Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worst Analyst

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Worst Analyst

    As the "best/worst announcer" thread rages on, I'd like to see who we think is the worst analyst in the game. I'm talking about the guys on MLB Network, ESPN, or those who deliver pre-/postgame analyses.

    I'd have to go with MLBN's Harold Reynolds. He looks like an old man with a bad botox job; his lips never move, only his jaw up and down like a puppet. Everything that comes out is in such a dryly monotonous, I lose interest even before he begins spewing meaningless observations.
    "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

  • #2
    I'm not a big fan of Mitch Williams on the MLB network. He's always giving relievers too much credit and he acts like his generation was some sort of throwback era where his peers were tough and this generation is more pampered. Maybe it comes from being on the 93 Phillies. He almost acts like he was Rich Gossage where Gossage sometimes pitched 3 innings in a game. I dont think he claims he has done that but he sure acts like he did.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

    "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

    Comment


    • #3
      As long as we're bashing MLBN, I'm not fond of Matt Vegetarian, or however you spell it. Too smug by half for my taste.
      Technically, I suppose he's not an analyst, but he gets on my nerves.
      Last edited by ol' aches and pains; 02-18-2012, 08:20 PM.
      They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
        As long as we're bashing MLBN, I'm not fond of Matt Vegetarian, or however you spell it. Too smug by half for my taste.
        Technically, I suppose he's not an analyst, but he gets on my nerves.
        Mine too. I like Baseball IQ, but Vasgersian's a scenery chewing twit (especially when he won't shut up about "Need an answer..."). Kevin Millar would have made a much better host.
        It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

        Comment


        • #5
          Every one who works for TNT. That entire network lost all credibility for me all-time when after Halladay's no-hitter their studio guy rushes a clip of Larsen's perfect game and says, "Dal Maxvill" was the final out and none of the guys in the studio were bright enough to correct him on that.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
            I'm not a big fan of Mitch Williams on the MLB network. He's always giving relievers too much credit and he acts like his generation was some sort of throwback era where his peers were tough and this generation is more pampered. Maybe it comes from being on the 93 Phillies. He almost acts like he was Rich Gossage where Gossage sometimes pitched 3 innings in a game. I dont think he claims he has done that but he sure acts like he did.
            He always looks/talks like is having a hangover. And too many cliche platitudes too.
            1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

            1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

            1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015


            The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
            The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

            Comment


            • #7
              Anybody on the Eastern Sports Propaganda Network.
              Texas Rangers: Estabalished 1972 (Arlington, Texas)

              Games played at The Ballpark In Arlington (est. 1994)

              World Series Titles: 0 (Damn you David Freese, DAMN YOU!)

              American League Pennants: 2 (2010, 2011)

              American League West Division Titles: 7 (1996, 1998, 1999, 2010, 2011, 2015, 2016)

              American League Wild Card Berths: 1 (2012) (grumble)

              It will always be The Ballpark In Arlington to me

              Comment


              • #8
                I would like to nominate Dan Shaughnessy as a bad analyst.

                The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Getting all this out gives me a rush.

                  It seems all of the analysts on MLBN, ESPN, or wherever try to follow the Moneyball train of thought with numbers, but they use them so meaninglessly and try to get so technical that their ignorance (or whomever is devising them) angers me.

                  "Yeah, Cliff Lee has a 3-0 record in his last three starts against the Mets so he's gonna be tough to beat tonight."

                  With no mention to how Lee actually performed or how much run support he received from the Phillies. Like his wins are due to some unavoidable law of science.
                  "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Tyrus4189Cobb View Post
                    Getting all this out gives me a rush.

                    It seems all of the analysts on MLBN, ESPN, or wherever try to follow the Moneyball train of thought with numbers, but they use them so meaninglessly and try to get so technical that their ignorance (or whomever is devising them) angers me.

                    "Yeah, Cliff Lee has a 3-0 record in his last three starts against the Mets so he's gonna be tough to beat tonight."

                    With no mention to how Lee actually performed or how much run support he received from the Phillies. Like his wins are due to some unavoidable law of science.
                    Assuming that you are equating Moneyball with sabermetrics...

                    Nothing could be further from the truth. Sample size and context are the backbones of which baseball analytics were founded. People like the ones you are describing above that ignore sample size and contextual factors, tend to be "baseball people" like Tony LaRussa and Joe Morgan, who go with their guts and small sampling. Sabermetricians tear apart people when they use pitcher-batter matchups to say a guy is getting "owned." Entire chapters of prominent sabermetric books (The Book" Playing the Percentages, for example) were written just to tear down the notions you are describing. If you hate people using small sample sizes of past succes to predict victory in-game, in-series, or vs. a batter/pitcher, I would suggest crossing over to being analytically minded immediately.
                    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

                    1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

                    1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015


                    The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Matthew C. View Post
                      Assuming that you are equating Moneyball with sabermetrics...

                      Nothing could be further from the truth. Sample size and context are the backbones of which baseball analytics were founded. People like the ones you are describing above that ignore sample size and contextual factors, tend to be "baseball people" like Tony LaRussa and Joe Morgan, who go with their guts and small sampling. Sabermetricians tear apart people when they use pitcher-batter matchups to say a guy is getting "owned." Entire chapters of prominent sabermetric books (The Book" Playing the Percentages, for example) were written just to tear down the notions you are describing. If you hate people using small sample sizes of past succes to predict victory in-game, in-series, or vs. a batter/pitcher, I would suggest crossing over to being analytically minded immediately.
                      Could not agree more. As for worst analyst, Joe Morgan by a landslide.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Joe Morgan is one of my favorite analysts. I like the stories that he tells and some of them can only come from the actual experience of being a MLB player for so long.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                          I would like to nominate Dan Shaughnessy as a bad analyst.

                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ij0ovv8AUw
                          Wow, was that ever bad. I'm still laughing. Good one.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Tyrus4189Cobb View Post
                            It seems all of the analysts on MLBN, ESPN, or wherever try to follow the Moneyball train of thought with numbers, but they use them so meaninglessly and try to get so technical that their ignorance (or whomever is devising them) angers me.
                            I mentioned this once before but how about ESPN's Jim Bowden and his fancy pants new stat, OPSBI?

                            I get asked all the time which two or three common statistics I would pick to evaluate a team or players. My quick answer would be the following:

                            1. For a team: Run differential
                            2. For a hitter: OPS + RBIs, or OPSBIs
                            3. For a pitcher: ERA, WHIP, SO
                            Bowden's article:
                            http://espn.go.com/blog/the-gms-offi...-teams-players
                            The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              MLB Network - Dave Valle is the worst - why is this guy on here? He seems to know next to nothing outside of the Mariners - he cannot go a segment without inserting them in some way - shows me he knows nothing outside of that region...as for Mitch Williams, I actually like him, brings humor to the shows...not afraid to poke fun at himself

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X