
                  Chicago White Sox $ 65,212,500
                  Oakland Athletics $ 59,425,667
                  San Diego Padres $ 55,384,833
                  Texas Rangers $ 55,050,417
                  Minnesota Twins $ 53,585,000
                  Baltimore Orioles $ 51,623,333
                  Toronto Blue Jays $ 50,017,000
                  Kansas City Royals $ 47,609,000
                  Detroit Tigers $ 46,832,000
                  Cincinnati Reds $ 46,615,250
                  Florida Marlins $ 42,143,042
                  Montreal Expos $ 41,197,500
                  Cleveland Indians $ 34,319,300
                  Pittsburgh Pirates $ 32,227,929
                  Tampa Bay Devil Rays $ 29,556,667
                  Milwaukee Brewers $ 27,528,500

The weird thing is I don't feel upset that any team spends the money they think they need to win. They made it (though it came from us), they can spend it. Though I will admit I do like to see the "regular" teams make a run for it against the big dogs. What I do get upset about is that the minimum wage paid a big league ballplayer is more than I'm going to make in five years of work or that a typical small contract exceeds the amount I'll make over the course of my 25-year career. That part makes it a bit tough, but I love the game nonetheless.

Sean

Comment

While we all know the Yankees' payroll isn't going to hit $1 billion, what we DO know is that, with their resources, if they need to go to a quarter billion, this year or any other, THEY CAN, and, as long as George III is in charge, they will if they feel they have to...
                    ...and nobody else can.
                    For as long as that remains true, the rest of the teams are going to have to be very good at fighting fire with water: for every dollar they don't have, they'd better apply an ounce of brainpower, and hope to catch lightning in a bottle.
                    And, yes, the rich will get richer this summer, when Beltran heads to the Vault in the Bronx...
                    ...more's the pity. I'm really amused by the thought of a $180 million team with a 2B playing SS, an SS playing 3B, and a right side of the infield so defensively challenged as to be barely AA caliber.
                    They're built like a rec league softball team: "we can't catch, but we sure can hit!"
                    4 5 (7) 8 20 22 33 42 (44)

Comment

Originally posted by bigtime39
                      While we all know the Yankees' payroll isn't going to hit $1 billion, what we DO know is that, with their resources, if they need to go to a quarter billion, this year or any other, THEY CAN, and, as long as George III is in charge, they will if they feel they have to...
                      ...and nobody else can.
                      For as long as that remains true, the rest of the teams are going to have to be very good at fighting fire with water: for every dollar they don't have, they'd better apply an ounce of brainpower, and hope to catch lightning in a bottle.
                      And, yes, the rich will get richer this summer, when Beltran heads to the Vault in the Bronx...
                      ...more's the pity. I'm really amused by the thought of a $180 million team with a 2B playing SS, an SS playing 3B, and a right side of the infield so defensively challenged as to be barely AA caliber.
                      They're built like a rec league softball team: "we can't catch, but we sure can hit!"
                      Let's see what would happen if *ALL* the most expensive contracts in baseball were assembled under one team, at least in 2004, based upon approximate salary average (including bonus). I'm counting only starters, not the full roster:

LF: Barry Bonds ($20m)
                      CF: Bernie Williams, Andruw Jones (~$12.5m)
                      RF: Sammy Sosa (~$17m)
                      3B: Alex Rodriguez ($25.2m)
                      SS: Derek Jeter ($18.9m)
                      2B: ?
                      1B: Jason Giambi, Carlos Delgado, Jim Thome (~$17m)
                      C: Jorge Posada ($9m)
                      CL: Mariano Rivera ($10.5m)

Who are the most expensive starting pitchers? Pedro makes $17.5m, then I guess that Randy Johnson (~16m), Kevin Brown ($15m), Mussina ($14.5), but I can't figure out who's just below this. Curt Schilling?
                      Last edited by Mattingly; 05-14-2004, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Re: 2004 Team Payrolls

Originally posted by webmaster
                        Here are the payrolls for all teams playing in 2004. The source used is USA Today:

Wow, that's well ahead of the pace I was using. They might make it to a billion sooner than I thought.
                        2016 World Series Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
                          Let's see what would happen if *ALL* the most expensive contracts in baseball were assembled under one team, at least in 2004, based upon approximate salary average (including bonus). I'm counting only starters, not the full roster:

LF: Barry Bonds ($20m)
                          CF: Bernie Williams, Andruw Jones (~$12.5m)
                          RF: Sammy Sosa (~$17m)
                          3B: Alex Rodriguez ($25.2m)
                          SS: Derek Jeter ($18.9m)
                          2B: ?
                          1B: Jason Giambi, Carlos Delgado, Jim Thome (~$17m)
                          C: Jorge Posada ($9m)
                          CL: Mariano Rivera ($10.5m)

Who are the most expensive starting pitchers? Pedro makes $17.5m, then I guess that Randy Johnson (~16m), Kevin Brown ($15m), Mussina ($14.5), but I can't figure out who's just below this. Curt Schilling?
                          Matt:
                          Did you not finish that post? I was waiting for a TOTAL, a LARGE, ROUND figure that somehow added up to more than the current Yankee$ payroll...
                          Seriously, though, was this team chosen specifically to prove that defense means NOTHING?
                          I guess, however, with the way the O's defense has looked for the past week or so, I'd better shut up on that score!

Comment

Re: 2004 Team Payrolls

Originally posted by webmaster

Texas Rangers $ 55,050,417
                            Do these figures count how much the Rangers are paying the richest team in baseball's shortstop, who is playing 3B, so a natural 2B can continue to play shortstop?

Comment

Matt:
                              Did you not finish that post? I was waiting for a TOTAL, a LARGE, ROUND figure that somehow added up to more than the current Yankee$ payroll...
                              Seriously, though, was this team chosen specifically to prove that defense means NOTHING?
                              I guess, however, with the way the O's defense has looked for the past week or so, I'd better shut up on that score!
                              Not quite. I should've added the totals. I chose it merely to see what would happen if a team -- *ANY TEAM* -- were made up exclusively of the most expensive player for each position. Sorry I got lazy in the end, as it got a little busy by me. :o

Here's what I have, from what I think are about the most expensive contracts on a per-year basis. Most are based upon average yearly range, while others, like Unit's, are based upon how much he's making in 2004, as I'm not totally familiar w/how much his contract is for.

Using these 14 players, I did an "@ SUM" in Excel 2002 to get these results.

Code:
                              POS PLAYER                     SALARY
                              LF  Barry Bonds                $20.0
                              CF  A Jones/B Williams         $12.5
                              RF  Sammy Sosa                 $17.0
                              3B  Alex Rodriguez             $25.2
                              SS  Derek Jeter                $18.9
                              2B  Jose Vidro                 $ 9.0
                              1B  J Giambi/C Delgado/J Thome $17.0
                              C   Jorge Posada               $ 9.0
                              SP  Pedro Martinez             $17.5
                              SP  Randy Johnson              $16.5
                              SP  Kevin Brown                $15.0
                              SP  Mike Mussina               $14.5
                              SP  Curt Schilling             $12.0
                              CL  Mariano Rivera             $10.5
                              TOTAL                         $214.6

Comment

Re: Re: 2004 Team Payrolls

Do these figures count how much the Rangers are paying the richest team in baseball's shortstop, who is playing 3B, so a natural 2B can continue to play shortstop?
                                Yes, they do!

*bonks bigtime39 upside the head once!*

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X