Announcement

Collapse

Updated Baseball Fever Policy

Baseball Fever Policy

I. Purpose of this announcement:

This announcement describes the policies pertaining to the operation of Baseball Fever.

Baseball Fever is a moderated baseball message board which encourages and facilitates research and information exchange among fans of our national pastime. The intent of the Baseball Fever Policy is to ensure that Baseball Fever remains an extremely high quality, extremely low "noise" environment.

Baseball Fever is administrated by three principal administrators:
webmaster - Baseball Fever Owner
The Commissioner - Baseball Fever Administrator
Macker - Baseball Fever Administrator

And a group of forum specific super moderators. The role of the moderator is to keep Baseball Fever smoothly and to screen posts for compliance with our policy. The moderators are ALL volunteer positions, so please be patient and understanding of any delays you might experience in correspondence.

II. Comments about our policy:

Any suggestions on this policy may be made directly to the webmaster.

III. Acknowledgments:

This document was based on a similar policy used by SABR.

IV. Requirements for participation on Baseball Fever:

Participation on Baseball Fever is available to all baseball fans with a valid email address, as verified by the forum's automated system, which then in turn creates a single validated account. Multiple accounts by a single user are prohibited.

By registering, you agree to adhere to the policies outlined in this document and to conduct yourself accordingly. Abuse of the forum, by repeated failure to abide by these policies, will result in your access being blocked to the forum entirely.

V. Baseball Fever Netiquette:

Participants at Baseball Fever are required to adhere to these principles, which are outlined in this section.
a. All posts to Baseball Fever should be written in clear, concise English, with proper grammar and accurate spelling. The use of abbreviations should be kept to a minimum; when abbreviation is necessary, they should be either well-known (such as etc.), or explained on their first use in your post.

b. Conciseness is a key attribute of a good post.

c. Quote only the portion of a post to which you are responding.

d. Standard capitalization and punctuation make a large difference in the readability of a post. TYPING IN ALL CAPITALS is considered to be "shouting"; it is a good practice to limit use of all capitals to words which you wish to emphasize.

e. It is our policy NOT to transmit any defamatory or illegal materials.

f. Personal attacks of any type against Baseball Fever readers will not be tolerated. In these instances the post will be copied by a moderator and/or administrator, deleted from the site, then sent to the member who made the personal attack via a Private Message (PM) along with a single warning. Members who choose to not listen and continue personal attacks will be banned from the site.

g. It is important to remember that many contextual clues available in face-to-face discussion, such as tone of voice and facial expression, are lost in the electronic forum. As a poster, try to be alert for phrasing that might be misinterpreted by your audience to be offensive; as a reader, remember to give the benefit of the doubt and not to take umbrage too easily. There are many instances in which a particular choice of words or phrasing can come across as being a personal attack where none was intended.

h. The netiquette described above (a-g) often uses the term "posts", but applies equally to Private Messages.

VI. Baseball Fever User Signature Policy

A signature is a piece of text that some members may care to have inserted at the end of ALL of their posts, a little like the closing of a letter. You can set and / or change your signature by editing your profile in the UserCP. Since it is visible on ALL your posts, the following policy must be adhered to:

Signature Composition
Font size limit: No larger than size 2 (This policy is a size 2)
Style: Bold and italics are permissible
Character limit: No more than 500 total characters
Lines: No more than 4 lines
Colors: Most colors are permissible, but those which are hard to discern against the gray background (yellow, white, pale gray) should be avoided
Images/Graphics: Allowed, but nothing larger than 20k and Content rules must be followed

Signature Content
No advertising is permitted
Nothing political or religious
Nothing obscene, vulgar, defamatory or derogatory
Links to personal blogs/websites are permissible - with the webmaster's written consent
A Link to your Baseball Fever Blog does not require written consent and is recommended
Quotes must be attributed. Non-baseball quotes are permissible as long as they are not religious or political

Please adhere to these rules when you create your signature. Failure to do so will result in a request to comply by a moderator. If you do not comply within a reasonable amount of time, the signature will be removed and / or edited by an Administrator. Baseball Fever reserves the right to edit and / or remove any or all of your signature line at any time without contacting the account holder.

VII. Appropriate and inappropriate topics for Baseball Fever:

Most concisely, the test for whether a post is appropriate for Baseball Fever is: "Does this message discuss our national pastime in an interesting manner?" This post can be direct or indirect: posing a question, asking for assistance, providing raw data or citations, or discussing and constructively critiquing existing posts. In general, a broad interpretation of "baseball related" is used.

