Retiring more numbers across the entire MLB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No more league-wide number retirements.
    They don’t think it be like it is, but it do.

Comment

I'm not sure why anyone would consider an MLB-wide number retirement because someone was an "all-time great" or any other field of play consideration. If you think that way then you entirely and completely are obtuse to the reason for retiring Jackie Robinson's # 42.

Even if Robinson had had a statistically mediocre career, this honor was a MUST. Jackie Robinson's entering MLB was a seismic re-ordering of American culture and American society. It is one of the most impactful events in American history. Since we are the most exceptional and most important nation that has ever existed, it is also one of the major events in human history.

(On a side note, even if you miss the point completely, and think it's about stats ... Ryan? Seriously? lmao!)

Comment

All numbers should be unretired.

Comment

You really can't say #42 is retired when players keep wearing the number.

Comment

Originally posted by Orioles5 View Post
            You really can't say #42 is retired when players keep wearing the number.
            In the truest sense of the word, you're absolutely right. And I'd be just fine if they eliminated that day/weekend every year. It's hard enough to tell the players without a scorecard anyway.
            Put it in the books.

Comment

Mets will retire Keith Hernandez's #17 on July 9th this season.
              "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
              "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
              "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
              "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

In light of the trainwreck baseball is facing by continuing its silly game of chicken, MLB must promote itself as it sees fit. It might seem silly, but then again young fans could too easily confuse one Robinson for the other two already in the Hall. Folks too young to know the difference probably think Lance Armstrong played the trumpet and Louis Armstrong rode a bike. It is all about communicating that these greats made their mark on the game, and not just one team.

So.... this could easily become a moot point by allowing players to wear three digit uni numbers. No, I'm not kidding, since the Yankees would love to get there first anyway. If players revolt, and make their walkup song Bob Seger's "Feel Like A Number", so be it.

Baseball is already faced with a need to promote itself, and it will get worse. We need all the ideas we can get, and anyone who doesn't like the 'politics' of it, doesn't really like baseball.
                Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X