Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When the Yankees will reach $1 Billion

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Re: Re: Re: 2004 Team Payrolls

    Originally posted by Mattingly
    Yes, they do!

    *bonks bigtime39 upside the head once!*
    OUCH!
    4 5 (7) 8 20 22 33 42 (44)

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Mattingly
      Not quite. I should've added the totals. I chose it merely to see what would happen if a team -- *ANY TEAM* -- were made up exclusively of the most expensive player for each position. Sorry I got lazy in the end, as it got a little busy by me. :o

      Here's what I have, from what I think are about the most expensive contracts on a per-year basis. Most are based upon average yearly range, while others, like Unit's, are based upon how much he's making in 2004, as I'm not totally familiar w/how much his contract is for.

      Using these 14 players, I did an "@ SUM" in Excel 2002 to get these results.

      Code:
      POS PLAYER                     SALARY
      LF  Barry Bonds                $20.0
      CF  A Jones/B Williams         $12.5
      RF  Sammy Sosa                 $17.0
      3B  Alex Rodriguez             $25.2
      SS  Derek Jeter                $18.9
      2B  Jose Vidro                 $ 9.0
      1B  J Giambi/C Delgado/J Thome $17.0
      C   Jorge Posada               $ 9.0
      SP  Pedro Martinez             $17.5
      SP  Randy Johnson              $16.5
      SP  Kevin Brown                $15.0
      SP  Mike Mussina               $14.5
      SP  Curt Schilling             $12.0
      CL  Mariano Rivera             $10.5
      TOTAL                         $214.6
      Actually make that closer to 300 Million since you are missing 10 guys and given the Yanks propensity to overpay their bench figure another 5-6 Mil per bench guy and PRESTO 300 Mil.

      The sick thing is the Yanks could actually afford that payroll.
      Country:: Kanada

      Comment


      • #33
        Yeah, there's really the thing. Diminishing returns. Once you're paying $20 mill a year to every starting position player, starting pitcher, and your closer... there's only so much more you can do. It doesn't help anybody to have Bonds, Sosa, and Manny in the outfield at almost 20 mill per, and then have Beltran, Pujols, etc., on the bench at 18 mill per. Once the Yanks get massive contracts at every starting position (which they are a center fielder (after Bernie's contract runs out next year), a second baseman, a left fielder, and two starting pitchers away from), there's really no place else to put massive contracts. So I don't think you'll be seeing even a $500 mill payroll any time soon.
        "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

        Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by ElHalo
          Yeah, there's really the thing. Diminishing returns. Once you're paying $20 mill a year to every starting position player, starting pitcher, and your closer... there's only so much more you can do. It doesn't help anybody to have Bonds, Sosa, and Manny in the outfield at almost 20 mill per, and then have Beltran, Pujols, etc., on the bench at 18 mill per. Once the Yanks get massive contracts at every starting position (which they are a center fielder (after Bernie's contract runs out next year), a second baseman, a left fielder, and two starting pitchers away from), there's really no place else to put massive contracts. So I don't think you'll be seeing even a $500 mill payroll any time soon.
          For the most part yes.

          However consider Goegies actions when an injury takes one of the stars away.

          He could easily end up with 5 or 6 "bench"players who were brought in due to an injury at 15 Mil per. Thants another 100.

          But you are right about the diminishing returns.

          To hit a billion it would require 25 guys making 40 mil per.
          500 Mil comes out to 25 guys making 20 Mil. That is not out of the realm of the possible but is unlikely.

          However that 300 Mil mark is in the realm and a 250 is probably in the future.
          Country:: Kanada

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by mikey_s

            However that 300 Mil mark is in the realm and a 250 is probably in the future.
            I wouldn't be at all surprised if the "future" is this year...in fact, when you count revenue sharing and luxury taxes, THE FUTURE IS NOW!

            (Thanks, George Allen!)
            4 5 (7) 8 20 22 33 42 (44)

            Comment


            • #36
              If you're looking for most expensive, Ramirez should be #2 and Mo Vaughn should be #3

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Sandman
                If you're looking for most expensive, Ramirez should be #2 and Mo Vaughn should be #3
                I'd forgotten about them. Manny should be tied with Barry at $20m, and Mo with Giambi, Delgado and Thome at $17m.

                Hey, you think George will have one at home and one for the road of each? That's be some bench with Pujols, Thome and Sosa, huh?
                Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                Comment


                • #38
                  As a rule of thumb, when a team on your baseball video game is less stacked than in real life, something's wrong.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by craig3410
                    As a rule of thumb, when a team on your baseball video game is less stacked than in real life, something's wrong.
                    In that case, get a new video game. There's a new one out. I think it's called "The Evil Empire -- How the Yankees Broke the Hearts of America!"

                    They'll bash, mash, trash, sell out your stadium (all so people can hope to see them lose), then win the series. Coming to a ballpark near you! (bring money!)
                    Last edited by Mattingly; 05-21-2004, 06:54 PM.
                    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      I'd hate to say it but so far the Yankees are right on course for when I said they'd reach a billion. And that was a few years ago too. It's becoming much less a joke about the Yankee payroll and more a reality.
                      2016 World Series Champions

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        I hate to say it, Hank, but the first two years are correct. Right now, I'm hoping that the Yanks leave Beltran to either the Astros, Mets or Cubs. I'm not too sure who they'll go after, and if Giambi were to either be bought out or have his contract voided (snowball's chance in you-know-where of either happening), that would at least make it look slightly less crazy by comparison.

                        Here's to hoping that we can trim a few tens of millions off the 2006 payroll.
                        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Mattingly
                          Here's to hoping that we can trim a few tens of millions off the 2006 payroll.
                          doesn't georgey-boy consider it his duty to far outspend everyone else?
                          "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Can we have Ivan platoon with Posada at homeplate? Pretty please!!! h
                            "Focus on the post, rather than the poster" Mattingly

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by Mattingly
                              I hate to say it, Hank, but the first two years are correct. Right now, I'm hoping that the Yanks leave Beltran to either the Astros, Mets or Cubs. I'm not too sure who they'll go after, and if Giambi were to either be bought out or have his contract voided (snowball's chance in you-know-where of either happening), that would at least make it look slightly less crazy by comparison.

                              Here's to hoping that we can trim a few tens of millions off the 2006 payroll.
                              Someone on ESPN Radio this morning said the Yankees have about reached their limit of what they are willing to spend on players. While that may seem very funny, maybe they are going to start taking a more responsible approach to spending all that YES money.
                              Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                              Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                              Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                              Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                              Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Hammerin Hank
                                When will the Yankees will reach a $1 billion payroll?
                                - {Let me see.} What time is it now? . . .
                                Last edited by KenFougere; 01-12-2005, 11:56 PM.
                                Ken Fougère

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X