Baseball Fever is not a promotional environment. Advertising of products, web sites, etc., whether for profit or not-for-profit, is not permitted. At the webmaster's discretion, brief one-time announcements for products or services of legitimate baseball interest and usefulness may be allowed. If advertising is posted to the site it will be copied by a moderator and/or administrator, deleted from the site, then sent to the member who made the post via a Private Message (PM) along with a single warning. Members who choose to not listen and continue advertising will be banned from the site. If the advertising is spam-related, pornography-based, or a "visit-my-site" type post / private message, no warning at all will be provided, and the member will be banned immediately without a warning.

It is considered appropriate to post a URL to a page which specifically and directly answers a question posted on the list (for example, it would be permissible to post a link to a page containing home-road splits, even on a site which has advertising or other commercial content; however, it would not be appropriate to post the URL of the main page of the site). The site reserves the right to limit the frequency of such announcements by any individual or group.

In keeping with our test for a proper topic, posting to Baseball Fever should be treated as if you truly do care. This includes posting information that is, to the best of your knowledge, complete and accurate at the time you post. Any errors or ambiguities you catch later should be acknowledged and corrected in the thread, since Baseball Fever is sometimes considered to be a valuable reference for research information.

VIII. Role of the moderator:

When a post is submitted to Baseball Fever, it is forwarded by the server automatically and seen immediately. The moderator may:
a. Leave the thread exactly like it was submitted. This is the case 95% of the time.

b. Immediately delete the thread as inappropriate for Baseball Fever. Examples include advertising, personal attacks, or spam. This is the case 1% of the time.

c. Move the thread. If a member makes a post about the Marlins in the Yankees forum it will be moved to the appropriate forum. This is the case 3% of the time.

d. Edit the message due to an inappropriate item. This is the case 1% of the time. There have been new users who will make a wonderful post, then add to their signature line (where your name / handle appears) a tagline that is a pure advertisement. This tagline will be removed, a note will be left in the message so he/she is aware of the edit, and personal contact will be made to the poster telling them what has been edited and what actions need to be taken to prevent further edits.

The moderators perform no checks on posts to verify factual or logical accuracy. While he/she may point out gross errors in factual data in replies to the thread, the moderator does not act as an "accuracy" editor. Also moderation is not a vehicle for censorship of individuals and/or opinions, and the moderator's decisions should not be taken personally.

IX. Legal aspects of participation in Baseball Fever:

By submitting a post to Baseball Fever, you grant Baseball Fever permission to distribute your message to the forum. Other rights pertaining to the post remain with the ORIGINAL author, and you may not redistribute or retransmit any posts by any others, in whole or in part, without the express consent of the original author.

The messages appearing on Baseball Fever contain the opinions and views of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of Baseball Fever, or of the Baseball Almanac family of sites.

Sincerely,

Sean Holtz, Webmaster of Baseball Almanac & Baseball Fever
www.baseball-almanac.com | www.baseball-fever.com
"Baseball Almanac: Sharing Baseball. Sharing History."
See more
See less

Following your team throughout the year

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Following your team throughout the year

    This year was a sad year for me as a Dodgers fan. Not just because they lost once again in the NLCS. But because I had followed them very closely from opening day. I kept a scrape book throughout the season. Stayed up countless nights till 1-2 am in the morning (east coast time) so I could watch the until the end of their games. I left a class early so I could watch the beginning of game 1 of the divisional series. I started to get stressed out on a small scale because I was worried I might have class during a game of the NLCS or World series and worst case scenario class on game 7 of the World series.

    Well, they didn't make the World series so I did worry about all that ceased to exist. I should not have left class early considering I would have only missed the first few innings of a game 1 (which means very little considering you swept the Cubs the previous year only to lose in the NLCS).

    But my question is this. I wonder if it was more of a let down because of the commitment I had this year.

    Bottom line is I honestly think I would have shed a tear because I can't help but get goosebumps when I watched certain games this year. All the walk offs and excitement on how good this team was. I wanted that feeling so bad. To just sit there and watch the Dodgers jump on each other and celebrate a World Series win. I've never seen it because I was too young to watch baseball in 1988. My dad is a big Dodgers fan and I think that might be one extra reason why I wanted a World Series championship even more. To be able to celebrate with him for the first time ever with a championship team.

