Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

I know, right?

This was discussed in the Mets' Ownership/Management thread. It boiled down to money. The Mets were too cheap to purchase satellite time to serve the smaller markets:

https://www.syracuse.com/mets/2019/0...-ceo-says.html

Although the Mets are second rate (or lower), and the Yankees are first rate, the Mets have a far superior broadcast team. I find the Yankees broadcasters almost unlistenable. The Mets, on the other hand, are not only top notch now, they nailed it from season one.

Kiner, Murphy and Nelson were great. Baseball broadcasters have to be someone you can stand to be around for 3 hours a day, almost every day in summer. I suspect you have to be generally likable and relatable. That's hard to fake.

I'm too young to remember Nelson intricately, though I recall him as a very good professional. Murphy was the voice of summer. He was minimalistic: not afraid, on radio, to give you moments of silence and let the ambient noise of the ballpark do the work. Of course he had little comments, key stats and anecdotes about the players, but because he didn't bombard you with meaningless talk and stats, all his words carried more weight.

His voice was ridden with lilting enthusiasm and sunshine, but not in an overt, saccharine manner. Just enough so you'd subconsciously realize a summer day with baseball on the radio was one of life's gifts; something you didn't fully realize until it wasn't there and you missed it rather dearly.

Kiner, of course, was a legend. He was simultaneously humble, yet larger than life. He was a man who'd dated Elizabeth Taylor, learned hitting from Honus Wagner, been a respected friend of men ranging from Hank Greenberg to Bing Crosby, yet sometimes literally couldn't even remember his name. Somehow his bloopers only added to his charm. This was because he'd seen everything, known everyone, and had much knowledge to share. He was also self-effacing and never much discussed his own accomplishments.

They helped make a lot of forgettable baseball a memorable, shared experience for Mets fans.
    I so miss those guys, and this was an absolutely beautiful read.
    Put it in the books.

Comment

• I've moved around a fair bit as an adult so I've had the pleasure of hearing a number of broadcasters over the years. My favorites are Vin Scully, Jon Miller and Ernie Harwell. The worst for me have been Mike Shannon and Joe Nuxhall.
      "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
      "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
      "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
      "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

• Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
        I've moved around a fair bit as an adult so I've had the pleasure of hearing a number of broadcasters over the years. My favorites are Vin Scully, Jon Miller and Ernie Harwell. The worst for me have been Mike Shannon and Joe Nuxhall.
        Give the Reds credit for limiting his Nuxhall to primarily being a color guy, I guess he only did 2-3 innings of PBP to give Marty Brennaman a break. That was Shannon's role for 30 years and after Jack Buck passed away in 2002 and neither Joe Buck or Costas was interested in being Buck's replacement, the Cards gave it to Shannon. I guess the rational was he'd been there for a long time and was a popular player on their championship teams in the 60's. He is truly dreadful on PBP.
        It Might Be? It Could Be?? It Is!

Comment

• Originally posted by 64Cards View Post

Give the Reds credit for limiting his Nuxhall to primarily being a color guy, I guess he only did 2-3 innings of PBP to give Marty Brennaman a break. That was Shannon's role for 30 years and after Jack Buck passed away in 2002 and neither Joe Buck or Costas was interested in being Buck's replacement, the Cards gave it to Shannon. I guess the rational was he'd been there for a long time and was a popular player on their championship teams in the 60's. He is truly dreadful on PBP.
          Yes, Shannon is miscast as a PBP announcer, but fine as a color analyst (until recently). However, due to his Cardinals career, it's understandable why he remains popular just like Ron Santo was as a dreadful Cubs color analyst. I feel sorry for John Rooney. He's a very good PBP guy, but rarely gets to do so because of Shannon.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3rdGenCub View Post

Yes, Shannon is miscast as a PBP announcer, but fine as a color analyst (until recently). However, due to his Cardinals career, it's understandable why he remains popular just like Ron Santo was as a dreadful Cubs color analyst. I feel sorry for John Rooney. He's a very good PBP guy, but rarely gets to do so because of Shannon.
            I like Rooney. Shannon doesn't go on the road anymore, thankfully-but Rooney's analyst and PBP back up for a couple innings is Ricky Horton, who suffers from a severe case of diarrhea of the mouth, feeling compelled to yap between every pitch.

It Might Be? It Could Be?? It Is!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X