X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brownie31
    replied
    Originally posted by tigers527
    And all the Latin Players will demand to be paid in Pesos (the Mexican ones) Just for the currency stability.
    LOL

Brownie31

Leave a comment:

• tigers527
    replied
    Originally posted by J W
    Yeah...

In 2015, when inflation will dictate the dollar bill as the lowest form of currency...

Hey, ya never know...
    And all the Latin Players will demand to be paid in Pesos (the Mexican ones) Just for the currency stability.
    Last edited by tigers527; 02-09-2007, 02:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Old Sweater
    replied
    Originally posted by ChrisLDuncan
    Doesn't this belong in BI? I mean if over/under, buy or sell, and bandwaggoning belong there...then this does too.
    fantasy section.

Leave a comment:

• milladrive
    replied
    Hehe, this is a great thread, HH. I'm actually interested to see how close you were a few years from now.

Leave a comment:

• Hammerin Hank
    replied
    Originally posted by Mattingly
    So just how soon will the $288m payroll take into effect?

Seems cute, but $1b will never happen. I don't see the Yanks getting a crazy number of superstars every single year.

Oh yeah, with the lux tax, the amount they'd spend for each hi-priced player wouldn't pay for itself infinitely.
    The thread was initially intended as some dark humor, but I'm amazed that for the first three years I actually underestimated the payroll.

Leave a comment:

• Hammerin Hank
    replied
    Doesn't this belong in BI? I mean if over/under, buy or sell, and bandwaggoning belong there...then this does too.
    That may be, but in 2003 we didn't have a BI forum. Sorry for the misplacement.

Leave a comment:

• Mattingly
    replied
    Agreed and moved to BI.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisLDuncan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mattingly
    replied
    Originally posted by Hammerin Hank
    Said in 2003, Mattingly. It was a good prediction, wasn't it?
    Originally posted by Hammerin Hank
    My prediction on when the Yankees will reach a $1 billion payroll:

2008 - 340,875,905
    2007 - 288,877,886
    So just how soon will the $288m payroll take into effect?

Seems cute, but $1b will never happen. I don't see the Yanks getting a crazy number of superstars every single year.

Oh yeah, with the lux tax, the amount they'd spend for each hi-priced player wouldn't pay for itself infinitely.

Leave a comment:

• Hammerin Hank
    replied
    I seriously doubt it would increase to $200m in 2005
    Said in 2003, Mattingly. It was a good prediction, wasn't it?

Leave a comment:

• Hammerin Hank
    replied
    For 2006, I was off by $50.2 million from the prediction I made in 2003. Maybe I'll be closer for this year.
    Last edited by Hammerin Hank; 02-08-2007, 03:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by ElHalo
    About Tim Hudson: He's a Free Agent after 2005, which is why Oakland traded him in the first place. I can't imagine that Atlanta would be able to keep up with Steinbrenner in a bidding war for his services.

As to keeping Bernie... where? He can't play CF in 2006. We're already paying Giambi $20 mill a year to DH (unless he plays himself out of the major leagues this year, in which case we'll be paying him $20 mill a year to sit on his sofa). Cashman's already said that playing Bernie at 1B is not an option. We have Matsui and Sheffield at the corner OF positions... and while Matsui moving to CF might work in a pinch, he's really not good enough defensively to be a long term solution there. There's just not a roster spot available for Bernie, unless he'd be willing to take over Ruben Sierra's role as the first guy off the bench (which I hope he will be). But that's not $5 mill a year.
    Isn't Sheffield an option for CF? Shane Spencer or Bubba Crosby perhaps?

Leave a comment:

• ElHalo
    replied
    I figure that Bernie may come back as a DH, and since Brown's contract is untradeable, it all depends upon how well he does. So long as Bernie can hit and run, I don't see this being his final season. Hence the "?" in that thread under the NYY forum about whether this would be his final season.

