No announcement yet.

AL vs NL in terms of what league is "Better"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because I'm bored at work, I looked up the home/away records for interleague this year. The AL went 72-54 on the road (.571), and 70-56 at home (.555), so they actually performed slightly better without the DH.

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
      Sorry to nitpick but batting average is pretty meaningless too. Though I'm sure the AL dominates in OBP and OPS too..
      So what stats do matter? Just about anything that gets thrown out "doesn't matter."
      Mike Hopper
      Former Gateway Grizzlies Intern

Comment

A lot of conjecture. AL fans will certainly use the interleague results to declare the AL is a better league (and they are probably correct), NL Fans will use the fact that NL won the wonderful AS game (which is meaningless except that for some stupid reason it decides home advantage for the WS). Since inception of the AS game I believe NL has won 43-38 which could be used as an argument (weak as it is). The bottom line or be all end all of a baseball season is the WS so it can be argued that the NL has won the last 2 which makes the NL the best league at present (yes many say the best team does not always win the WS, but the best team over the whole playoffs does). Arguments can go back and forth, statistics used against results. What is the real answer? It depends what side of the fence we sit on. I am an NL fan so I am going to say the NL is the best but that does not mean I am right. It also does not mean I an wrong. Take your side and continue the debate.
        "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Comment

Originally posted by Thatguyoverthere View Post
          I don't know about this year, but look at this article: http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...-better-league

The question: Why is the American League better? Let’s examine some of the possible reasons.

The DH rule gives the AL a big advantage.

This is a popular argument. AL teams get to run out sluggers such as David Ortiz or Victor Martinez or Vladimir Guerrero, while NL teams are stuck with backup outfielders and reserve infielders. Sure enough, according to the Elias Sports Bureau, in interleague play since 2006 AL teams are 414-255 at home (a .619 winning percentage) and 348-327 on the road (a .516 winning percentage). There you go, right?

Except … home teams have a natural home-field advantage anyway. In all games in 2010, home teams had a .559 winning percentage, road teams a .441 winning percentage. Do the math and you discover AL teams are playing 60 percentage points better at home compared to the 2010 overall percentage, but 75 percentage points better on the road.

Cross off the DH theory.
          I beg to differ didn't help the Rays at all at home against the mets but they very nearly swept the Phillies at home. They seemed to play better away witout the DH rule lol our pitchers seemed to hit better then our position players lol.
          All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. -Unknown

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldog19 View Post
            So what stats do matter? Just about anything that gets thrown out "doesn't matter."
            The only stats that matter are ones accumulated during the world series, when the games "really count". Thus, Billy Hatcher > Joe Dimaggio.
            My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
            2. Barry Bonds
            3. Ty Cobb
            4. Ted Williams
            5. Willie Mays
            6. Alex Rodriguez
            7. Hank Aaron
            8. Honus Wagner
            9. Lou Gehrig
            10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by DownUnderDodger View Post
              The bottom line or be all end all of a baseball season is the WS so it can be argued that the NL has won the last 2 which makes the NL the best league at present
              The question is not "Which league has the best team?"
              League strength is better judged by looking at all the teams, not just the two that make it to the WS.

Comment

I don't know about this year, but look at this article: http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...-better-league

The question: Why is the American League better? Let’s examine some of the possible reasons.

The DH rule gives the AL a big advantage.

This is a popular argument. AL teams get to run out sluggers such as David Ortiz or Victor Martinez or Vladimir Guerrero, while NL teams are stuck with backup outfielders and reserve infielders. Sure enough, according to the Elias Sports Bureau, in interleague play since 2006 AL teams are 414-255 at home (a .619 winning percentage) and 348-327 on the road (a .516 winning percentage). There you go, right?

Except … home teams have a natural home-field advantage anyway. In all games in 2010, home teams had a .559 winning percentage, road teams a .441 winning percentage. Do the math and you discover AL teams are playing 60 percentage points better at home compared to the 2010 overall percentage, but 75 percentage points better on the road.

Cross off the DH theory.
                Great article.

Because I'm bored at work, I looked up the home/away records for interleague this year. The AL went 72-54 on the road (.571), and 70-56 at home (.555), so they actually performed slightly better without the DH.
                Well, that's that. Ther verdict's in, at least for this year. And, based on that article, we can safely assess that it's carried back to at least halfway through the last decade. Thanks for checking it out.

Originally posted by DownUnderDodger View Post
                A lot of conjecture. AL fans will certainly use the interleague results to declare the AL is a better league (and they are probably correct), NL Fans will use the fact that NL won the wonderful AS game (which is meaningless except that for some stupid reason it decides home advantage for the WS). Since inception of the AS game I believe NL has won 43-38 which could be used as an argument (weak as it is). The bottom line or be all end all of a baseball season is the WS so it can be argued that the NL has won the last 2 which makes the NL the best league at present (yes many say the best team does not always win the WS, but the best team over the whole playoffs does). Arguments can go back and forth, statistics used against results. What is the real answer? It depends what side of the fence we sit on. I am an NL fan so I am going to say the NL is the best but that does not mean I am right. It also does not mean I an wrong. Take your side and continue the debate.
                But it's not about a single game nor a best-of-seven series between two of the top teams. It's about the leagues' overall W/L records against each other.

