Bbf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bbf

What happened to this place? I remember when I first joined the debates were outstanding, I learned something new everyday I came here to read up on some stuff. Now, it just seems like a former shadow of itself. Seems like almost all the great posters have left, and now we get threads like these:

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...vs-Ron-LeFlore
    http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...Johnny-Edwards

No offense intended.

I posted a new thread yesterday - Bagwell vs Carew, which could have been a really interesting debate, and no replies. If this was the old place that I knew and loved it would have had three pages worth of insightful information right now.

I just miss the old BBF, so much more fun.

I know this thread will probably get deleted when a moderator sees it, and I might get infraction for posting this, but I just believe it needed to be said.

I'll still come here from time to time, but it's just such a different experience now, and not for the better.

Sounds like a variation of the "baseball was better back in my day". I've been on this board almost 8 years and I haven't noticed much of a change. and what is wrong with Cowtipper's threads?
    Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 08-10-2012, 08:46 AM.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

A lot of good history guys don't post here anymore. I think part of it is the baseball only rule which make things a little stale.

Comment

There's only so much baseball history to talk about.
        Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

The history aspect of the History of Baseball section was, by far, the best part of this site.

Comment

Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
            The history aspect of the History of Baseball section was, by far, the best part of this site.
            I agree. But when we started talking about the color of Babe Ruth's underwear, Babe Ruth threads had jumped the shark.

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
              I agree. But when we started talking about the color of Babe Ruth's underwear, Babe Ruth threads had jumped the shark.
              I didn't see that. I'm not interested enough in Babe Ruth to go through all his threads.

Comment

I agree that the History section has been somewhat dull lately, since it's become overrun with player comparison threads, which I've never found particularly interesting, but it still has its share of good discussions that pop up from time to time. Overall, BBF is by far my favorite internet forum, and I enjoy it as much as I did when I first started posting here.
                Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

Originally posted by ian2813 View Post
                  I agree that the History section has been somewhat dull lately, since it's become overrun with player comparison threads, which I've never found particularly interesting, but it still has its share of good discussions that pop up from time to time. Overall, BBF is by far my favorite internet forum, and I enjoy it as much as I did when I first started posting here.
                  I think the OP is correct. This site has faded a bit.

Comment

Well, that's your opinion.
                    Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

I like Cowtipper.

Comment

That’s certainly true to some degree, but if you look around, its true of every baseball forum on the web. I routinely post on 7 of them, and over the years they’ve all lost a bit of luster. 10-15 years ago, this was a new medium and people were excited to get in and participate. When I 1st started there were only a few around. From what I can see, BBF’s only been around for about 7 years or so, but unlike most others, the wide range of forums has always given it a wide audience. I started back in ‘98 on what was then a local board.

In the beginning, everyone wanted to participate, but over the years, many have had their questions answered, and so only the hard core old sots like myself and whatever newbies show up on the scene are making up the audience. Heck, every once in a while I go through the member list to see who used to be around, and I remember many names from the past who I used to enjoy bantering with.

In the end, its just not something that is as “fresh“ to as wide an audience. After all, there’s only so many times anyone wants to answer a question about what bat to buy or how to prepare for HS ball, and for anyone really interested, they can usually find something in the archives that will answer their question.
                        The pitcher who’s afraid to throw strikes, will soon be standing in the shower with the hitter who's afraid to swing.

Comment

Originally posted by George H Ruth View Post
                          What happened to this place? I remember when I first joined the debates were outstanding, I learned something new everyday I came here to read up on some stuff. Now, it just seems like a former shadow of itself. Seems like almost all the great posters have left, and now we get threads like these:

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...vs-Ron-LeFlore
                          http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...Johnny-Edwards

No offense intended.

I posted a new thread yesterday - Bagwell vs Carew, which could have been a really interesting debate, and no replies. If this was the old place that I knew and loved it would have had three pages worth of insightful information right now.

I just miss the old BBF, so much more fun.

I know this thread will probably get deleted when a moderator sees it, and I might get infraction for posting this, but I just believe it needed to be said.

I'll still come here from time to time, but it's just such a different experience now, and not for the better.
                          Why do you think either of those things would happen? You're a human being, and you're very much entitled to your opinion.
                          Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by scorekeeper View Post
                            That’s certainly true to some degree, but if you look around, its true of every baseball forum on the web. .
                            I've only been a member of one other forum and that was started by people who left that site because they thought the BBF mods were too heavy handed. That site no longer exists. I would bet that you re right about other baseball forums losing their luster.

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
                              There's only so much baseball history to talk about.
                              "The history of the game of base ball has been partly written at several different times, but there has never been a complete history, and very likely never will be." - Spalding's Official Base Ball Guide, 1878.
                              X
                              What's THAT guy doing?
                              - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X