Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comparing different generations in baseball is the same as comparing video gaming

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Comparing different generations in baseball is the same as comparing video gaming

    Now, before everyone here thinks I'm insane, a little back-story first. Two of my biggest loves are baseball and classic video gaming. I am pretty well known in the latter, and founded Zap! in 1991, with forums up today. So, where's the similarity?

    Well, some will tell you that Cy Young's ERA would explode if he magically telepored to 2012. Likewise, many will say that an above average pitcher like Hiroki Kuroda
    would get just about everyone out in 1890. Perhaps that's true, but you still have to consider Young the far better pitcher, because he dominated far more in his time than Kuroda does in his.

    The same can be said for video games. Some will laugh and say that God of War graphics blow away 1985's Super Mario Bros. While true, SMB was a far bigger game in its day than GOW can ever dream of being, hence SMB always ranks in the all-time best games lists, many times ranking at the top (you can say it's the Babe Ruth of gaming).

    So, does anyone else see the similarities, or have done so in the past?
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

  • #2
    Correct.

    Things change, so eras must always be considered.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by White Knight View Post
      Some will laugh and say that God of War graphics blow away 1985's Super Mario Bros. While true, SMB was a far bigger game in its day than GOW can ever dream of being, hence SMB always ranks in the all-time best games lists, many times ranking at the top (you can say it's the Babe Ruth of gaming).
      I think Space Invaders is the Babe Ruth of gaming. This game totally blew the arcade and gaming wide open and took it to a different stratosphere. Before that, people were playing Pong.
      Last edited by Joltin' Joe; 08-11-2012, 05:34 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Joltin' Joe View Post
        Space Invaders is the Babe Ruth of gaming. This game totally blew the arcade and gaming wide open and took it to a different stratosphere. Before that, people were playing Pong.
        Interesting point. Space Invaders was the first mega hit, in 1978. But Babe Ruth wasn't the first superstar. So I guess 1972's Pong was Cap Anson? I dunno though. To me the 70's in video gaming was still the dead ball era. Some can also say Pac-Man was Babe Ruth.
        Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by White Knight View Post
          Interesting point. Space Invaders was the first mega hit, in 1978. But Babe Ruth wasn't the first superstar. So I guess 1972's Pong was Cap Anson? I dunno though. To me the 70's in video gaming was still the dead ball era. Some can also say Pac-Man was Babe Ruth.
          Would GTA series be the steroid era?

          Comment


          • #6
            Would vector games around 1980 (ex: Asteroids & Battlezone) be considered the Federal League? They came on strong but pretty much faded out quickly.
            "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by White Knight View Post
              Now, before everyone here thinks I'm insane, a little back-story first. Two of my biggest loves are baseball and classic video gaming. I am pretty well known in the latter, and founded Zap! in 1991, with forums up today. So, where's the similarity?

              Well, some will tell you that Cy Young's ERA would explode if he magically telepored to 2012. Likewise, many will say that an above average pitcher like Hiroki Kuroda
              would get just about everyone out in 1890. Perhaps that's true, but you still have to consider Young the far better pitcher, because he dominated far more in his time than Kuroda does in his.

              The same can be said for video games. Some will laugh and say that God of War graphics blow away 1985's Super Mario Bros. While true, SMB was a far bigger game in its day than GOW can ever dream of being, hence SMB always ranks in the all-time best games lists, many times ranking at the top (you can say it's the Babe Ruth of gaming).

              So, does anyone else see the similarities, or have done so in the past?
              You should never play old video games from your youth. you remember those games as so great but if you play them again you think they suck. so don't ruin those memories.

              super mario rocks (of course I haven't played it in 10 years).

              do you still enjoy playing the old games, white knight?
              Last edited by dominik; 08-11-2012, 10:08 AM.
              I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

              Comment


              • #8
                In my neighborhood Ty Cobb would have been Space Invaders and Babe Ruth would have been Asteroids. My memory may be faulty but I remember Space Invaders coming first.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I knew one of the developers of Pong. He wasn't Abner Doubleday.

                  Let's create a new Pacman with a baseball flair where he has to get 27 outs to win each game.
                  "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
                  "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
                    In my neighborhood Ty Cobb would have been Space Invaders and Babe Ruth would have been Asteroids. My memory may be faulty but I remember Space Invaders coming first.
                    Space Invaders then Asteroids then Pac Man then Donkey Kong.

                    Wagner then Cobb then Ruth then DiMaggio.

                    Then came Dragon's Lair/Jackie Robinson and things changed forever.
                    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

                    Comment

                    Ad Widget

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X