Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you play high school or college baseball with a future major leaguer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herr28
    replied
    4-6-3. Again.
    Last edited by Herr28; 09-03-2013, 07:02 AM. Reason: Double post

Leave a comment:

• Herr28
    replied
    Originally posted by Cap78 View Post
    My father in law was the school superintendent at the time when casey was in hs...my brother in law was friends with him
    That is pretty cool. I don't recall ever hearing his name at the time, though I also have no idea where he would have been playing on the field. I do know that those suburbs of Des Moines that had the money were always the big rival school for Ames. There was a doubleheader at one where a kid playing third was tearing us up something fierce, but I don't know if that would have been him or not. We had our names on our jerseys, but not all the schools did that, not that I was expecting to see any of those guys on TV later in life anyway!

One of those 'burbs around DSM was just in the Little League World Series not long ago. I watched them beat up on a town from Michigan, then lost track. I know they didn't make it, I saw something at the gym where they were listing off the last few rounds and the Iowa team was out by then.

Leave a comment:

• Jon_D
    replied
    Josh Anderson and I might've played together in little league or even High School, but it's not very likely since he's three or four years younger than me.

My junior and senior years of high school, though, I got to play against NFL overall number one draft pick Tim Couch, twice. Leslie County throttled us in both those meetings but I came close to sacking Couch once. :b

Anderson and I both attended Eastern Kentucky University (where Earl Combs is buried) though. =)

Leave a comment:

• Cap78
    replied
    Originally posted by Herr28 View Post
    I was told, though years later, that we played against Casey Blake in a state of Iowa championship tournament in 1991 or so. He lievd outside Des Moines, and all through high school we played his teams, but I didn't know him. My buddy, was our C once upon a time but was then a bartender 10-15 years later, told me about it. I followed Casey's career after that, just to see how he was doing. I really had no idea he was from Iowa.

In 1994, I coached my sister's 7-8th grade girls softball team. A star C on another team was a girl with the last name McNertney. I had just read Ball Four a year or so before that, and remembered the name of Pilot's C Jerry McNertney. In the book it was mentioned he was from my neck of the woods, so I looked him up and sure enough he lived in Ames, Iowa. He was born down the road in Boone, and went to Iowa State before going off to a 9 year career as a C in MLB. This was his daughter, I was told. I thought she would have to be his granddaughter, but I didn't argue. He was at the games, and became the first former MLB player I met outside of a stadium. The McNertney girl was awesome, too. Someone had certainly been working with her!
    My father in law was the school superintendent at the time when casey was in hs...my brother in law was friends with him

Leave a comment:

• Death to Crawling Things
    replied
    My dad did (though I want mention the name, due to my paranoia of people easily knowing exactly where I live)

Leave a comment:

• machinehead11
    replied
    Originally posted by MManchester68 View Post
    I pitched against Chris Hatcher in high school in 1987. He was a career minor leaguer who had a quick cup-of-coffee in Kansas City when rosters were expanded at the end of the '98 season. His call-up was due to a AAA season in Omaha that saw him hit .309 with 46HR and 106 RBI.

In the first game of our double header he hit 2 of the longest homeruns I'd ever seen in person, into the back yard of the people living beyond the left field fence. I faced him twice in the second game, and although he was 0-2, it's only because he just got under 2 fastballs that ended up being fly ball outs to left. He apparently wasn't used to anyone throwing with that little velocity and it threw his timing off, otherwise I think those balls would have traveled OVER that house based on the height of the outs.

He went on to have a good collegiate career at Iowa, as well as a very respectable minor league career.
    I met Chris in '93 when he played for the Jackson Generals. Very nice guy. Still have the card he signed for me.

Leave a comment:

• Herr28
    replied
    I was told, though years later, that we played against Casey Blake in a state of Iowa championship tournament in 1991 or so. He lievd outside Des Moines, and all through high school we played his teams, but I didn't know him. My buddy, was our C once upon a time but was then a bartender 10-15 years later, told me about it. I followed Casey's career after that, just to see how he was doing. I really had no idea he was from Iowa.

