Retiring more numbers across the entire MLB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retiring more numbers across the entire MLB

Only one number has seen leaguewide retirement - #42, in honor of Jackie Robinson, the first black player in the modern era.

I feel there are some players who were so good throughout their careers that their numbers should be retired leaguewide:

44 - Hank Aaron
    21 - Roberto Clemente
    24 - Willie Mays
    30/34 - Nolan Ryan
    3 - Babe Ruth

Plus I want Pete Rose reinstated, so his #14 can also be retired leaguewide.

There's probably more players whose numbers merit leaguewide retirement.
    The playoffs should expand eventually, but only if MLB itself expands.

See my blog for more info.

I don't think they should've retired Jackie Robinson's number leaguewide, so I don't support any of this. It's ridiculous. Let people wear the numbers and give them a legacy. Stop putting them up on a wall.
    Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

I'd like to see Cy Young's, Walter Johnson's, and Ty Cobb's numbers retired.
      Put it in the books.

Comment

No player should have his number retired throughout the league, though if anyone merited such a distinction, Jackie's unique contribution to the game is at least not unreasonable.
        "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
        "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
        "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
        "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

None of these numbers should be retired league wide, and a big no to Rose. He walked by the huge poster clearly defining the punishment for gambling on baseball more than 25,000 times at least. They are enormous posters. I’ve seen them, albeit in minor league clubhouses and umpire’s locker rooms.

But, this shouldn’t be about that.

The other suggestions, although great players, weren’t as important as Robinson or accomplished as much on/off the field.
          "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

In light of the whole monuments coming down issue this seems out of step, but then again i blanch every time I see the "gov Mario Cuomo " sign approaching the Tappan Zee bridge. A more practical point is that there are only 99 or 100 numbers (if we count 0) and we might not want to knock them out of circulation.

Comment

Originally posted by StanTheMan View Post
              None of these numbers should be retired league wide, and a big no to Rose. He walked by the huge poster clearly defining the punishment for gambling on baseball more than 25,000 times at least. They are enormous posters. I’ve seen them, albeit in minor league clubhouses and umpire’s locker rooms.

But, this shouldn’t be about that.

The other suggestions, although great players, weren’t as important as Robinson or accomplished as much on/off the field.
              I am one of Rose's biggest defenders. Not only should he be reinstated, Giamatti's name should be removed from the award named after him out of respect for Rose and his fans. I mean we're removing Landis' name from an award, which of course makes fans of Joe Jackson happy.

Comment

Originally posted by PF#9 View Post

I am one of Rose's biggest defenders. Not only should he be reinstated, Giamatti's name should be removed from the award named after him out of respect for Rose and his fans. I mean we're removing Landis' name from an award, which of course makes fans of Joe Jackson happy.
                Robinson's is the only number that should be retired league wide. The other suggestions are laughable at best. Ryan? One of if not the most overrated pitcher ever? And Rose should be banned for the rest of eternity, with Giamatti's name staying right where it is.
                "The first draft of anything is crap." - Ernest Hemingway

There's no such thing as an ultimate stat.

Comment

Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
                  i blanch every time I see the "gov Mario Cuomo " sign approaching the Tappan Zee bridge.
                  I feel the same way every time I see signs for the (ugh) Ed Koch Queensboro Bridge.

Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
                  A more practical point is that there are only 99 or 100 numbers (if we count 0) and we might not want to knock them out of circulation.
                  We have a miniature version of that right now. The Yankees have retired every single-digit number* - the lowest assignable uniform number that a Yankee can wear is #11.

I'm sure there will come a time when there will be three-digit uniform numbers. It may not happen in our lifetimes, but it will happen.

Comment

I personally don't think any number should be retired league wide...leave it to the teams themselves. If they want to honor people, they should find another way.
                    If the White Sox has not traded Sammy Sosa, they'd have probably won a few more World Series. (Chadwick)
                    Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

Originally posted by 1905 Giants View Post

Robinson's is the only number that should be retired league wide. The other suggestions are laughable at best. Ryan? One of if not the most overrated pitcher ever? And Rose should be banned for the rest of eternity, with Giamatti's name staying right where it is.
                      Except MLB is now getting into bed with the same kind of people that got him banned. So MLB is now coming across as hypocrites.

And God loved Rose so much, he gave Giamatti a fatal heart attack not long after he banned Rose. John Lennon did say "instant karma is gonna get you" after all.

Comment

Furthermore, had Giamatti banned Rose in the age of social media and suffered his fatal heart attack soon after, Reds fans would have trolled Giamatti's supporters.

Comment

Originally posted by PF#9 View Post

Except MLB is now getting into bed with the same kind of people that got him banned. So MLB is now coming across as hypocrites.

And God loved Rose so much, he gave Giamatti a fatal heart attack not long after he banned Rose. John Lennon did say "instant karma is gonna get you" after all.
                          I think you might be a few cards shy of a full deck if you think that about God.
                          "The first draft of anything is crap." - Ernest Hemingway

There's no such thing as an ultimate stat.

Comment

Nolan Ryan? Seriously?

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
                              I'd like to see Cy Young's, Walter Johnson's, and Ty Cobb's numbers retired.
                              Funny.

I think there were some bat boys who wore those numbers...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X