X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Barrie
    replied
    Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
    I think Tito got in trouble because he wore a pullover that was somehow not "official", unlike a warmup jacket with a zipper. Francona tried to say it was more comfortable for him because of one of the health problems he was dealing with, basically asking for a medical exemption, but no dice. It seemed so silly, but I guess that's how MLB officials justify their jobs.

I guess I can't say exactly why it would look funny to me to have people in street clothes in coaching boxes...maybe because they are actually part of play at times, sending runners or calling them back on pickoffs. Guess it's probably just what I'm used to.
    Francona wore a pullover instead of a uniform top, even when appearing in the Opening Day lineup. I wasn't aware of Showalter's doing this years ago. Two others who often wear pullovers are Leyland and Sciosia.

In my lifetime, Mack and Shotton didn't wear uniforms. Shotton did wear a team cap, and a team windbreaker when it was cool enough. Neither could go out on the field during a game, but this didn't cause trouble, as I recall.

Leave a comment:

• Dude Paskert
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
    ^ No, Tito always wore a full uniform. He wore the jacket OVER the uniform.

Like I said, during a game, MLB rules require anyone on the field to wear a full uniform. All the players, coaches, and the manager must wear one. They can't set foot on the field without it.
    I think Tito got in trouble because he wore a pullover that was somehow not "official", unlike a warmup jacket with a zipper. Francona tried to say it was more comfortable for him because of one of the health problems he was dealing with, basically asking for a medical exemption, but no dice. It seemed so silly, but I guess that's how MLB officials justify their jobs.

I guess I can't say exactly why it would look funny to me to have people in street clothes in coaching boxes...maybe because they are actually part of play at times, sending runners or calling them back on pickoffs. Guess it's probably just what I'm used to.

Leave a comment:

• epaddon
    replied
    Starting with Buck Showalter with the Yankees, I've seen my share of managers who clearly are wearing a jacket and no regular uniform top underneath. There used to be a running joke that Yankee fans never knew what number Showalter wore because they never saw him without a jacket. I think this fudging of the rule is the only one you're allowed to get away with.

I don't think there should be any change for baseball managers wearing uniforms. OTOH, I think NFL coaches should go back to wearing suits and get away from the Bill Belicheck look!

Leave a comment:

• White Knight
    replied
    Rock the suit and tie, Connie Mack style!

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Laser Beam
    replied
    ^ No, Tito always wore a full uniform. He wore the jacket OVER the uniform.

Like I said, during a game, MLB rules require anyone on the field to wear a full uniform. All the players, coaches, and the manager must wear one. They can't set foot on the field without it.

Leave a comment:

• TommieAgeefan
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
    They already are.

Some wear jackets on top of the uniform (Terry Francona always did) but MLB rules require all managers to wear uniforms the same as the players do.
    WRT Mr. Francona, the controversy seemed to be that he wore a jacket in lieu of a uniform shirt. Dunno if it was every proven, and it doesn't matter now, as he is now only seen wearing a suit and tie on ESPN

(A sign you are getting old, a person that you saw play in college (saw Terry play for Arizona against my USC Trojans in the 70s) is now retired (somewhat) as a MLB manager, after playing for several years in the majors.)

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Laser Beam
    replied
    Originally posted by rodnok1 View Post

I think they should be required to wear uniforms...
    They already are.

Some wear jackets on top of the uniform (Terry Francona always did) but MLB rules require all managers to wear uniforms the same as the players do.

Leave a comment:

• Tadasimha
    replied
    Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
    If you extended this to coaches, they'd look funny coaching the bases and working with the pitchers in the pen wearing street clothes. If the coaches wear uniforms and the manager doesn't...well, that seems odd and might drive some kind of wedge between the manager and his staff. I don't see this one changing.
    Besides, if you're going to have players like Terry Forster wearing uniforms, it's hard to complain about how bad the managers look.
    Would it really look that funny if the coaching staff was out on the field wearing a pair of khakis with a team polo shirt or jacket and their helmet? Have the manager and pitching coach in the same uniform look? It would take some getting used to, yes, but I don't think it would look that out of place.

Given how many managers and coaches are former players, I don't think it's going to happen. They all want to still be uniform.

Leave a comment:

• Dude Paskert
    replied
    If you extended this to coaches, they'd look funny coaching the bases and working with the pitchers in the pen wearing street clothes. If the coaches wear uniforms and the manager doesn't...well, that seems odd and might drive some kind of wedge between the manager and his staff. I don't see this one changing.
    Besides, if you're going to have players like Terry Forster wearing uniforms, it's hard to complain about how bad the managers look.

Leave a comment:

• Seattle1
    replied
    Originally posted by rodnok1 View Post
    Lasorda... perfect example, suprised his legs didn't snap

Well he did topple over head over tincups at the 2001 MLB All-Star Game MidSummer Classic at SafeCo Field in Seattle, Washington. I still remember that like it was yesterday! I think he kind of felt real embarrassed about that.

Leave a comment:

• DownUnderDodger
    replied
    How about Team Polo Shirt or Dress Shirt, with standard Dress Trousers and Team Jacket?

Leave a comment:

• rodnok1
    replied
    Lasorda... perfect example, suprised his legs didn't snap

I think they should be required to wear uniforms...I don't want my eyes drawn towards ugly and most older men have the fashion sense of ...... an old man Can you imagine chest high pants, black socks, white shoes and an entirely too tight shirt.

Leave a comment:

• Cap78
    replied
    W
    Originally posted by Richard View Post
    Is it time to modernize and tell managers by decree to ditch the uniforms? Older men with pot bellies and spindly legs wearing uniforms look silly.
    Are you saying that lasorda didnt look good?

Leave a comment:

• Bazookadale
    replied
    Originally posted by Richard View Post
    Is it time to modernize and tell managers by decree to ditch the uniforms? Older men with pot bellies and spindly legs wearing uniforms look silly.
    As an older man with a pot belly and spindly legs I can tell you we look silly no matter what we are wearing

Leave a comment:

• Richard
    started a topic managers wearing uniforms

managers wearing uniforms

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X