Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why do people still hate Derek Jeter so much??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why do people still hate Derek Jeter so much??

the guy has 5 rings and is one of the best players in MLB history

yet still i hear people hating on him all the time. maybe it's because I live in New England but still....the guy is top 20 in hits and runs if i recall correct and h e'll win up in top 10 both by the time his career is done

guy is also on fire this year!

1. I do not think most people who have not embraced Jeter are full of hatred for him. I think people have some cognitive dissonance with him. The hype surrounding him is akin to that of guys like Ruth and Mantle and Dimaggio; vastly superior Yankees. When in reality, Jeter is a solid HOFer, but not in the upper-pantheon of greats as many Yankee fans and media experts would like for everybody to believe. People just think reality does not match with perception. He has been the face of MLB, despite a number of players being better over the same period of time. That will rub a lot of people the wrong way.

2. His Yankeenes has helped his reputation, no doubt. But the Yankees also bring out the most jealous fans. Everybody wishes they had 26 titles and 90+ wins every year and owners who spend gazillions of dollars every year (even if they deny it publicly). As the face of the Yankees, Jeter has taken the full force of the jealousy.

3. I have no doubt that Jeter is no angel nor do I doubt what Savay said about him personally. But the league is full of jerks, and few draw the amount of attention that Jeter does. I don't think most people know about these transgressions nor do I think they are a major reason why so many dislike him.
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Most seasons 4.5 WAR (all-star level) with 100+ G at shortstop
      Code:
      Rk                     Yrs From   To   Age
      1         Honus Wagner  11 1903 1915 29-41 H
      2        Pee Wee Reese   9 1942 1954 23-35 H
      3          Derek Jeter   8 1997 2009 23-35
      4       Alex Rodriguez   8 1996 2003 20-27
      5         Barry Larkin   8 1988 1999 24-35 H
      6           Cal Ripken   8 1983 1991 22-30 H
      7         Luke Appling   8 1935 1949 28-42 H
      8         Arky Vaughan   8 1933 1940 21-28 H
      9         George Davis   8 1897 1907 26-36 H
      10       Alan Trammell   7 1980 1990 22-32
      11   Nomar Garciaparra   6 1997 2003 23-29
      12         Ozzie Smith   6 1985 1991 30-36 H
      13         Jim Fregosi   6 1964 1970 22-28
      14         Ernie Banks   6 1955 1960 24-29 H
      15          Joe Cronin   6 1930 1941 23-34 H
      16       Bobby Wallace   6 1899 1908 25-34 H
      17         Bill Dahlen   6 1896 1905 26-35
      Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam, circumspice.

Comprehensive Reform for the Veterans Committee -- Fixing the Hall continued.

Comment

In answer to the original question, it can't be "everybody;" because I, for one, don't "hate" him at all. One thing I always noticed, aside from all the other garbage in the media, was the fact that the bull in a china shop that personified George Steinbrenner seemed always quite respectful toward Jeter. He's a [was] young guy, with good looks and smarts and knows how to work the media without getting muddied in the process. He is what older generations referred to as a "class act."

As far as the 3,000 the hit ball and all the drama surrounding it, I haven't been in the intimate company of either Jeter or the fan who retrieved the ball and gave it to him. Therefore having NOT been there, I don't see how I can ASSUME anything that happened [or didn't, for that matter].

What I DO know, however,is that back in 1996 Jeter created a foundation that, as of a few years ago, had contributed some $16 million in programs to help keep kids in school, out of gangs, away from drugs and alcohol ... and helping rehab those who had fallen be the wayside before there were such programs to help them.

He also has recruited, organized and hosted golf tournaments, involving MLB, NFL and NBA players in raising more millions for charity. A look at his family background just suggests credibility.

I would not DARE bet a stale English muffin on how certain I am that Jeter did nothing personal [and PRIVATE] to benefit the fan who gave him the ball.

Morevover, it's none of my business what he did: It ain't my hit; it ain't my ball; it ain't my money ... and I'm not about t lose sleep over it either.

