AL vs NL in terms of what league is "Better"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    The AL is obviously vastly superior. Over a much larger sample size called interleague play, the AL dominates the NL every single year.

A couple of AS games and WS games doesn't change that.
    Interleague play is irrelevant. The goal is to win the World Series- you of all people know that. The NL has won the WS 3 of the last 4 years and the ASG 3 straight years. The new pattern for a new century is clear. The AL is in decline. My Yankee fan friends tell me over and over again- nothing counts until the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
      Interleague play is irrelevant. The goal is to win the World Series- you of all people know that. The NL has won the WS 3 or the last 4 years and the ASG 3 straight years. The new pattern for a new century is clear. The AL is in decline. My Yankee fan friends tell me over and over again- nothing counts until the playoffs.
      I'm not going to take the bait this time. Sorry.

See post #10. I'm moving on.
      My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
      2. Barry Bonds
      3. Ty Cobb
      4. Ted Williams
      5. Willie Mays
      6. Alex Rodriguez
      7. Hank Aaron
      8. Honus Wagner
      9. Lou Gehrig
      10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Interleague play is irrelevant. The goal is to win the World Series- you of all people know that. The NL has won the WS 3 of the last 4 years and the ASG 3 straight years. The new pattern for a new century is clear. The AL is in decline. My Yankee fan friends tell me over and over again- nothing counts until the playoffs.
        The only World Series pattern I've seen in the 21st century is a bunch of lackluster Series's, that mainly show what a crapshoot the MLB post-season has devolved into.

Comment

Sample size, sample size, sample size, sample size. What two teams do in one seven-game series tells you next to nothing about the strength of the leagues as a whole. It's not even an argument of "best vs. best" because the two best teams hardly ever even get to play each other in the World Series anymore because of how much of a crapshoot the playoffs have become.

Comment

Well until there is balanced scheduling in interleague play, it won't tell us anything either. When the Yankees and Red Sox get weak NL teams year after year it can only help the AL.

Just remember, there's only a few big prizes given out each year. The World Series trophy means much more than a winning record against teams in the other league in May..
            Mike Hopper
            Former Gateway Grizzlies Intern

Comment

Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
              The only World Series pattern I've seen in the 21st century is a bunch of lackluster Series's, that mainly show what a crapshoot the MLB post-season has devolved into.
              Which leads us to a statement even more poignant to the thread...

Originally posted by Thatguyoverthere View Post
              Sample size, sample size, sample size, sample size. What two teams do in one seven-game series tells you next to nothing about the strength of the leagues as a whole. It's not even an argument of "best vs. best" because the two best teams hardly ever even get to play each other in the World Series anymore because of how much of a crapshoot the playoffs have become.
              Excellently said, imo.
              Put it in the books.

Comment

But that goes against what LI METS FAN's Yankee fan friends have told him when the AL teams (Yankees) do well.
                Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

As others have said, the AL is dominant by a pretty good margin. The World Series games may have a lot riding on them, but they don't tell you which league is dominant any more than an ordinary interleague game does. If you wanted to know which team weighs the most, would you just compare the weights of the heaviest player on each team? Of course not. You'd have to weigh all of the players.

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldog19 View Post
                    Well until there is balanced scheduling in interleague play, it won't tell us anything either. When the Yankees and Red Sox get weak NL teams year after year it can only help the AL.

Just remember, there's only a few big prizes given out each year. The World Series trophy means much more than a winning record against teams in the other league in May..
                    The scheduling can't account for all of the dominance, and things like that should even out over time (ie: the best NL teams facing the worst AL teams)

And it's also completely false. Take this year for example. The Yankees went 13-5 in interleague, but faced the Reds, Mets, Braves, and Nationals, who have a combined .555 winning percentage...

Comment

2010: AL won 134-118
                      2011: AL won 131-121
                      2012: AL won 142-110

That's a .538 winning percentage, which translates to 87 wins over a 162 game season.
                      This year it was a .563 winning percentage, which translates to 91 wins over a full season

Go back to 2005 and it's been 1121-895 AL, which is a .556 winning percentage, or 90 wins over a full season.

