Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nolan_Ryan
    replied
    Well, since I'm 12 and can still perform superstitions, what I normally do is get up real early in the morning so I'm nice and tired. Then, I sleep all the way on the drive to the diamond. When, I wake up I'm rested and ready to play ball. Oh, and I also, when, I play SS throw as many rocks as I can out of the infield and at the outfielders, who normally don't pay attention.

Leave a comment:

• Dodgerfan1
    replied
    Erik,

Some other names you can add to your RIP list, all who died this year:

Craig Kusick
    Moe Drabowski
    Jimmy Delsing
    Curt Gowdy (well, sort of baseball related)
    Eric Gregg
    Billy Hitchcock
    Steve Howe
    Billy Johnson
    Paul Lindblad
    Ivan Murrell
    Kirby Puckett
    Sibby Sisti
    Russ Swan

Leave a comment:

• Erik Bedard
    replied
    I have a few. I would always listen to The Clincher by Chevelle on the way to the game. Then I lost that CD. There goes that superstition. I used to always sit on my glove on the bench (though that probably arose from a glove-stealing game my team used to play when we were nine years old), when there's no fence in front of the bench I stand behind it (not a superstition, just a habit), when we're winning I turn my hat backwards until the ump makes me fix it, when it's a blowout I untuck my shirt, I never wear an undershirt when I pitch, and I never wear blue, red, green, or purple socks. Well, I guess some of those are superstitions.

Leave a comment:

• Murderer's Row
    replied
    I didn't have any, but once I decided to tap my Willie Mays signed baseball-card and my Yogi Berra autographed postcard. We lost, 23-1. I missed a flyball and let a ground ball go through my legs. Our catcher quit in the fifth inning. That put an end to any superstitious thoughts of mine.

Leave a comment:

• hellborn
    replied
    Run to my position with my glove draped over my right hand.
    Try to toss one rock/pebble out of the OF each inning.
    Always wear real baseball pants with (fake) stirrups.
    Slam the bat to the ground with the right hand on popups.

Leave a comment:

• Dodgerfan1
    replied
    Nope. When I was a lad and was a pitcher, I had this one great season where I was 10-0 with two no-hitters, and my mother MADE me drink a glass of V8 juice before every game I pitched. She said it was a lucky charm. Since those days, I've had some success at the high school and college level, as well as a competitive fast-pitch softball league, and it never once dawned on me to credit the socks or underwear I was wearing at the time, the food I ate before the game or any rituals before, during or after the games. I just never even thought about those things. Just went out in whatever gear I was wearing and played hard.

It's fun to read about the superstitions of others, but it never gave me any pause to think about any I may have, because I just don't. I don't know why, because it's obvious so many do. I never bought into the rally cap, the Babushka (with apologies to Bob Prince), voodoo, tarot cards, palmists, numerology, astrology or rabbits' foots. Oh well. Maybe I'm the oddball, and not everyone else!! :noidea
    Last edited by Dodgerfan1; 10-20-2006, 04:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rwolfe09
    replied
    I don't have much but I know the Oliver Perez is superstitious. His long sort of jump over the foul line is pretty funny.

Leave a comment:

• Dalkowski110
    replied
    Whenever I watch a Mets game, although not really a superstition, I stick my Dad's 1962 Mets cap on. He bought it at the Polo Grounds during the first couple weeks of the 1962 season, and while not a "lucky" cap, I wear it just because, I dunno, it makes me feel more like a fan. When I played Babe Ruth League ball, I had a single superstition...I leapt over the foul line as I went to the mound, and I mean Oliver Perez-style leaping. I'd absolutely hurl myself over the foul line. But I more or less did it to look cool (or weird...) than anything else.

Leave a comment:

• RBi
    replied
    Originally posted by third_base_4ever
    If I ever error or miss a tag, I spit in my glove. Whenever I make a good play, I sprinkle a handful of dirt into my glove.
    I like this one alot..

What ever happens, it happened because of your glove.

Leave a comment:

• SoxSon
    replied
    Originally posted by racosun
    Wow, is this ever an old thread!?! When I saw it tonight, I thought: "Cool, my old buddy YankeeMan is back!"

Oh well...perhaps one day....:atthepc

It sure is, racosun...way before the whole Between Innings thing. That being said, it's exactly what the Between Innings forum was made for. Thread moved, now that it's been given a second life.

Leave a comment:

• Williamsburg2599
    replied
    I never put my glove or hat on before stepping OVER the foul line, and always take them off before I step over it on my way back off. I also have, or never will wear a yankee cap , despite many tries from Yankee fans.

Note: Maybe the Between Innings forum would be a better place for this?

Leave a comment:

• Brannu
    replied
    I don't have any superstitions that I observe, HOWEVER, I will probably wear my 1982 Cardinals Jersey today....

Leave a comment:

• west coast orange and black
    replied
    i wear black shoes with orange stripes for friday night games.

Leave a comment:

• redlegsfan21
    replied
    Well, I started keeping track of the standings with all 30 teams' pennants last year and after a Reds win, I don't change it what so ever. Now if the standings did change, the Reds seem to win the next day (See why they had a great April this year). If the standings didn't change, they lose. I always change them after a loss and sometimes they win, but if they don't change, the Reds lose again.

Leave a comment:

• brewcrew82
    replied
    Originally posted by hudsonharden
    I've been known to employ the rally cap when necessary...
    Whilst you were playing or watching? I'm ashamed to admit I have employed the rally cap at home, whislst watching a game on TV.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X