In 1994, I coached my sister's 7-8th grade girls softball team. A star C on another team was a girl with the last name McNertney. I had just read Ball Four a year or so before that, and remembered the name of Pilot's C Jerry McNertney. In the book it was mentioned he was from my neck of the woods, so I looked him up and sure enough he lived in Ames, Iowa. He was born down the road in Boone, and went to Iowa State before going off to a 9 year career as a C in MLB. This was his daughter, I was told. I thought she would have to be his granddaughter, but I didn't argue. He was at the games, and became the first former MLB player I met outside of a stadium. The McNertney girl was awesome, too. Someone had certainly been working with her!

Leave a comment:

• SDL
    replied
    Played Jr. high baseball with John Ryder, later the bass player for 80s band Face To Face.

Played softball with former A's/Rangers IFer Jimmy Driscoll

Leave a comment:

• bluesky5
    replied
    Deleted Post
    Last edited by bluesky5; 08-28-2013, 11:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Grimm
    replied
    I played soccer with Ruben Amaro Jr. Best soccer player I've had the pleasure to have played with. If times were different, he may have taken a shot as a pro - but soccer was dying and there was no money in it. He took the route of his family, though he was nothing more than a waste of a roster spot. Now of course he's the GM of the Phillies.

Had he gone on to a full-time soccer career, I think he would have been awesome.

Leave a comment:

• Dude Paskert
    replied
    I only mention this because of the interesting background story...I played slow pitch in Dallas with a bunch of guys who played SP with Rick Parker in Lubbock. When I found this out, I commented that he must have been a superstar playing slow pitch, hitting the ball ten miles, and they said he was NOT a standout hitter at all then...just so fast that he was almost impossible to throw out at first. He did play amazing defense and had a cannon arm. I think they told me he was out of school and baseball at the time, but some coach knew him and convinced him to come to a JuCo and play, then he transferred to UTA. Rick didn't have much of a ML career, but it still surprises me that a guy with the talent to make the majors as an OFer wouldn't have been a dominant hitter in an industrial slow pitch league.

I do play 38+ baseball now with a guy who had a brief ML career, and he is SO much better than everybody else in the league.

Leave a comment:

• RuthMayBond
    replied
    The father of my daughter's friend played high school ball with Sal Bando

Leave a comment:

• O'sFan1997
    replied
    I got diagnosed with a heart condition freshman year so I didn't play any HS sports and I couldn't hit a lick so I doubt I was going to make it anyhow but I do remember playing little league ball against Brandon Guyer of the Rays. Was watching an O's game last spring and sure enough he gets his first homer in his first at bat against my O's. Was happy for him though as he's the first guy from my HS to make the bigs.

Leave a comment:

• MManchester68
    replied
    I pitched against Chris Hatcher in high school in 1987. He was a career minor leaguer who had a quick cup-of-coffee in Kansas City when rosters were expanded at the end of the '98 season. His call-up was due to a AAA season in Omaha that saw him hit .309 with 46HR and 106 RBI.

In the first game of our double header he hit 2 of the longest homeruns I'd ever seen in person, into the back yard of the people living beyond the left field fence. I faced him twice in the second game, and although he was 0-2, it's only because he just got under 2 fastballs that ended up being fly ball outs to left. He apparently wasn't used to anyone throwing with that little velocity and it threw his timing off, otherwise I think those balls would have traveled OVER that house based on the height of the outs.

He went on to have a good collegiate career at Iowa, as well as a very respectable minor league career.

Leave a comment:

• Bulldog19
    replied
    I played against Jake Odorizzi from Highland, IL when I was in high school. He was a year young than me. My senior year (his JR year) he was touching 94 and regularly throwing 92. We faced him in a conference game. I was catching when he hit a bomb. I had a teammate hit a bomb off of him and the only other hit for us was mine. I had two hits my senior year and one of them was off of Odorizzi. I tell people he "threw me a change up, but it looked like a fastball to me!"

Odorizzi is 4-0 at Triple A-Omaha for the Royals and I would probably expect he'll be in MLB at some point this year..

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X