Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is "Pudge" a common nickname for catchers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dominik
    replied
    Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    Except these days, I never hear Fisk referred to as Pudge, Rodriguez almost always is, which doesn't seem fair.

At least Albert Pujols gets it. He doesn't want to be called "El Hombre", because Stan Musial is "The Man". Rodriguez apparently isn't bothered by the fact he appropriated his nickname. To be fair, Rodriguez didn't nickname himself as far as I know, but still. If he must be Pudge, he should be "Pudge Light", or maybe "PED Pudge" or something.
    of course "the man" is a slightly more honorable name compared to pudge.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Laser Beam
    replied
    Originally posted by Macker View Post
    Rodriguez was called Pudge as a homage to Fisk.
    Really? I didn't know that. Well there goes my rationale for starting this thread. :blush:

Leave a comment:

• ol' aches and pains
    replied
    Originally posted by Macker View Post
    Fisk was a pudgy kid and the nickname stuck. Rodriguez was called Pudge as a homage to Fisk.
    Except these days, I never hear Fisk referred to as Pudge, Rodriguez almost always is, which doesn't seem fair.

At least Albert Pujols gets it. He doesn't want to be called "El Hombre", because Stan Musial is "The Man". Rodriguez apparently isn't bothered by the fact he appropriated his nickname. To be fair, Rodriguez didn't nickname himself as far as I know, but still. If he must be Pudge, he should be "Pudge Light", or maybe "PED Pudge" or something.

Leave a comment:

• Macker
    replied
    Fisk was a pudgy kid and the nickname stuck. Rodriguez was called Pudge as a homage to Fisk.

Leave a comment:

• Joltin' Joe
    replied
    Fisk wasn't stout tho...:ooo:

Leave a comment:

• CandlestickBum
    replied
    Mebbe.

Cuz they tend to be stout.

Anything else? That will be 10 cents please.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Laser Beam
    started a topic Is "Pudge" a common nickname for catchers?

Is "Pudge" a common nickname for catchers?

And if so, why? (I've heard of two with that nickname - Ivan Rodriguez and Carlton Fisk)

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X