    But I've come to realize there are more important things in life than baseball. While I'm not addicted like some I do realize I need to take a step back because other parts of my life are suffering because of the dedication I had in 2009. I've made a pact that I won't stay up past a certain time just to finish watching a game in the regular season when there are 161 other games to watch. I do think it will be easier than in past years to do this for the simple fact that I have now watched this team not once but twice fail to make the World Series when coming so close. I won't be as worried about watching a game in the divisional series or early in the NLCS because we've been there done that. Only to fail.

    What worries me though is that I won't have energy and excitement because of my less commitment in 2010. Now, I'll check the box score and recap everything morning because I have time. If it's on ESPN on Sunday night and I have no plans I'll watch the game.

    But I can't follow them with the same degree anymore as I have in the past couple years because it's too hard to see them fail.

    So to my original question. I'm sure some of you are like me on how you follow your team. But for those of you who rarely watch your team on tv, aren't able to watch the early playoff games. Is there still a great feeling of happiness when your team wins the World Series when you just watch the 7 games of the World Series? Because that's what i want (that feeling of happiness) but I can't be as committed as I have been anytime soon. School needs to come first, sleep is important, and life is short and while I do enjoy and love the Dodgers. I know that love will always be a one way street.

    Sorry so long and thanks for reading. Hopefully some of you all can relate.

  • #2
    Originally posted by DodgerBlue8188 View Post
    This year was a sad year for me as a Dodgers fan. Not just because they lost once again in the NLCS. But because I had followed them very closely from opening day. I kept a scrape book throughout the season. Stayed up countless nights till 1-2 am in the morning (east coast time) so I could watch the until the end of their games. I left a class early so I could watch the beginning of game 1 of the divisional series. I started to get stressed out on a small scale because I was worried I might have class during a game of the NLCS or World series and worst case scenario class on game 7 of the World series.

    Well, they didn't make the World series so I did worry about all that ceased to exist. I should not have left class early considering I would have only missed the first few innings of a game 1 (which means very little considering you swept the Cubs the previous year only to lose in the NLCS).

    But my question is this. I wonder if it was more of a let down because of the commitment I had this year.

    Bottom line is I honestly think I would have shed a tear because I can't help but get goosebumps when I watched certain games this year. All the walk offs and excitement on how good this team was. I wanted that feeling so bad. To just sit there and watch the Dodgers jump on each other and celebrate a World Series win. I've never seen it because I was too young to watch baseball in 1988. My dad is a big Dodgers fan and I think that might be one extra reason why I wanted a World Series championship even more. To be able to celebrate with him for the first time ever with a championship team.

    But I've come to realize there are more important things in life than baseball. While I'm not addicted like some I do realize I need to take a step back because other parts of my life are suffering because of the dedication I had in 2009. I've made a pact that I won't stay up past a certain time just to finish watching a game in the regular season when there are 161 other games to watch. I do think it will be easier than in past years to do this for the simple fact that I have now watched this team not once but twice fail to make the World Series when coming so close. I won't be as worried about watching a game in the divisional series or early in the NLCS because we've been there done that. Only to fail.

    What worries me though is that I won't have energy and excitement because of my less commitment in 2010. Now, I'll check the box score and recap everything morning because I have time. If it's on ESPN on Sunday night and I have no plans I'll watch the game.

    But I can't follow them with the same degree anymore as I have in the past couple years because it's too hard to see them fail.

    So to my original question. I'm sure some of you are like me on how you follow your team. But for those of you who rarely watch your team on tv, aren't able to watch the early playoff games. Is there still a great feeling of happiness when your team wins the World Series when you just watch the 7 games of the World Series? Because that's what i want (that feeling of happiness) but I can't be as committed as I have been anytime soon. School needs to come first, sleep is important, and life is short and while I do enjoy and love the Dodgers. I know that love will always be a one way street.

    Sorry so long and thanks for reading. Hopefully some of you all can relate.
    Nice post.

    I can relate and can assure you that you have nothing to worry about. After moving to Portland and not having enough money for cable or even mlbtv, I spent this entire season without watching a single Dodger game, except for the ones that were on FOX's Saturday game of the week.

    When the playoffs started I subscribed to the PostseasonTV package online and watched a few of the games on my computer. Rest assured, the passion, enthusiasm, enjoyment and disappointment was not any less than it would have been had I watched every single regular season game.