Pencil in Bernabe for $5m next season, and Brown likely won't hang up his gloves. If Boomer was given a 2-year deal by Boston, and Ancient El Duque Man, a 2-yr deal by the ChiSox, then those social security checks and the pension plan won't exactly be collected anytime soon.

I'm not sure the Braves would part with Tim Hudson anytime soon. They'd be crazy to, unless TWC (their current owners, IIRC) are really pressing for cash.
    About Tim Hudson: He's a Free Agent after 2005, which is why Oakland traded him in the first place. I can't imagine that Atlanta would be able to keep up with Steinbrenner in a bidding war for his services.

As to keeping Bernie... where? He can't play CF in 2006. We're already paying Giambi $20 mill a year to DH (unless he plays himself out of the major leagues this year, in which case we'll be paying him $20 mill a year to sit on his sofa). Cashman's already said that playing Bernie at 1B is not an option. We have Matsui and Sheffield at the corner OF positions... and while Matsui moving to CF might work in a pinch, he's really not good enough defensively to be a long term solution there. There's just not a roster spot available for Bernie, unless he'd be willing to take over Ruben Sierra's role as the first guy off the bench (which I hope he will be). But that's not $5 mill a year.

Leave a comment:

• Mattingly
    replied
    Originally posted by ElHalo
    You're forgetting something.

After the 2005 season, these two contracts come off the books: Bernie Williams ($12.5 mill per), Kevin Brown ($17 mill per). That's $30 million that Steinbrenner gets, without raising payroll a dime, to land a star CF'er (which shouldn't cost that much, since nobody deserving of Vlad Guerrero money is coming up next year) and a starting pitcher (Tim Hudson, I'm guessing).
    I figure that Bernie may come back as a DH, and since Brown's contract is untradeable, it all depends upon how well he does. So long as Bernie can hit and run, I don't see this being his final season. Hence the "?" in that thread under the NYY forum about whether this would be his final season.

Pencil in Bernabe for $5m next season, and Brown likely won't hang up his gloves. If Boomer was given a 2-year deal by Boston, and Ancient El Duque Man, a 2-yr deal by the ChiSox, then those social security checks and the pension plan won't exactly be collected anytime soon.

I'm not sure the Braves would part with Tim Hudson anytime soon. They'd be crazy to, unless TWC (their current owners, IIRC) are really pressing for cash.

With Milwaukee's $223m sale, it all depends upon what they're doing with Sheets. If, like Oakland, they don't think they can re-sign him, as well as Minnesota and Santana, I can see George making a big run for at least one of them.

If Giambi's not very productive, they'd definitely need a slugging 1B. I wouldn't say in the $17m that he, Thome and Delgado have made in the past, but I somehow see them paying $10m for someone who'd made $4m in the past and had a career year (which happens to coincide w/his walk year).

This will be Matsui's 3rd and final year of his contract, and presuming he'll be easily re-signed or given an extension this winter, all depends. He could likely get $9m or more.

Posada won't last forever, so within the next two years, I can see the Yanks looking for a replacement. Whether it's a star or someone very competent depends upon how much the Yanks want. If a star pitcher on the level of Pudge or Varitek (but not necessarily them), that'll be costly.

Decisions, decisions. All of them can be costly.

Leave a comment:

• ElHalo
    replied

Next winter could be seen as an even bigger example of where the Yankee spending is headed. If skimming from the cream of the top-tiered crop of FAs (while ignoring his own crop on the farm), then you're piling on endlessly. If George goes after very productive pitchers, position players on the "B" level, but who are going to give them all of their worth and at a lower cost, I wouldn't mind that.
    You're forgetting something.

After the 2005 season, these two contracts come off the books: Bernie Williams ($12.5 mill per), Kevin Brown ($17 mill per). That's $30 million that Steinbrenner gets, without raising payroll a dime, to land a star CF'er (which shouldn't cost that much, since nobody deserving of Vlad Guerrero money is coming up next year) and a starting pitcher (Tim Hudson, I'm guessing).

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X