Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is "Pudge" a common nickname for catchers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is "Pudge" a common nickname for catchers?

And if so, why? (I've heard of two with that nickname - Ivan Rodriguez and Carlton Fisk)
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Mebbe.

Cuz they tend to be stout.

Anything else? That will be 10 cents please.

Comment

Fisk wasn't stout tho...:ooo:

Comment

Fisk was a pudgy kid and the nickname stuck. Rodriguez was called Pudge as a homage to Fisk.

Comment

Originally posted by Macker View Post
          Fisk was a pudgy kid and the nickname stuck. Rodriguez was called Pudge as a homage to Fisk.
          Except these days, I never hear Fisk referred to as Pudge, Rodriguez almost always is, which doesn't seem fair.

At least Albert Pujols gets it. He doesn't want to be called "El Hombre", because Stan Musial is "The Man". Rodriguez apparently isn't bothered by the fact he appropriated his nickname. To be fair, Rodriguez didn't nickname himself as far as I know, but still. If he must be Pudge, he should be "Pudge Light", or maybe "PED Pudge" or something.
          They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Macker View Post
            Rodriguez was called Pudge as a homage to Fisk.
            Really? I didn't know that. Well there goes my rationale for starting this thread. :blush:
            It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
              Except these days, I never hear Fisk referred to as Pudge, Rodriguez almost always is, which doesn't seem fair.

At least Albert Pujols gets it. He doesn't want to be called "El Hombre", because Stan Musial is "The Man". Rodriguez apparently isn't bothered by the fact he appropriated his nickname. To be fair, Rodriguez didn't nickname himself as far as I know, but still. If he must be Pudge, he should be "Pudge Light", or maybe "PED Pudge" or something.
              of course "the man" is a slightly more honorable name compared to pudge.
              I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X