    Just do what you gotta do and know come playoff time you'll still be just as excited and into it.

    PS: Same thing with the Lakers. I reveled in this year's championship run just as much, even though I was limited in the number of regular season games I could see up here.

    BTW, they really "hate" us Lakers fans up here. Hehehe
    Last edited by jnakamura; 10-25-2009, 12:35 AM.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

    Comment


    • #3
      Well... my first thought is, if two years of watching a good team not make it to the Series is enough to break you, then baseball may not be your game. The experience you've just had is way more common than winning it all.

      Originally posted by DodgerBlue8188 View Post
      I've made a pact that I won't stay up past a certain time just to finish watching a game in the regular season when there are 161 other games to watch.
      I don't know that that's a good idea. I think you miss a lot by not watching complete games. I'd suggest watching fewer games, but among those that you do choose, try to stick with them.

      Comment


      • #4
        If you truly love the Dodgers, then stay up and watch them. Skip class to go support them. You can get the notes from a friend or online if your school offers that. But can you watch Andre Ethier hit a walk off homerun in a big series against the Rockies again? It's not the same to watch it on SportsCenter or on YouTube.

        I have no idea who you are as a person, this is the first time I'm talking to you, but I can honestly say that I really, really admire your love and passion for your team. There's really nothing more important in the world than love and passion so do what you love.
        Let's go Yankees!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jnakamura View Post
          Nice post.

          I can relate and can assure you that you have nothing to worry about. After moving to Portland and not having enough money for cable or even mlbtv, I spent this entire season without watching a single Dodger game, except for the ones that were on FOX's Saturday game of the week.

          When the playoffs started I subscribed to the PostseasonTV package online and watched a few of the games on my computer. Rest assured, the passion, enthusiasm, enjoyment and disappointment was not any less than it would have been had I watched every single regular season game.

          Just do what you gotta do and know come playoff time you'll still be just as excited and into it.

          PS: Same thing with the Lakers. I reveled in this year's championship run just as much, even though I was limited in the number of regular season games I could see up here.

          BTW, they really "hate" us Lakers fans up here. Hehehe
          Thanks. I actually had mlb.tv the last 4 seasons. But I don't think I'm going to get it anymore because 1, I stay up too late like I said. It's really hard to stay focused at work and school when I stay up till 2 am back to back to back nights. The biggest reason though the quality is poor. It's always a 5 minute delay so I'll have friends message me if something exciting happens when I'm yet to see it. Or I'll somehow see an update on ESPN and ruin something exciting.

          Comment


          • #6
            Really?

            Go ask a Pirate fan what it's like to lose every year.

            I can't believe what I am reading. Another loss in the NLCS is going to diminish your passion for the team/game? Yeah it stinks a lot, I hate losing, especially to the same team in a series where the team just grabbed their ankles and, hmm, well...

            You stayed up until 1 or 2, congrats. And you missed some class time. What about those of us who chose to go hungry for a few days to buy the cheapest seat in the house? Checking under the couch for change, deciding to do only one load of laundry that week, that sort of thing.

            (And people PAY to watch sports when you can stream just about any event for free? I'm looking at my boy up north, jnakamura.)

            LOLBLAZERFANS!
            No one can make you
            Do what they want to
            You know you're stronger
            Than the lies
            That they tell you

            Comment


            • #7
              I probably watched another 150 plus Tiger games this year and dont plan on stopping anytime soon. If you love the team you keep watchin.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy View Post
                Really?

                Go ask a Pirate fan what it's like to lose every year.

                I can't believe what I am reading. Another loss in the NLCS is going to diminish your passion for the team/game? Yeah it stinks a lot, I hate losing, especially to the same team in a series where the team just grabbed their ankles and, hmm, well...

                You stayed up until 1 or 2, congrats. And you missed some class time. What about those of us who chose to go hungry for a few days to buy the cheapest seat in the house? Checking under the couch for change, deciding to do only one load of laundry that week, that sort of thing.

                (And people PAY to watch sports when you can stream just about any event for free? I'm looking at my boy up north, jnakamura.)

                LOLBLAZERFANS!
                Seriously do you hate yourself? Half your posts I read show nothing but negativity. Not only that but your ignorance made you obviously miss the whole point of my thread.

