Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hudsonharden
    replied
    I've been known to employ the rally cap when necessary...

Leave a comment:

• racosun
    replied
    Wow, is this ever an old thread!?! When I saw it tonight, I thought: "Cool, my old buddy YankeeMan is back!"

Oh well...perhaps one day....:atthepc

Leave a comment:

• third_base_4ever
    replied
    If my team is in the first base dugout, I have to round the bases over to third, tap the base twice with my left cleet, and draw two parallel lines in the dirt. If we're in the 3rd base dugout, I walk to the bag, stand on it, and put some infield dirt into my glove. I do each of these before each inning.

When I bat, I never warm up in the on deck circle. A take a few practice swings near the batters box. I hold my bat on home plate and scan the field, looking for a decent hole. After every pitch, I step out of the box, hit my cleets with the handle of my bat, and repeat my pre-at bat warmups.

When on base, I take six long strides away from the bag. I rock from side to side, ready to dive or take off in either direction. I round the bases as wide as I can, and I always slide head-first. When I hit a homerun, I casually walk around the bases. Once when my coach told me to hustle, I went hitless the next game.

If I ever error or miss a tag, I spit in my glove. Whenever I make a good play, I sprinkle a handful of dirt into my glove.

Leave a comment:

• Steffo
    replied
    racosun, maybe throwing away the season wasn't bad. They just won!!!!!

My ritual was ALWAYS, but the glove on my head while I was in the dugout. I also have a Sammy Sosaish stance so maybe thats a ritual, but anyhow, it didn't work cause I sucked.

Leave a comment:

• racosun
    replied
    Re: What happened?

Originally posted by YankeeMan
    ...where'd your pretty Yankee digs go Racosun? Tisk tisk.
    I chucked 'em in the trash, along with some used toilet paper and the rest of the Tigers season.

Leave a comment:

• YankeeMan
    replied
    What happened?

...where'd your pretty Yankee digs go Racosun? Tisk tisk.

Leave a comment:

• racosun
    replied
    Originally posted by insanefishpossay
    ...soon after I start watching, our pitcher starts giving up homeruns, the players start making errors.
    At this point I figure that they did better when I wasn't watching, so I leave. They usually win when this happens =)
    Maybe you should just check the box score the next day. The Twins might win it all if you quit jinxing them.

Leave a comment:

• insanefishpossay
    replied
    This has happened to me many times, and I guess it's come to be sort of a superstition.

The Twins are on, I have to miss the first few innings, due to one thing or another. I come back to find the twins are doing great, we've hit a couple homers, our pitcher is pitching a gem. I'm glad I got back in time to watch at least most of it.
    However, soon after I start watching, our pitcher starts giving up homeruns, the players start making errors.
    At this point I figure that they did better when I wasn't watching, so I leave. They usually win when this happens =)

Leave a comment:

• MetsFan11368
    replied
    Originally posted by Sandman
    He has the first half of the first inning in Yankee Stadium, maybe 10 seconds of the first inning in Shea Stadium.
    Of course, all bets are off if....

1) The Mets/NYY are playing against each other or
    2) The game goes into extra innings.

One thing I'm not, is a masochist.......

Leave a comment:

• MetsFan11368
    replied
    Originally posted by Hay Fever
    [B]
    I'd just like to say that there isn't enough written on this forum about Bob Murphy, who I consider one of the best baseball announcers in baseball, and certainly a long-time favorite of New York Mets fans.

A Mets game wouldn't be a Mets game without Bob Murphy on the radio (he used to be on T.V., too, of course, and occasionally still does).
    Or anywhere else, for that matter. Maybe the fact that he spends most of his time behind the mike has something to do with it. I loved the old system WOR used to have where Kiner, Nelson and Murphy would rotate between the TV booth and the radio every 3 innings and they'd all get a chance to do a little of both. And last but not least, Kiner's Korner after the game interviewing members of the winning team. It didn't get any better than that!

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    Originally posted by drillerman
    whats the point you make your own bad luck
    If your superstition isn't working, try something different. Turn the cap around, or wear a team shirt instead of a cap. Maybe your lucky cap is really a jinx.

When you believe in things that you don't understand,
    Then you suffer,
    Superstition ain't the way, no, no, no

That's the first song I sang doing karaoke. I couldn't quite get as high as Stevie Wonder did on his scream, though. And the people were just staring at me while I did my Stevie Ray Vaughan guitar solo imitation.

Leave a comment:

• bluezebra
    replied
    No. Knock on wood.

Bob

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I ALWAYS dress left first then right, for example, I always put my left socks on before I put on my right socks. I ALWAYS wear two pairs. Every sport. Every event. Always left before right. For baseball games during the summer, I get my under items on (Sliding shorts, cup, jock) 2 1/2 hours before the game, go out in the yard (living out in the country is an advantage) and stretch my legs. Then I put on my pants, left leg first, mind you, and then my shirt.

As for the game, I always jump over the line. When I am ump to bat and the batter's box is on the other side, I ALWAYS go behind the umpire. I then do my vintage ViƱa batting stance. and that is my superstition.

Leave a comment:

• The Dude
    replied
    I have a couple superstitions. I never put my leg guards on until after all 3 of our outs are recorded. I think it's kinda like already condeming our team. Another, I always sit by our pitcher on the bench so we can talk about the approach for next inning. I don't know if you could that superstition or not.

Leave a comment:

• drillerman
    replied
    whats the point you make your own bad luck

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X