The AL has dominated. And 2000 games is a fairly large sample size, especially compared to World Series and All-Star games.
                      I'm glad you asked.

In 2012, the AL was 142-110 vs. the NL. This is a .563 winning %, equivalent to 91.2 wins over 162 games.

Over the last 3 years (2010-2012), the AL is 407-349 vs. the NL, a .538 winning %, equivalent to 87.2 wins over 162 games.

Over the last 5 years (2008-2012), the AL is 694-566 vs. the AL, a .551 winning %, equivalent to 89.2 wins over 162 games.

EDIT - LoL, thatguyoverthere beat me to it!
                      Originally posted by dgarza View Post
                      So it seems like it is starting to level out somewhat, or at least was, as 2012 is an upswing for the AL.

2005-2009 = .567 AL winning %
                      2010-2011 = .526 AL winning %
                      2010-2012 = .538 AL winning %
                      2012 = .563 AL winning %
                      I don't know why, but for some reason, and if it's not too difficult to look up, I'd be interested to know the home/road splits.
                      Put it in the books.

Comment

3. World Series is a very small sample size.
                        Also, the WS tells us nothing of the health or lack of health of the bottom of the barrel. The NL could win 10 World Series straight, but as long as Houston and San Diego exist as they currently do, the WS tell us little about the league as a whole.

Comment

Originally posted by dgarza View Post
                          2010-2012 Batting

AL
                          AVG = .258
                          SLG = .408
                          Total Hits = 50565
                          Hits/Team/Year = 1445 = 3.89 more per slot in the lineup per year
                          Total HRs = 5788
                          HRs/Team/Year = 165 = 1.78 more per slot in the lineup per year

NL
                          AVG = .254
                          SLG = .397
                          Total Hits = 56418
                          Hits/Team/Year = 1410
                          Total HRs = 5969
                          HRs/Team/Year = 149

Considering DH vs. pitcher, is this really a meaningful difference in hitting?

Of course, this isn't the whole picture, but I don't have time to look into pitching, base running, or defense.
                          Those stats include NL vs NL games and AL vs AL games, so they're pretty meaningless. The only stats that really matter are the interleague game stats.

Here are the interleague batting averages for the last 3 years...
                          AL (vs NL pitchers) - .269, .258, .269
                          NL (vs AL pitchers) - .251, .250, .251

Comment

Originally posted by ipitch View Post
                            Those stats include NL vs NL games and AL vs AL games, so they're pretty meaningless. The only stats that really matter are the interleague game stats.

Here are the interleague batting averages for the last 3 years...
                            AL (vs NL pitchers) - .269, .258, .269
                            NL (vs AL pitchers) - .251, .250, .251
                            Sorry to nitpick but batting average is pretty meaningless too. Though I'm sure the AL dominates in OBP and OPS too..
                            My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                            2. Barry Bonds
                            3. Ty Cobb
                            4. Ted Williams
                            5. Willie Mays
                            6. Alex Rodriguez
                            7. Hank Aaron
                            8. Honus Wagner
                            9. Lou Gehrig
                            10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Sorry to nitpick but batting average is pretty meaningless too. Though I'm sure the AL dominates in OBP and OPS too..
                              Right. I just used BA because dgarza did - to show the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
                                I don't know why, but for some reason, and if it's not too difficult to look up, I'd be interested to know the home/road splits.
                                I don't know about this year, but look at this article: http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...-better-league

The question: Why is the American League better? Let’s examine some of the possible reasons.

The DH rule gives the AL a big advantage.

This is a popular argument. AL teams get to run out sluggers such as David Ortiz or Victor Martinez or Vladimir Guerrero, while NL teams are stuck with backup outfielders and reserve infielders. Sure enough, according to the Elias Sports Bureau, in interleague play since 2006 AL teams are 414-255 at home (a .619 winning percentage) and 348-327 on the road (a .516 winning percentage). There you go, right?

Except … home teams have a natural home-field advantage anyway. In all games in 2010, home teams had a .559 winning percentage, road teams a .441 winning percentage. Do the math and you discover AL teams are playing 60 percentage points better at home compared to the 2010 overall percentage, but 75 percentage points better on the road.

Cross off the DH theory.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X