                Let me ask my question again. Can you still have that same feeling of enjoyment when your team finally wins the WS if you don't follow them as much as somebody who watches them almost everday.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by DClutch View Post
                  I probably watched another 150 plus Tiger games this year and dont plan on stopping anytime soon. If you love the team you keep watchin.


                  My main this isn't that I don't want to watch them. But I don't have as much time as I used to. I go to work full time and go to school at night. Having the Dodgers play at 10:30 eastern time makes it really hard for me to stay up late. Especially when I have work the next day and then school at night.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by DodgerBlue8188 View Post
                    Seriously do you hate yourself? Half your posts I read show nothing but negativity. Not only that but your ignorance made you obviously miss the whole point of my thread.

                    Let me ask my question again. Can you still have that same feeling of enjoyment when your team finally wins the WS if you don't follow them as much as somebody who watches them almost everday.
                    I'm not negative, I'm objective and a realist.

                    And I can't answer that question because I was three months old when Gibson hit the home run.
                    No one can make you
                    Do what they want to
                    You know you're stronger
                    Than the lies
                    That they tell you

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by DodgerBlue8188 View Post
                      My main this isn't that I don't want to watch them. But I don't have as much time as I used to. I go to work full time and go to school at night. Having the Dodgers play at 10:30 eastern time makes it really hard for me to stay up late. Especially when I have work the next day and then school at night.
                      If you need to sleep, sleep. Follow the boxscores everyday and watch them when physically possible, you're passion for them won't diminish as long as you know what's going on with them. Either way, when they finally win, you'll be just as happy. Although, if they win when you're living away from the Los Angeles area, it may not seem as exciting.
                      Question for you: Do you now have a strong dislike for the Phillies being as they knocked your Dodgers out two years in a row?
                      I started rooting for the Phillies in 1977, the first of consecutive years in which the Dodgers knocked the Phillies out for the NL pennant and I've had a strong dislike for them ever since. Although, they do have the nicest uniforms in MLB.
                      Last edited by Buntforahit; 10-25-2009, 07:07 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        When the Cards fail to make the playoofs, or crap and egg like they did in the NLCS this year - I always feel I wasted a big chunk of my life.
                        1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

                        1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

                        1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015


                        The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                        The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by STLCards2 View Post
                          When the Cards fail to make the playoofs, or crap and egg like they did in the NLCS this year - I always feel I wasted a big chunk of my life.
                          ... only to start all over again in April. BTW, the Cards crapped to bed in the NLDS, not the NLCS.
                          Last edited by Buntforahit; 10-25-2009, 07:15 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Buntforahit View Post
                            If you need to sleep, sleep. Follow the boxscores everyday and watch them when physically possible, you're passion for them won't diminish as long as you know what's going on with them. Either way, when they finally win, you'll be just as happy. Although, if they win when you're living away from the Los Angeles area, it may not seem as exciting.
                            Question for you: Do you now have a strong dislike for the Phillies being as they knocked your Dodgers out two years in a row?
                            I started rooting for the Phillies in 1977, the first of consecutive years in which the Dodgers knocked the Phillies out for the NL pennant and I've had a strong dislike for them ever since. Although, they do have the nicest uniforms in MLB.

                            I'm sure I'll dislike seeing them win for many years. I remember when they came back and past the Mets several years ago I was happy to see them win.

                            However, a lot of it just has to do with the players as well. Victorino for example. You either love him or hate him and right now I hate him.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Speaking of heartbreak, I was the one witnessing the Tigers collapse this year. It felt great to see them win in 06, and especially this year, after continuing to follow them when they were in the gutter.

                              When they lost the Central this year, I didnt feel like I wasted my summer or anything, it just left me hungrier and more anxious for Spring to come.

                              In the end, just be happy that your team is successful, dont hang your hat on losing in the NLCS.

                              Trust me, I've seen "the best hitting team of all time" finish with 74 wins last year, it was tough to watch. And I also watched all 119 losses in 2003. I was overjoyed just with the fact that they were in contention in 2009.

                              You have a lot to be happy about though. The Dodgers are one of the most exciting teams I've ever seen, with all the young talent and characters on their team. That and the fact that they have been one of the top teams in baseball 2 straight years, just be happy thinking about what they need to do to make it over the hump. Watch them when you can, focus on the positive of being a baseball fan and a die hard of a crazy talented team like the Dodgers have..

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X