Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• milladrive
    replied
    Well, it seems pretty obvious to me the AL is the stronger league, and it's been so for several years. At the risk of bringing up the decaying horse, I can't help but wonder if honing the use of the DH has had something to do with it.

Leave a comment:

• dgarza
    replied
    Originally posted by Thatguyoverthere View Post
    2010: AL won 134-118
    2011: AL won 131-121
    2012: AL won 142-110

That's a .538 winning percentage, which translates to 87 wins over a 162 game season.
    This year it was a .563 winning percentage, which translates to 91 wins over a full season

Go back to 2005 and it's been 1121-895 AL, which is a .556 winning percentage, or 90 wins over a full season.

The AL has dominated. And 2000 games is a fairly large sample size, especially compared to World Series and All-Star games.
    So it seems like it is starting to level out somewhat, or at least was, as 2012 is an upswing for the AL.

2005-2009 = .567 AL winning %
    2010-2011 = .526 AL winning %
    2010-2012 = .538 AL winning %
    2012 = .563 AL winning %

Leave a comment:

• GiambiJuice
    replied
    Originally posted by dgarza View Post
    What are the records recently, say they last 2-3 years?

Interleague play is in its 16 season.
    The NL/AL from 1997... from 2002... from 2007.... is not the same NL/AL in 2012.
    I'm glad you asked.

In 2012, the AL was 142-110 vs. the NL. This is a .563 winning %, equivalent to 91.2 wins over 162 games.

Over the last 3 years (2010-2012), the AL is 407-349 vs. the NL, a .538 winning %, equivalent to 87.2 wins over 162 games.

Over the last 5 years (2008-2012), the AL is 694-566 vs. the AL, a .551 winning %, equivalent to 89.2 wins over 162 games.

EDIT - LoL, thatguyoverthere beat me to it!

Leave a comment:

• Thatguyoverthere
    replied
    Originally posted by dgarza View Post

The NL/AL from 1997... from 2002... from 2007.... is not the same NL/AL in 2012.
    2010: AL won 134-118
    2011: AL won 131-121
    2012: AL won 142-110

That's a .538 winning percentage, which translates to 87 wins over a 162 game season.
    This year it was a .563 winning percentage, which translates to 91 wins over a full season

Go back to 2005 and it's been 1121-895 AL, which is a .556 winning percentage, or 90 wins over a full season.

The AL has dominated. And 2000 games is a fairly large sample size, especially compared to World Series and All-Star games.

Leave a comment:

• dgarza
    replied
    Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    The AL is obviously vastly superior. Over a much larger sample size called interleague play, the AL dominates the NL every single year.

Leave a comment:

• GiambiJuice
    replied
    Originally posted by Bulldog19 View Post
    Yep, 12% difference in winning is a "vastly superior" group.

I love how the AL likes to tell the NL how "superior" it is but when the "best of the best" from each league match up it doesn't matter. Good call.
    1. Um, yeah. 12% is a big difference and the AL has a better record EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Coincidence?
    2. We are talking about the leagues as a whole. AL vs. NL. That doesn't mean the best team can't be in the NL.
    3. World Series is a very small sample size.
    4. The NL has won the last two, that's not a streak. AL won 4 out of 6 before that. So what?
    5. The "best team" doesn't always win the world series. In fact it usually doesn't.
    6. Small sample size alert. You are really trying to disprove more than a decade of AL dominance, over 250+ games per year, by saying the NL won the last two WS and AS games? That doesn't make any sense at all.

Leave a comment:

• Bulldog19
    replied
    Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    The AL is obviously vastly superior. Over a much larger sample size called interleague play, the AL dominates the NL every single year.

A couple of AS games and WS games doesn't change that.
    Yep, 12% difference in winning is a "vastly superior" group.

I love how the AL likes to tell the NL how "superior" it is but when the "best of the best" from each league match up it doesn't matter. Good call.

Leave a comment:

• GiambiJuice
    replied

A couple of AS games and WS games doesn't change that.

Leave a comment:

• dgarza
    replied
    2010-2012 Batting

AL
    AVG = .258
    SLG = .408
    Total Hits = 50565
    Hits/Team/Year = 1445 = 3.89 more per slot in the lineup per year
    Total HRs = 5788
    HRs/Team/Year = 165 = 1.78 more per slot in the lineup per year

NL
    AVG = .254
    SLG = .397
    Total Hits = 56418
    Hits/Team/Year = 1410
    Total HRs = 5969
    HRs/Team/Year = 149

Considering DH vs. pitcher, is this really a meaningful difference in hitting?

Of course, this isn't the whole picture, but I don't have time to look into pitching, base running, or defense.

Leave a comment:

• Bulldog19
    replied
    Originally posted by Thatguyoverthere View Post
    Two pitchers gave up the 8 runs scored in yesterday's game, the play of two players in two innings of a glorified exhibition game hardly tells you about the strength of either league. The NL may have won the last two championships, and the last three All-star games, but that's a total of what - 14 games? Meanwhile, the AL has dominated interleague for awhile now (and 142-110 this year is pretty dominant), which is hundreds of games per year. The AL is pretty clearly the superior league.
    Okay, but consider this. Since they started this whole "it counts" thing the AL had dominated the All-Star Game until the last three years. Obviously we don't know what will happen this year, but even though the AL has had home field advantage for so many years simply because of this game, they have only won 4 World Series Championships. (2002 would make it 5, but don't remember when "it counts" started...)

Really I don't see a 56%-44% split to be that "dominant."

Leave a comment:

• Thatguyoverthere
    replied
    Two pitchers gave up the 8 runs scored in yesterday's game, the play of two players in two innings of a glorified exhibition game hardly tells you about the strength of either league. The NL may have won the last two championships, and the last three All-star games, but that's a total of what - 14 games? Meanwhile, the AL has dominated interleague for awhile now (and 142-110 this year is pretty dominant), which is hundreds of games per year. The AL is pretty clearly the superior league.

Leave a comment:

• LI METS FAN
    replied
    chicagowhitesox1173;2035195]Hopefully Sale didn't throw too many pitches, along with Peavy. I could care less who wins or who is better.

Agreed. Fans of a particular team think their league is better. The NL is better because the pitching is better and there is no DH, or the AL is better because the batters hit more home runs and there is a DH for bad fielders, good hitters. (This NL fan loves Robin Ventura though, the White Sox are lucky to have him)

Leave a comment:

• chicagowhitesox1173
    replied
    Hopefully Sale didn't throw too many pitches, along with Peavy. I could care less who wins or who is better.

Leave a comment:

• RaysFan_98
    replied
    I think if price would have started it would have been a different story or even if sale would have gotten the nod.

Leave a comment:

• Blackout
    started a topic AL vs NL in terms of what league is "Better"

AL vs NL in terms of what league is "Better"

i think the AL has better quality teams

but a few friends of mine think the NL is better because they won the last 2 WS's and ASG's

i think that's ridiculous to base it on just that

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X