Zambrano or Owings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zambrano or Owings

I read somewhere that Warren Sphann holds the record for most career HRs by a pitcher. I was wondering, do you guys think Carlos Zambrano or Micah Owings can break it? Owings seems like a lock, and if Zambrano can hit like he did in 2006 (6 HRs) he should be able to when all is said and done. Course, in my opinion, the only way Owings dont break it is if the Dbacks make him a fulltime position player, but I dont see that happeneing, hes pretty good pitching!
    "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
    -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
    -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Owings has a better chance. The compared him to Babe Ruth as a hitting pitcher, Owings was ahead in almost everything. And he's young.

Comment

I thought Wes Ferrell held the record.
      SOUVENEZ-VOUS LES EXPOS!!!
      "The future's uncertain and the end is always near" - Jim Morrison

Comment

Owings definitely has a chance. Does his pinch hit home run the other day count?
        I collect any and all Braves cards and memorabilia. I also collect baseballs and Pre-1060's Topps cards.
        Trusted traders - Rpollard86, duckydps, Mike D., Rockhound, Drillbit

Comment

Wes Ferrell does hold the career record with 38 and the season record with 9. WF was an AL pitcher. Spahn hit 35 and probably holds the NL career record.

Comment

Originally posted by xholdourownx View Post
            Owings definitely has a chance. Does his pinch hit home run the other day count?
            No. a PH HR doesnt count as one hit as a Pitcher.

Comment

Dontrelle Willis has 8 career HR. But he's in the American League now. :dismay:

Is the DH mandatory in the AL? Could Owings bat for himself during the interleague (AL home team) games?

Comment

There's been a lot of good hitting pitchers through the years. Owings is just another of them.

Wes Ferrell and Warren Spahn have held their records for a long time, and there's a reason for that. Both had longetivity on their side. Spahn is a HOF'er, Ferrell has a good argument. To call somebody a lock this early in their career is a little short sighted.
                Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Cubsfan97 View Post
                  I read somewhere that Warren Sphann holds the record for most career HRs by a pitcher. I was wondering, do you guys think Carlos Zambrano or Micah Owings can break it? Owings seems like a lock, and if Zambrano can hit like he did in 2006 (6 HRs) he should be able to when all is said and done. Course, in my opinion, the only way Owings dont break it is if the Dbacks make him a fulltime position player, but I dont see that happeneing, hes pretty good pitching!
                  It's spelt Spahn, and happening.
                  I don't think any of those players will do it. I do agree though, that they are undervalued hitting options. If you had to have an answer, I would say Zambrano is a better option to do it.
                  MySpace Codes

Comment

Originally posted by BenHertz View Post
                    Is the DH mandatory in the AL? Could Owings bat for himself during the interleague (AL home team) games?
                    It's not mandatory. He could indeed hit for himself, although I wouldn't count on it. Has it been done in recent years?

A DH can only hit for the pitcher though, so the Twins couldn't have Livan Hernandez hit for Adam Everett

Comment

Originally posted by stejay View Post
                      It's spelt Spahn, and happening.
                      I don't think any of those players will do it. I do agree though, that they are undervalued hitting options. If you had to have an answer, I would say Zambrano is a better option to do it.
                      Could you please resist the urge to correct typos? They happen. You've done your share, yourself.
                      Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                      Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                      Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                      Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                      Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X