Your "closet" team(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your "closet" team(s)

We all have one. Or two. Or more. Sure, I am a Cards fan. But I confess to having a few teams in my closet, my "secondary" teams that I secretly root for unless they're playing my primary team:

Small market:
    Astros
    Marlins

Large market:
    Mets
    Dodgers

Way back in the closet:
    Pirates
    Tigers
    Twins
    Born to an age where horror has become commonplace, where tragedy has, by its monotonous repetition, become a parody of sorrow, we need to fence off a few parks where humans try to be fair, where skill has some hope of reward, [and] where absurdity has a harder time than usual getting a ticket." -- Thomas Boswell, 1984

I'm a Braves fan but I also like watching the Twins, Astros, Rockies, Padres, and Rangers.
    Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

Francouerstein -- Rangers?? They don't seem to fit in that list at all. Must be a geographical thing...
      Born to an age where horror has become commonplace, where tragedy has, by its monotonous repetition, become a parody of sorrow, we need to fence off a few parks where humans try to be fair, where skill has some hope of reward, [and] where absurdity has a harder time than usual getting a ticket." -- Thomas Boswell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by keystone View Post
        Francouerstein -- Rangers?? They don't seem to fit in that list at all. Must be a geographical thing...
        Can you explain that a little better? lol

Comment

Oh, it's just my perverted logic, I guess. IMHO, the Twins, Astros, Padres, & the post-humidor Rockies all seem to have had fairly decent pitching during their lifetimes. The Rangers pride themselves on getting rid of good pitchers and playing bludgeon-ball to make up for it.

I'm guessing you're a Texan because you included both the 'Stros & Rangers. And I confess. the Rangers do have a beautiful park. I saw the Big Unit & Griffey play there. Nice! But if I had to listed to Josh Lewin (sp?) for even 30 seconds, I think I'd put my head in the oven.

Comment

Phillies
            Pirates
            Red Sox
            Tigers (though not tonight! )

Comment

The Tigers are making me crazy, too, Seattle1. I just don't get what's happening...

And, lo! A closet Pirates fan emerges. Hallelujah! I wish they'd get some good front-office people.

Comment

Dodgers fan first and foremost for obvious reasons.

The Red Sox are #2 team (my AL team) mainly because I fell for Boston teams when I was there in 1986, after watching the Celts beat the Rockets in the Basketball playoffs (on TV, not live), plus I liked Boston as a city to visit (especially the visit to Cheers).

I like to follow the exploits of the Braves because my sister-in-law flys with them on road trips as a flight attendant and managed to get me an autographed ball from the team.

Other than that I just enjoy watching games, whomever is playing and alsway choose a team to follow during the playoffs if the Dodgers are not involved.

Oh maybe I should comment that my 2nd favourite team is the team that is playing the Yankees each day
                "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Comment

I wish they'd get some good front-office people.

Yeah poor Pirates.

Oh well it can't last forever.

Comment

Oh, it's just my perverted logic, I guess. IMHO, the Twins, Astros, Padres, & the post-humidor Rockies all seem to have had fairly decent pitching during their lifetimes. The Rangers pride themselves on getting rid of good pitchers and playing bludgeon-ball to make up for it.

I'm guessing you're a Texan because you included both the 'Stros & Rangers. And I confess. the Rangers do have a beautiful park. I saw the Big Unit & Griffey play there. Nice! But if I had to listed to Josh Lewin (sp?) for even 30 seconds, I think I'd put my head in the oven.
                    Nope. I'm a Georgian. I like watching the Astros because of their young blend of hitting and pitching. I like the Rangers because they have ex-braves in Millwood and Saltalamacchia. Also they let us have Teixiera XD.

Comment

"...obvious reasons..." Are all Aussies Dodger fans? Or is it just your user name that gives you away? How did you become a Dodger fan?

The Dodgers AA team played in San Antonio for quite a long time, so I got to know the players from the '80s when they were here. Very cool!

Oh, yeah. I am totally with you, DownUnder, about rooting for any team that's playing the Yankees! And I, likewise, pick a team to pull for during the playoffs.

At the moment, however, I am immersed in the Spurs who have to play the Lakers in LA tomorrow....

That all makes perfect sense, Francouerstein. Your logic is impeccable. And it sure was nice of the Rangers to give you Teixeira, huh? Saltalamacchia is gonna be a beast...
                      Last edited by keystone; 05-20-2008, 07:03 PM. Reason: add a note to reply

Comment

National League- Mets(followed them for over a decade)

Small Market- Tampa Bay Rays(always thought they were better than they appeared, have family down there)

Way back in the closet- Angels(know people out in that area, nice team to root for in playoffs when not facing Boston)
                        Best posts ever:
                        Originally posted by nymdan
                        Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                        Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                        I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Primary: Chicago Cubs (growing up in downstate Illinois, I straddled the fence between them and the Cardinals for a while)
                          Secondary: Atlanta Braves (I live in the Atlanta area now, plus I watched the Braves all the time on TBS back in the day)
                          American League: Seattle Mariners (I loved Griffey and A-Rod when I was younger, and I stayed interested in the team even after they left)
                          Way Back in the Closet: St. Louis Cardinals (try as I might, I just can't hate them as much as I know I should...but at least I detest the White Sox)
                          Last edited by Transplanted Fan; 05-20-2008, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Ah, Transplanted -- it's just hard to hate us! I don't hate Cub fans, either.

However, I hate ANY fans for ANY team who are rude and crude to opposing fans in the stands.... :choke:

Comment

dont have one...dont follow the NL and how can i root for another AL team ?....Yankees to the core my friends
                              BALLGAME OVER, YANKEES WIN...THEEEEEEEEEEEE YANKEES WIN
                              “You wouldn't have won if we'd beaten you.”

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X