Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Between good starting pitcher vs. a good closer, which is more important for a team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TonyK
    replied
    Weak starters mean tired middle relievers which means giving up plenty of runs. You won't need the great closer very much since you are almost always playing from behind. A good example of this is the Boston Red Sox in the Dick Radatz era in the early 1960s.

Leave a comment:

• Blue387
    replied
    I have a few quibbles but if forced to choose, I chose a strong rotation. The rotation gives you more innings and could pitch a complete game if needed.

If I do have a strong rotation, does that mean I have a bad bullpen? And if I chose closer, what about my rotation?

Leave a comment:

• Between good starting pitcher vs. a good closer, which is more important for a team

Lights-out closer
    11.11%
    Solid Rotation
    88.89%
    I've had this discussion with a friend, and I said I would rather have a starter. If you have a good starter that can go deep into games, like the 7th or 8th inning, and you give him a lead of 2-3 runs, which is entirely possible, you'll win a lot of games even with a mediocre (mind you, that doesn't blow a 2-3 run lead every night) bullpen.

My friend chose the closer as being more important as he comes in when the game is on time line, within 3 runs, and if he blows it take game is over and if you don't have a good closer you'll end up losing a lot of close ballgames where the starters get knocked out early.

So if you had to choose only one, would you rather build a team on a lights-out closer or a solid starting rotation?

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X