Trying to figure out cricket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to figure out cricket

I saw some videos but I still can't figure out most of cricket. It seems like it's a
    fastpitch version
    of stickball
    with a flat bat
    with the "diamond" in the middle of the field
    and no foul territory
    but lots of fielders near the "catcher's position" (very impressed with their reflexes)
    where the batter really does try to protect the "plate"
    and there are few "non-strikes" thrown or pitches taken
    and the baserunners must carry their bat with them
    and games can last a friggin long time
    :noidea
    Last edited by RuthMayBond; 09-24-2007, 01:21 PM.
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

I don't know all the rules of the game.

But the runners are the batters. When they hit the ball, they have to run up and down between the wickets (the three little poles). One time up and down is a run. When the ball is back at the wicket before the runner, the runner is out. If the bowler (the pitcher) manages to hit the wickets with the ball, the batter is out too. The task of the batter is to protect the wicket and to hit the ball away. It can be a defensive "swing" that looks like a bunt, but it can also be a full swing. With this full swing the batter can hit the ball far away.

If the hit ball touches the boundaries over the ground the batting team earns a certain number of runs. If the ball is hit over the boudaries by air the team earns a higher number of runs. For both I don't know how many.

A one day match contains 50 overs. An over is a series of six thrown balls.
    The teams change sides as soon as 10 of the 11 batters are out or if the 50 overs has been thrown.

This is all I know about cricket. Maybe you should check Wikipedia.

Comment

If the ball bounces or rolls over the boundary line, the team gets 4 runs. If it's hit over on the fly (a "home run"), it's 6 points.

Also, the batters/runners (they are one in the same) aren't required to run (and risk being put out) if they don't feel that the batter hit the ball far enough.
      WAMCO!

Comment

I've always wanted to understand, too, but haven't had much luck.

I've read something about multiple batters/runners running at the same time. Is that true? How does that work? Is one guy the "on deck" batsman, or something?
        CLEVELAND INDIANS Central Division Champions

1920 1948 1954 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2001 2007

Comment

Two guys are "at-bat" at the same time essentially. Here's a quote from wikipedia. The sport is so complex that one really needs to play it to understand. But reading the (long) wikipedia entry might help too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket#Overview

To score a run, a striker must run to the opposite end of the pitch, while his non-striking partner runs to his end. To register a run, both runners must touch the ground behind the crease with either their bats or their bodies (the batsmen carry their bats as they run). If the striker hits the ball well enough, the batsmen may double back to score two or more runs. However, no rule requires the batsman to run upon striking the ball. The decision to attempt a run is ideally made by the batsman who has the better view of the ball's position, and this is communicated by calling: "yes", "no" and "wait" are often heard. The batsmen swap ends every time an odd number of runs are scored.
          WAMCO!

Comment

Sounds like Calvinball to me.
            --Annie
            Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
            Remember Yellowdog
            ABNY

Comment

Originally posted by VTSoxFan View Post
              Sounds like Calvinball to me.
              Best. Game. Ever.

CLEVELAND INDIANS Central Division Champions

1920 1948 1954 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2001 2007

Comment

This is a poem
                please do as you're told!
                And here is a bucket
                of water, ice-cold!

Please take this water
                and dump it on me;
                don't hesitate -
                do it ASAP!

- Calvin, to Susie, a consequence of losing in CalvinBall

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Rose Rounding Third View Post
                  This is a poem
                  please do as you're told!
                  And here is a bucket
                  of water, ice-cold!

Please take this water
                  and dump it on me;
                  don't hesitate -
                  do it ASAP!

- Calvin, to Susie, a consequence of losing in CalvinBall
                  http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=55111
                  Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Comment

This just in:
                    Calvin won the last match over Hobbes, Q to 12.
                    "Someone asked me if I took steroids. I said, 'No. I had a contract with Wheaties.'"
                    --Bob Feller

Comment

Originally posted by 2Chance View Post
                      This just in:
                      Calvin won the last match over Hobbes, Q to 12.
                      Yeah, but Calvin
                      CHEATED!

Comment

Didn't he forget to touch the last wicket, so then they had to hop on one foot (unless they were in a no-hopping zone) until somebody found the bonus box.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Bedard View Post
                          Didn't he forget to touch the last wicket, so then they had to hop on one foot (unless they were in a no-hopping zone) until somebody found the bonus box.
                          You guys scare me

Comment

originally posted by Erik Bedard
                            By golly, I think you're right.

"Here's the 'very sorry songg'
                            Won't you help sing alonggg
                            (bum bum bum)

I blew it.........(He's sorry!)
                            I knew it........(So sorry!)
                            I'm very very sorry
                            That I took your precious flaaggg!
                            (Just don't do it any more,
                            you scurvy scalawaaggg!)"*

*You may remember, Hobbes touched the opposite pole, so the "No song zone" is now a song zone.
                            "Someone asked me if I took steroids. I said, 'No. I had a contract with Wheaties.'"
                            --Bob Feller

Comment

I have a copy of Brian Lara's International Cricket on my Xbox. It helped me learn and understand cricket...somewhat! It is a complicated sport, but probably not much more complicated than how baseball must seem to someone from England, for example. Have you ever tried to explain baseball to someone who has no clue? It really opens your eyes to some of the aspects of the game that you normally don't notice.

Sorry to interrupt the Calvinball discussion. That probably means a penalty for me.
                              Your luck has expired. Please purchase new luck.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X