Comment

-He's not even a top 15 position player of the last 20 years yet gets hyped as the best. While better players like Jim Edmonds or Vladimir Guerruero are over looked.
          -His compiler stats and records are entirely due to playing for the Yankees and being in loaded lineups every year
          -Most years he's been the 3rd or 4th best player IN HIS OWN INFIELD
          -He's arguable the worst fielding SS in modern baseball yet has 5 Gold Gloves????????

How could anyone but Yankee fans not hate Derek Jeter? He personifies everything real sports fans hate: Over the top media hype based on nothing.
          Last edited by BondsOverBabe; 04-18-2012, 10:33 PM.

Comment

I agree with what others have said already. Excessive hype (which Jeter gets plenty of) inevitably creates backlash, either because familiarity breeds contempt, or because people don't like the feeling that they're being told what to think about someone.

When you have a guy like Jeter who can basically do no wrong in the eyes of the media (I read that someone on ESPN once called him the greatest shortstop in MLB history), who rarely gets criticized for his shortcomings, who constantly gets force-fed to you as if he were the walking embodiment of everything that's good about the game, it's enough to make you sick of him. He's the Brett Favre of baseball.

I remember my early days as a baseball fan, namely the mid-to-late '90s. Back then, Cal Ripken Jr. was that guy, and I couldn't quite explain it at the time, but I developed a loathing for him. My views on him have softened since then, and I even attended his final game at Comiskey Park, but when I was about 14 or 15 I couldn't stand him.

On a side note, it always amuses me that some Yankee fans seem so sensitive about people hating their team or players. Don't they understand that the more successful you are, the more haters you're going to have? It just comes with the territory.
            Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

"Still"?

Oh, please. No one hates Jeter. We don't even know him. And you know as well as I do why people find his public persona and attendant publicity annoying.

Is this more Blackout humor, like calling Pedroia and Youkilis your favorite mediocre players?

That "still" in the question is a nice touch.
              Last edited by Jackaroo Dave; 04-19-2012, 02:08 AM.
              Indeed the first step toward finding out is to acknowledge you do not satisfactorily know already; so that no blight can so surely arrest all intellectual growth as the blight of cocksureness.--CS Peirce

Comment

Five Gold Gloves is a reason that people hate Jeter? Did he award those GG's to himself?
                They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                  Five Gold Gloves is a reason that people hate Jeter? Did he award those GG's to himself?
                  I think if Jeter's Gold Glove's bothers some then there are more than a few dozen other players that might get under our skin.

Comment

Yes, "some", I say some, Yankee fans do overrate Jeter. Even if Jeter was a home town favorite and was not all his own fans believed him to be, if it wasn't for that NY on his uniform it wouldn't bother some as much as it does.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
                      Yes, "some", I say some, Yankee fans do overrate Jeter. Even if Jeter was a home town favorite and was not all his own fans believed him to be, if it wasn't for that NY on his uniform it wouldn't bother some as much as it does.
                      I have never met a Yankee fan that didn't overrate the hell out of Jeter.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackout View Post

yet still i hear people hating on him all the time. maybe it's because I live in New England but still....the guy is top 20 in hits and runs if i recall correct and h e'll win up in top 10 both by the time his career is done

Posts and threads like this are part of the reason why.

Comment

Maybe it's more of what do people hate about the Yankees. I for one am impressed by Jeter stepping up and being the face of the team he grew up rooting for and handled the pressure of it to the tune of a HoF career. That said I hate the Yankees but like the fact they at least have an unquestioned leader and aren't all hired mercenaries.

Why do I hate them... simple, my Dad did. I really think that's where a lot of peoples dislike comes from... and I think it's good for baseball honestly. The Yankees were a slimy organization before Steinbrenner. Still it's not the players fault. I respect the talent, not the management.
                          "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

People hate Jeter because they're jealous of him. Nothing more, nothing less.
                            It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Comment

because he is a yankee. you either love them or hate them.
                              I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X