Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who are your favorite announcers? And who are you least Favorite announcers?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Who are your favorite announcers? And who are you least Favorite announcers?

    Stats and the one marlins announcers and even michel kay and then Harold Reynolds are some of my favorites.

    Least Favorite is Joe Buck and then Vin sully the guy sounds like he is half asleep when announcing a game and also the boys over on ESPN annoy me.
    All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. -Unknown

    A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. -Nelson Mandela

  • #2
    Vin Sculley would have to be the best. Besides him I would go with Steve Stone, I've watched him do play by play in Chicago for getting nearly 30 years now. I do miss Harry Carey and I'm sure i'll miss Hawk Harrelson when he's gone but he's probably the worst one. Bob Uecker is a favorite of mine too but I hardly get a chance to listen to him. I really cant say much about any other team because I never listen to em unless the networks have em on and I pretty much hate all the network announcers. Excluding Bob Costas.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

    "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

    Comment


    • #3
      Vin's still the man

      http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...y_22492027&v=3

      http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...y_22380853&v=3

      http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...y_22675271&v=3
      I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
      - Walt Whitman

      Comment


      • #4
        Don't we have about four threads going on this topic?
        They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
          Don't we have about four threads going on this topic?
          Yes, and in a different forum... Can we move this to Between Innings?
          WAR? Prove it!

          Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

          Comment


          • #6
            Favorite: Jon Miller

            Least Favorite: Joe Buck, Tim McCarver, and Chris Berman. They are all equally putrid and I will always mute the TV if any of them are involved in the broadcast.
            My top 10 players:

            1. Babe Ruth
            2. Barry Bonds
            3. Ty Cobb
            4. Ted Williams
            5. Willie Mays
            6. Alex Rodriguez
            7. Hank Aaron
            8. Honus Wagner
            9. Lou Gehrig
            10. Mickey Mantle

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
              Favorite: Jon Miller

              Least Favorite: Joe Buck, Tim McCarver, and Chris Berman. They are all equally putrid and I will always mute the TV if any of them are involved in the broadcast.
              this is sage pickings

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by RaysFan_98 View Post
                Stats and the one marlins announcers and even michel kay and then Harold Reynolds are some of my favorites.

                Least Favorite is Joe Buck and then Vin sully the guy sounds like he is half asleep when announcing a game and also the boys over on ESPN annoy me.
                It's Vin Scully, not Sully, and if he sounds like he's half asleep, it's because he's 84 years old. He's also
                the best in the business, even now, although he's obviously not what he once was. He's the last of the old school, and a living institution. He's been the voice of Dodger Baseball for over 60 years.

                My favorites as of now are the Mets' announcing team of Gary Cohen, Keith Hernandez, and Ron Darling. They have just the right balance of useful information and entertaining conversation to liven up the game.

                I also enjoy Bob Costas when I can hear him, and I used to like Jon Miller when he was on the ESPN games.

                Least favorites are the usual suspects: Buck/McCarver, the Yankees' team of Michael Kay and his supporting cast of thousands of interchangeable color men, and worst of all, a tie between the Yankees' radio team of John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman, and the equally insufferable Chris Berman/Rick Sutcliffe on ESPN.
                Last edited by ol' aches and pains; 07-03-2012, 07:36 PM.
                They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

                Comment


                • #9
                  This is the third thread on this topic and I think its a safe bet that all of us will just say the same things we've said in those threads again and again. So be it.

                  John Sterling and Michael Kay are my favorites, as they are old familiar friends since the early 90s who together gave me the greatest broadcast moments in my adult experience as a Yankees fan, and for that they have my eternal gratitude. When they teamed up again Sunday on Old Timers Day to emcee the proceedings it was a warm reminder of how well they worked together on radio from 92-01 and how both know and appreciate Yankee history and tradition. It's too bad they've worked more years separately now, but I'm glad they're both still there to provide that continuity with the Yankee dynasty period.

                  The least? Well, so long as Hawk Harrelson continues to be active he'll have that honor. Jon Miller and Joe Morgan I avoided for 20 years as they became the things that wouldn't go away on Sunday nights and now Buck and McCarver hold that distinction. The same-old one-note style of Fox as the only means of broadcasting a World Series for the last 13 years has been horrible for baseball on all levels, especially one like me who remembers the glory period of network baseball from 1976-89 with NBC and ABC.

