Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the perfect game the most impressive single game accomplishment in team sports?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiggerODell
    replied
    How about playing 20 years or so and just being a good individual.

Leave a comment:

• Brooklyn
    replied
    Originally posted by Inkling View Post
    They had this exact discussion on a Montreal sports radio station recently (they didn't limit it to 'team' sports though). A lot of the same points were made but another one that was brought up was shooting a 59 on the PGA Tour. Breaking 60 has only been done a handful of times in history. As others have brought up though, it's not as binary as a perfect game, you can always shoot 58 (theoretically, it's never been done on the PGA Tour as far as I know). There's something very 'clean' about a no-hitter or perfect game, it's not a degree of anything.
    I'd agree breaking 60 is incredible, but always though of 50 as "perfect" on a golf course. That's as low as you can score on a normal course without holing one from the fairway

Leave a comment:

• scrabblehack
    replied
    What about quarterback passing efficiency?

The maximum is 158.3. Now a quarterback with 99% completion gets as good of a score as one who throws 77.5%.

Apparently it has happened 60 times. If that goes back to the 1920's, then it might be comparable to the baseball perfect game. Right now, there are 240 NFL games per season....roughly the same for 35 years...yeah Carolina and Jacksonville are new. Before the mid 1970's there were 196 games per season.

Well it looks like it only goes back to 1960. So there have been somewhere around 11000 games, and 22000 chances.
    So only 1/366 or thereabouts.

There are 2430 baseball games per year. If you go back to 1960, there were as few as 1232 per year. Anyway, at least 150000 games, and 300000 chances. So there have been no more than 23 perfect games....1/6522.

So then yes a perfect game is a rarer event than a perfect quarterback passing efficiency.

Leave a comment:

• ipitch
    replied
    Originally posted by yankillaz View Post
    This is my pick
    4 HRs in a game is far more impressive, I'd say.

How many players have even had a chance to bat with the bases loaded twice in an inning? Hard to say, but I would estimate that it's no more than 500. So, 1 in 500.

Now, since all you need is 4+ at-bats, there have been about 2,500,000 chances for a player to hit 4 HRs in a game. 13 have
    done it. That means it's done about 1 out of every 192,000 times.

(if my estimates are correct)

Leave a comment:

• Yankillaz
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Grimm View Post
    I still remember Fernando Tatis' two grand slams in the same inning. I probably wouldn't have stuck so much had he not been on my roto team at the time.

But to have that happen required so many things to fall into place that there's a chance it's never duplicated.
    This is my pick

Leave a comment:

• Inkling
    replied
    They had this exact discussion on a Montreal sports radio station recently (they didn't limit it to 'team' sports though). A lot of the same points were made but another one that was brought up was shooting a 59 on the PGA Tour. Breaking 60 has only been done a handful of times in history. As others have brought up though, it's not as binary as a perfect game, you can always shoot 58 (theoretically, it's never been done on the PGA Tour as far as I know). There's something very 'clean' about a no-hitter or perfect game, it's not a degree of anything.

Leave a comment:

• YankeeMan
    replied
    More good stuff from SABR...

My big question is why so many Perfect Games recently? Here are some theories:

http://sabr.org/research/modeling-pe...tters-baseball

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/16...perfect-games/

Leave a comment:

• GiambiJuice
    replied
    Originally posted by Marc Wallace View Post
    Totally agree. All strikeouts is the perfect target to shoot for. And so far in MLB history, whose perfect game had the most KOs? (Answer below)

(Koufax with 14 vs.Cubs in 1965)
    I believe Matt Cain shares the record.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
    Not only is that very, very difficult to do but also how many times does a batter come to the plate 5 times in one game. Sure it happens but not that often.
    I read about Gehrig's 4 homer game and if I recall in one at bat, game recap described as a long fly ball.
    I'm more impressed with Gehrig's three triples in a game called on account of rain in the fifth inning. At least, the story about it.

Leave a comment:

• DownUnderDodger
    replied
    A bowler netting 10 wickets in an innings in cricket, or a batsman scoring a double or triple century in cricket are arguably as good as or better than a perfect game. Every team sport has its magical moments/performances and it is impossible to compare sport to sport. A perfect game in baseball is as god as it gets for a pitcher, but what about 4HR from 4 at bats by a batter?

