Whose number should be retired?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whose number should be retired?

Who's a guy from your team you think should have his number retired? I'm a Red Sox fan and think Evans is overdue for his number to be retired.

My position is that the practice of retiring numbers should be retired.
    Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

Originally posted by Steelwheels View Post
      Who's a guy from your team you think should have his number retired? I'm a Red Sox fan and think Evans is overdue for his number to be retired.
      Here's a very substantial Red Sox thread that may interest you:

https://www.baseball-fever.com/forum...etired-numbers

There's also a Yankees thread:

And a Mets thread:

https://www.baseball-fever.com/forum...%80%99s-jersey

A Cubs thread:

A Phillies thread:

A Padres thread:

There's likely a discussion for nearly every team.
      Put it in the books.

Comment

Thanks!! I'm not surprised that team specific threads exist.

Comment

Originally posted by ian2813 View Post
          Haha.....I can certainly understand. It's become an overused practice, for sure.
          "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
          "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
          "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
          "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

The Miami Marlins are about to play their 28th season, yet have not retired a single uniform number. It would not be unreasonable for them to retire Gary Sheffield's number 10. Sheff is an all-time great (whether he reaches Cooperstown or not), was the best player on the Marlins' first World Championship team, and played more seasons in Miami than he did anywhere else. He was a two-time All-Star in a Marlins uniform. His 156 OPS+ in six seasons as a Marlin is still the team record. If they're going to honor someone (who isn't still active), Sheffield makes the most sense and it would serve to recognize the 1997 championship team in a special way to boot.

The New York Mets were planning on retiring Jerry Koosman's number 36 during the 2020 baseball season. I was surprised to learn that no one from the 1986 World Championship team has yet had that honor. Not manager Davey Johnson (#5), not Keith Hernandez (#17) or Gary Carter (#8) and not Darryl Strawberry (#18) or Dwight Gooden (#16). It would seem appropriate for the Mets to pick at least one of these guys - Hernandez, perhaps - for the honor.

Oakland has yet to honor its Philadelphian roots. If it chose to do so then Mickey Cochrane (#2), Jimmie Foxx (#3), Bob Johnson (#4), Al Simmons (#7) and Lefty Grove (#10) would be the obvious choices. Another rep from the Kansas City/Mustache Gang years would be Sal Bando (#6). The Bash Brothers (Mark McGwire's #25 and Jose Canseco's #33) would also be appropriate given three straight pennants and a World Championship.

What a team chooses to celebrate is up to the people running it, but generally speaking I don't see any harm in retiring uniform numbers as a celebration of your history so long as it's not taken to extremes.
            "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
            "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards

Comment

Didn't the Marlins retire 16 after Fernandez died?

Comment

Originally posted by ian2813 View Post
                I agree wholeheartedly. What's the big deal?

A an aside, don't the Yankees have the most retired numbers?
                “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” Walter Lippmann

"I don't care if the guy is yellow or black, or if he has stripes like a ******* zebra. I'm the manager of this team and I say he [Robinson] plays." - Leo Durocher

Comment

Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
                  Haha.....I can certainly understand. It's become an overused practice, for sure.
                  Ty Cobb's number should be retired.

Comment

Originally posted by 1905 Giants View Post

I agree wholeheartedly. What's the big deal?

A an aside, don't the Yankees have the most retired numbers?
                    I started a thread about this a while back proposing alternatives to number retirement, but for some reason no one seems to agree with me. Oh well, I guess I should be used to it by now.
                    Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

The New York Mets were planning on retiring Jerry Koosman's number 36 during the 2020 baseball season. I was surprised to learn that no one from the 1986 World Championship team has yet had that honor. Not manager Davey Johnson (#5), not Keith Hernandez (#17) or Gary Carter (#8) and not Darryl Strawberry (#18) or Dwight Gooden (#16). It would seem appropriate for the Mets to pick at least one of these guys - Hernandez, perhaps - for the honor.
                      My first choice is Hernandez as well. He's long overdue. Strawberry too, my second choice.

Carter really didn't do enough as a Met to warrant them retiring his number.

I know you were trying to make a point about the '86 team, but if 5 is to be retired by the Mets, it'll be for David Wright.
                      Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post

My first choice is Hernandez as well. He's long overdue. Strawberry too, my second choice.

Carter really didn't do enough as a Met to warrant them retiring his number.

I know you were trying to make a point about the '86 team, but if 5 is to be retired by the Mets, it'll be for David Wright.
                        I suspect Wright will be the next number they do retire. I think Hernandez makes the most sense - longest career with the Mets, long tenure as a Mets broadcaster and a strong HOF case. Wasn't he their team captain?

Comment

I suspect Wright will be the next number they do retire. I think Hernandez makes the most sense - longest career with the Mets, long tenure as a Mets broadcaster and a strong HOF case. Wasn't he their team captain?
                          Indeed he was. Co-captain with Carter.
                          Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post

Indeed he was. Co-captain with Carter.
                            Thought so (though I forgot about Carter). All the more reason to honor the guy.

I tend to this of it this way:

Team halls of fame are for team-relevant stars and favorites. Uniform retirements are for team legends and icons. I would hope that teams look at these honors as valuable boosters to their local greats' cases for Cooperstown. To me, it's sort of shameful that Cooperstown would recognize a great player before his own team did. (The Orioles and Mike Mussina come to mind.)

Last summer I had the pleasure of touring the St. Louis Cardinals HOF and Museum while at Busch for a game. They have a nice exhibit on the St. Louis Browns and do a good job of paying homage to their former crosstown rivals. At first, I was curious why the Cardinals do that, but then who else will? There isn't enough interest to justify a separate St. Louis Browns museum and the Orioles (to my knowledge) have not chosen to honor or recognize their franchise's history in St. Louis.

It makes me wonder if the Nationals are ever going to do something to preserve the memories of the Expos or if that will be left up to a Montreal expansion team some day.

What are your thoughts on the "appropriate" way to do this?

Comment

The Orioles like to pretend the Browns never existed.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X