                  But as insufferable as the Fox style has become, the absolute worst team is the TBS trio of Ernie Johnson-John Smoltz-Ron Darling. I utterly dread postseason baseball called by a guy who can't even follow the ball on a TV monitor and two analysts who will wear their Yankee bashing on their sleeves at every chance they can get. Thank goodness for local radio during the postseason and John and Suzyn!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The late Skip Caray of the Braves
                    Vin Scully
                    Eric Nadel and the late Mark Holtz of the Texas Rangers
                    Jerry Remy (sorry for the spelling) I love that Boston accent

                    Least Favorites:
                    Tim McCarver
                    Joe Buck
                    Joe Morgan
                    Last edited by MLB4LYF; 07-03-2012, 10:01 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by epaddon View Post
                      This is the third thread on this topic and I think its a safe bet that all of us will just say the same things we've said in those threads again and again. So be it.

                      John Sterling and Michael Kay are my favorites, as they are old familiar friends since the early 90s who together gave me the greatest broadcast moments in my adult experience as a Yankees fan, and for that they have my eternal gratitude. When they teamed up again Sunday on Old Timers Day to emcee the proceedings it was a warm reminder of how well they worked together on radio from 92-01 and how both know and appreciate Yankee history and tradition. It's too bad they've worked more years separately now, but I'm glad they're both still there to provide that continuity with the Yankee dynasty period.

                      The least? Well, so long as Hawk Harrelson continues to be active he'll have that honor. Jon Miller and Joe Morgan I avoided for 20 years as they became the things that wouldn't go away on Sunday nights and now Buck and McCarver hold that distinction. The same-old one-note style of Fox as the only means of broadcasting a World Series for the last 13 years has been horrible for baseball on all levels, especially one like me who remembers the glory period of network baseball from 1976-89 with NBC and ABC.

                      But as insufferable as the Fox style has become, the absolute worst team is the TBS trio of Ernie Johnson-John Smoltz-Ron Darling. I utterly dread postseason baseball called by a guy who can't even follow the ball on a TV monitor and two analysts who will wear their Yankee bashing on their sleeves at every chance they can get. Thank goodness for local radio during the postseason and John and Suzyn!
                      I couldn't agree with you more on your least favorites of the broadcasters, your mentioning of Michael Kay and John Sterling reminds me of the great pairing of announcers the Rangers had with Eric Nadel and Mark Holtz whose familiar tagline whenever the Rangers won was "And hello win column" .

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I forgot to mention the clown on the White Sox broadcasting team. I forget his name, but he is godawful. The guy who yells "put it on the board...YES" and criticizes the umps. He's even worse than the 3 guys I mentioned.
                        My top 10 players:

                        1. Babe Ruth
                        2. Barry Bonds
                        3. Ty Cobb
                        4. Ted Williams
                        5. Willie Mays
                        6. Alex Rodriguez
                        7. Hank Aaron
                        8. Honus Wagner
                        9. Lou Gehrig
                        10. Mickey Mantle

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
                          I forgot to mention the clown on the White Sox broadcasting team. I forget his name, but he is godawful. The guy who yells "put it on the board...YES" and criticizes the umps. He's even worse than the 3 guys I mentioned.
                          Cmon how can ya not like these ones though?

                          1. He Gone
                          2. Sacks packed with Sox
                          3. Mercy...means a fine defensive play by a Whitesox player
                          4. Dont stop now boys
                          5. Can of corn
                          6. Ball four base hit
                          7. Chopper two hopper
                          8. Cinch it up and hunker down
                          9. Dadgum it
                          10. Dagum right
                          11. Duck snort
                          12. Duck fart...although I haven't heard him say this in awhile
                          13. Get foul...It will
                          14. Get foul...It wont
                          15. Hineybird

                          I just dont understand how he announces for a team who plays in the third biggest city in the USA.
                          "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

                          "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
                            I just dont understand how he announces for a team who plays in the third biggest city in the USA.
                            Don't feel bad. The second biggest city in the US is stuck with Steve Lyons.
                            I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
                            - Walt Whitman

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I fondly wish for the Supreme Court to consider Hawk Harrelson as a form of cruel and unusual punishment.
                              The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X