Leave a comment:

• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied
    Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
    Didn't Al Simmons steal a homerun from Gehrig in that game? I heard Gehrig refused to talk to Simmons when they vacationed on a cruise ship because of it.
    Simmons did not rob Lou of a home run, mabe an EBH, Lou did fly out very deep to Al in the 9th inning his last at bat.
    Lou homered first 4 at bats, ground out in 5th at bat.

Game recap description..........In Lou's last at bat he flew out to Al Simmons only a few steps from the deepest corner in CF. Another game recap descibes Simmmons a robbing Lou of base hit. So it appears that Simmons had to make a running catch, near the 468 mark.

Shibe Park was 468 feet to centerfield. What I wonder, Simmons started the game in LF then replaced Doc Cramer in CF.
    Possible, maybe Cramer does not catch up with the drive, I would bet Lou would have to go all out and try for an inside the park home run. It was into the deepest part of the park.

Leave a comment:

• chicagowhitesox1173
    replied
    Not only is that very, very difficult to do but also how many times does a batter come to the plate 5 times in one game. Sure it happens but not that often.
    I read about Gehrig's 4 homer game and if I recall in one at bat, game recap described as a long fly ball.
    Didn't Al Simmons steal a homerun from Gehrig in that game? I heard Gehrig refused to talk to Simmons when they vacationed on a cruise ship because of it.

Leave a comment:

• YankeeMan
    replied
    Of all the "Perfect Games," it's the one that's NOT an official perfect game that I like best:

The Babe took the mound at Fenway Park for the first game of a Boston-Washington doubleheader on June 23, 1917. Umpire Brick Owens called the first three pitches to leadoff batter Ray Morgan all balls. After heated jawing, Ruth blew up on Owens’ ball four call and charged with fists flying. Shore loyally maintained decades later that Ruth hadn’t actually struck Owens, but the Bambino admitted in his autobiography, “I really socked him—right on the jaw...They’d put you in jail today for hitting an umpire.” Teammates had to drag the ejected hurler off the diamond.

Player-manager Jack Barry summoned Shore from the bench for an emergency start. “Try to get through this inning,” he said. Shore tossed his five allotted warm-up pitches and began. Morgan tried stealing on the first pitch but Boston catcher Sam Agnew gunned him down. Shore then retired two batters with five more pitches and returned to the dugout. The big right-hander said he felt fine, so Barry sent him to the bullpen to warm up properly while Boston batted.

Shore came back out and retired the next 23 consecutive batters. Then Mike Menosky stepped up to the plate, the last chance for the Senators. The speedy outfielder laid down a bunt ordered by manager Griffith. The bunt was “pretty good,” Shore recalled, but Barry rushed in from second for a bare-hand grab and flip to first for the out. Shore had retired each of the 26 batters he’d faced, plus the man left on base by Ruth.

Years later the former mathematician calculated that he hadn’t thrown 75 pitches the whole game, which he called the easiest he ever pitched. “I just threw it up there,” he said years later, “and they hit it to the outfield or the infield.” (He believed he had pitched better in September 1915 during a crucial 12-inning, 1-0, win at home over Harry Coveleski of the Tigers.)

“Modest Ernie Shore took a place in the Hall of Fame as a no-hit, no-run, no-man-reached-first base pitcher,” the Boston Globe later proclaimed of the Washington game. But whether it constituted a perfect game or simply a unique no-hitter would be debated for decades. The only clarity in 1917 came from William Harridge, secretary of the American League. He wired a sportswriter a month afterward: “Ernie Shore is credited with a no-hit game in the official scores of June 23.”

[ATTACH]113436[/ATTACH][ATTACH]113437[/ATTACH]
    http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/6073c617
    Well, excluding Don Larsen.
    [FYI: YankeeMan's been SABR Member since 1994 - JOIN TODAY at www.sabr.org!]
    Attached Files
    Last edited by YankeeMan; 08-20-2012, 12:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Grimm
    replied
    I still remember Fernando Tatis' two grand slams in the same inning. I probably wouldn't have stuck so much had he not been on my roto team at the time.

But to have that happen required so many things to fall into place that there's a chance it's never duplicated.

Leave a comment:

• jnakamura
    replied
    Usually if a team scores 5 or more runs you'll have players with 5 PAs

I checked 3 random box scores from yesterday (with 5+ run totals) and counted 8 players with 5 and one with 6.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X