Originally posted by RaysFan_98 View Post
                I beg to differ didn't help the Rays at all at home against the mets but they very nearly swept the Phillies at home. They seemed to play better away witout the DH rule lol our pitchers seemed to hit better then our position players lol.
                If you had continued to read on, you'd have seen that the DH theory was refuted by the author of the article. I suggest reading the whole article.

The only stats that matter are ones accumulated during the world series, when the games "really count". Thus, Billy Hatcher > Joe Dimaggio.
                But it's not about a single game nor a best-of-seven series between two of the top teams. It's about the leagues' overall W/L records against each other. ...Hm, where did I hear that before?

Originally posted by ipitch View Post
                The question is not "Which league has the best team?"
                League strength is better judged by looking at all the teams, not just the two that make it to the WS.
                Thank you.
                Put it in the books.

Comment

Sorry to nitpick but batting average is pretty meaningless too. Though I'm sure the AL dominates in OBP and OPS too..
                  I was curious, so I looked it up, though MLB.com only has specific interleague stats going back to 2011.

AL vs. NL 2011: .258/.320/.411/.731 with 745 XBH (255 HR), 1711 K, 172 SB (65 CS)
                  NL vs. AL 2011: .250/.311/.382/.693 with 666 XBH (208 HR), 1778 K, 163 SB (66 CS)

AL vs. NL 2012: .258/.325/.411/.736 with 717 XBH (279 HR), 1879 K, 161 SB (55 CS)
                  NL vs. AL 2012: .251//.314/.393/.707 with 714 XBH (232 HR), 1972 K, 187 SB (75 CS)

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
                    Great article.

Well, that's that. Ther verdict's in, at least for this year. And, based on that article, we can safely assess that it's carried back to at least halfway through the last decade. Thanks for checking it out.

But it's not about a single game nor a best-of-seven series between two of the top teams. It's about the leagues' overall W/L records against each other.

If you had continued to read on, you'd have seen that the DH theory was refuted by the author of the article. I suggest reading the whole article.

But it's not about a single game nor a best-of-seven series between two of the top teams. It's about the leagues' overall W/L records against each other. ...Hm, where did I hear that before?

Thank you.
                    I did read the whole thing but i was referring to just that part thus why i bolded it.
                    All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. -Unknown

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Originally posted by RaysFan_98 View Post
                      I did read the whole thing but i was referring to just that part thus why i bolded it.
                      But I'm just saying you needn't have disputed it, since the author himself found reason enough to refute it. I think the clue was his elaboration followed by, "Cross off the DH theory."
                      Put it in the books.

Comment

How is the interleague record if we take out the AL east out of the equation?

the AL is superior but I do have the feeling that most of the superiority comes from the AL east which is by far stronger than the other 2 divisions.
                        I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
                          How is the interleague record if we take out the AL east out of the equation?

the AL is superior but I do have the feeling that most of the superiority comes from the AL east which is by far stronger than the other 2 divisions.
                          2012:
                          ALC: 45-45 (.500)
                          ALW: 44-28 (.611)

2011:
                          ALC: 42-48 (.467)
                          ALW: 39-33 (.542)

2010:
                          ALC: 48-42 (.533)
                          ALW: 42-30 (.583)

2009:
                          ALC: 47-43 (.522)

2008:
                          ALC: 58-32 (.644)

2007:
                          ALC: 48-42 (.533)
                          ALW: 44-28 (.611)

2006:
                          ALC: 63-27 (.700)
                          ALW: 36-36 (.500)

2005:
                          ALC: 53-37 (.589)
                          ALW: 41-31 (.569)

So, since 2005 the ALC has gone 403-317 (.560), and the ALW has gone 324-252 (.563)

Since 2010, the ALC has gone 134-136 (.496) and the ALW has gone 125-91 (.579).

The ALC has clearly fallen off in the past few years (Cleveland has been particularly dreadful), but it dominated interleague play from 2005-2008. The ALW has always been pretty dominant in interleague, though, so your thesis isn't exactly right.

Comment

To contrast, here is the ALE interleague record since 2005:

2012: 53-37 (.589)
                            2011: 50-40 (.555)
                            2010: 45-45 (.500)
                            2009: 52-38 (.578)
                            2008: 52-38 (.578)
                            2007: 45-45 (.500)
                            2006: 55-35 (.611)
                            2005: 42-48 (.467)

Since 2005, the ALE has gone 394-326 (.547), and since 2010 the ALE has gone 148-122 (.548)

The ALW has actually been far better in interleague, and going back to 2005 the ALE has actually been the WORST of the three divisions.

Best interleague records by year:

2012: ALW, ALE, ALC
                            2011: ALE, ALW, ALC
                            2010: ALW, ALC, ALE
                            2009: ALE, ALW, ALC
                            2008: ALC, ALE, ALW
                            2007: ALW, ALC, ALE
                            2006: ALC, ALE, ALW
                            2005: ALC, ALW, ALE

Comment

Enjoy your dominance now ALers. Next year you get the Astros.
                              I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
                              - Walt Whitman

Comment

why was this moved?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X