BBF Post of the Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
    As this is a discussion forum about baseball, a game that would not have been invented anywhere but in the United States, and as this is Christmas morning, a national holiday recognizing the birth of Jesus of Nazareth, son of the Creator, YHWH, whom the founders of this nation revered, if not worshipped, I don't think it's a stretch to say that without the birth of Jesus, we would not have the gift of baseball, either.

No matter what the Hall of Fame does or does not do, no matter how much aggravation may accompany its actions (or the response of some to them) from time-to-time, we are all united by our love for this wonderful sport, its rich history and our marvel at the amazing achievements of ballplayers great and small. While we often disagree with each other - and let's admit right now that this would be a boring subject, indeed, if we didn't - what we share between us is of greater importance than those divisions which may sometimes seem more insurmountable than they actually are.

So with all of this in mind, I want to take a moment to wish every single one of you - regardless of religion, creed or worldview - a very merry Christmas and a happy new year. May each of you receive joy and love and peace this day and may Santa Claus bring us all a nice four-man BBWAA class of inductees in the new year!

God bless us, everyone.
    Kudos big man!
    Sox fans are the only ones who seem to remember the 1959 World Series happened.

Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

• Herr28 with some knowledge and humor!

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
      I wonder if fans, broadcasters, sportswriters, or opposing teams noticed this extreme split during the 1979 season (referring to Fred Lynn)?
      Originally posted by Herr28 View Post
      Oh, I seriously doubt it. Everyone was blind back then. Just a bunch of statistical barbarians running around clubbing each other and waiting for lightning to strike so they could have fire. Amazing that human beings could devise computers, send astronauts and cosmonauts to the moon and around the earth, build atomic weapons and power, but nobody could figure out home/away splits until this site came around. Now we can determine what really happened, and Fred Lynn can be tossed further down the memory hole.
      Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

• Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
        Herr28 with some knowledge and humor!

Post of the day? That post was four years old!
        They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
          Post of the day? That post was four years old!
          I'm just slow sometimes, aches!
          Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

• An astute observation...

Originally posted by willshad View Post
            John's problem for me is not his worthiness in and of itself, but the fact that there are so many pitchers from that generation already enshrined. How many 'greats' could there possibly be at a given time, before we raise the bar for what greatness is? Putting in guys like John, Kaat, Reuschel, Tanana, Tiant, Koosman etc wouldn't necessarily lower the standards, but would definitely make me question how one era could produce so many 'all time greats', even moreso than it already does.

We already have Seaver, Carlton, Palmer, Ryan, Niekro, Blyleven, Gibson, Perry, Sutton, Eckersley, Hunter, and Jenkins, not to mention relievers Fingers, Gossage, and Sutter. Isn't that enough? I don't like to get into 'third and fourth tier' type of guys. Who comes after that? Vida Blue? Mickey Lolich? Wilbur Wood? Ron Guidry?

Comment

• Originally posted by SWCBaseball View Post

I cannot say for sure but I have several theories.

1. Today's scorers have different opinions about what an average or median fielder should be able to do. For each play what are they measuring that individuals play against. Would the normal or average fielder have been able to make the play cleanly.

2. Are they measuring the fielder against what they have come to expect that individual to do. So if he is a poor fielder to begin with and is expected to be a poor infielder, then they award hits instead of errors because they don't expect him to field it cleanly.

3. There may be some subtle laziness or distractions in scoring so if a scorer misses a play, it is easier for him to call it a hit instead of an error.

4. I think some scorers may not know the difference between poor, routine, and extraordinary.

5. Record streaking - when players regardless of the type of record-breaking streak that may be occurring, whether an offensive player is in the middle of a hitting streak or a defensive player is in a record-breaking fielding streak, I think some plays are awarded simply to continue the streaks by not properly charging an obvious errors. The Major Leagues endorse record breaking events because it draws more media attention which in turn draws interest from the public.

6. I think since the late 1980's into the 1990's and so forth, there have been a lot of balls that should have been caught in the outfield deflecting off of gloves that the scorer has ruled as doubles, triples, inside-the-park home runs that actually should have been ruled as 2-, 3-, and 4-base errors. I am really talking about routine plays.

7. There have been a lot of balls that should have been caught in foul territory bouncing out of the pockets of gloves that thirty and forty years ago were charged as errors because it extending the turn at bat and the inning but now are called only strikes.

For me, when I am scoring games, I score each play with the following mentality: Any routine misplay that causes the extension of a turn at-bat, extension of an inning, and extension of the game, is an ERROR. One exception of that rule when I was growing up was the rule that Double-Plays cannot be assumed and an error is only charged in a misplay during the act of the play if the runner takes an additional base. Example: Runner on first, routine grounder to short, toss to 2nd for first out, second basemen relays throw to first as wild. If the batter stops at first, no error but should the batter reach second or beyond on that throw, then an error would be assessed for the additional advancement.

Not charging errors, not only makes the fielders statistically look better than they are but also makes the hitters look better than they are.

Another example of a play that should be an error that is not called is when an outfielder arrives on the warning track and positions himself to catch a high fly ball that then bouncing out of his glove and over the wall is scored in today's game as a home run but should not be. Once the fielder is set before the catch, and then misplays the ball, it is an error, not a home run. Today's Major League games are being scored like they were in Little League or Khoury League games by parents who only scored hits and runs.

Those are my thoughts and opinions but I am not an official scorer in the Major Leagues.
              Amazing and true.
              Sox fans are the only ones who seem to remember the 1959 World Series happened.

Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X